Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E63 owner ponders E72

Counsellor
pellicle
Accepted Solution

E63 owner ponders E72

I have an E63 which I've been using for a few months now and quite like. I have been wondering if an E72 may be a worthy upgrade or if there would be little point.

Predominately I'm thinking that since I've been making good use use of the E63 maps (bought a BT GPS) but they need registration yearly (only a few bucks) that navigatoin on the E72 would be nicer (and I won't need to remember the GPS, but won't hurt if I have it.

I have heard that the E72 does not support sattelite information as my E51 did and the E63 does.

I'm thinking that the higher data speeds and CPU on the E72 may also make skype via 3G nicer too. Does anyone here know?

Naturally I've compared the specs on gsm arena and looked at a few reivews. So just wondering if anyone here has any opinions they'd be willing to share.

Sadly after reading around it starts to look to me that the E63 is about the best cost/benefit phone and that the E72 has some significant bugs in it.

thoughts welcome

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
thetao

Re: E63 owner ponders E72

I don't own an E72, but an E73, which is very similar except for some differences in the case design and the built-in software.  Given the similarities, I've closely followed E72 firmware bugs and updates.  There were apparently a number of complaints when the E72 was first released, I think mostly due to stability and memory use issues...but I've seen few complaints from the latest 081.003 firmware.  FP2 phones require a lot more ram than FP1 phones, though, leaving the E72 with only around 40 MB free once booted.  (Your E63 may have around twice as much.)  This is nowhere near enough for the browser on large web pages and when running several large apps simultaneously, and it's apparently a design issue that can't be fixed.  This hasn't been a huge problem for me: it's a phone, and I don't expect it to do everything that a full computer can.

You've seen the upsides in the specs: free maps with voice navigation, accelerometer, magnetometer, secondary camera, 16 GB memory cards, etc.  Also the newest browser is 7.3.x and (in spite of the memory limitations) is likely more compatible with newer web sites.  Nokia Email also does a better job with HTML email and has a better implementation of Mail for Exchange.

The E63 doesn't support 3G?  I thought it did.  For any kind of voice, data, or video streaming, more speed is always better.  The E72 uses both traditional satellite-based GPS and AGPS, and should be at least as good as the E63.  GPS can sometimes take a long time to get a satellite signal.  Not sure why.

Some people buy a new phone or a new graphics card every year...or lease their car and get a new car every 2 years?  I am not one of those people. :smileyhappy:  I expect to use this E73 for a long time, but did recently start thinking about an N8 or a 701.  The E72 is a very capable phone, but unless you feel really constrained by something on the E63, you may want to save your money for now.  Hope that helps a little.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

As an alternative have you considered the newer E5 or E6 models instead? E5 is generally reasonably priced and considered a successor to the E63. E6 is a bit more expensive but it has a newer operating system and touch.

E5: http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-e5

E6: http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-e6-00

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pellicle

Hi

thanks for your reply. I didn't question E63 using 3G, but that the data rate on 3G was slower (does not support HDSPA . The E72 is HSDPA, 10.2 Mbps; HSUPA 2 Mbps while the E63 is only 384kbps.

I can probably live without the sattelite information (how many sattelites you have available) on the GPS

Would you mind expanding on the FP1 and FP2 points please? I'm wondering if this means firmware revision and if I can just leave the phone (or reset back to) on the initial firmware?

thanks for your inputs

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pellicle

hey psychomania ... had considered both those phones. Perhaps will look more at them.

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
thetao

The FP2 Nokia GPS can see 32 satellites.  (Hmm, that's 5 more than are apparently in the sky.  Perhaps this helps future-proof the phone?)  In Control Panel, there is a separate GPS Data app, which among other things includes the Satellite Status screen.

Keep in mind that I don't own an E72 owner, but from comments here, the latest firmware seems the most bug-free.  Some previous revisions were embarrassingly buggy.  I wouldn't recommend an older version, and downgrading generally can't be done.

My FP1 vs. FP2 comments were mostly about RAM use.  There are lots of other FP2 changes, too: use of the center navi button as a 3rd menu (in addition to the 2 soft keys), screen navigation animation (can be disabled), rewritten drivers (apparently FP1 phones tethered to a computer can't simultaneously share the data connection with the phone), and lots of other little things.  Look for a review.  But the RAM use doesn't change much with firmware upgrades.  The original E72, the latest 081.003 firmware, and everything in-between all leave you with about 40 MB free.  The E5 breaks this mold with 256 MB of RAM, but then Nokia went cheap on everything else: cheaper screen, cheaper camera, no 2nd camera or accelerometer or magnetometer, etc.  I won't get into the newer touch-based phones.  FP2 phones from other lines (like the C5-00) may be better or worse, but excluding the E5, you should probably expect around 40 MB free on any FP2 phone.  Was that better? :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pellicle

thetao; yes thanks helps a lot :-)

Merry Christmas Everyone
Please use plain text.
Sage
ovikovi

thetao wrote:
You've seen the upsides in the specs: free maps with voice navigation, accelerometer, magnetometer, secondary camera, 16 GB memory cards, etc. 

Just a very small point:

E63 supports 16GB cards just fine (not sure if this is mentioned in specs or not, but it's definitely working).

Please use plain text.
Lexandiy

Hi, my phone history looks like this: [don't remember] --> Nokia E60 --> Samsung i7110 (also Symbian S60) --> Nokia E72 --> Samsung Wave S8500 (oops, Bada!) --> Nokia E63 (back to Symbian... quite happy!).

I like E63 much more than E72:

• not so thin and not so slippy - lies in hand more comfortably,
  • more comfortable buttons (those that are above QWERTY) - they are simply not flat and that's great! :smileyhappy:,
  • not so buggy firmware (but maybe I was just out of luck with it),
  • no payment for misc. bloatware,
  • no payment for built-in GPS receiver (my external LD-3W works a lot better!),
  • no payment for megapixels and front camera,
  • no payment for strange optical joystick (one will never like it if there's any experience with such at Samsung i7110).

The two things I dislike at E63 are:

• no separate volume buttons,
  • rather slow processor,

- but I'm certainly ready to live with that :smileyhappy:

I think that E63 has better value for money.

That's my personal opinion, of course. Anyway it's a forum - all opinions are personal :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

If you considering E72, buy second hand cause of the price for new ones is even higher as for the E6, in Sweden anyhow.

E6 can be bought for euro 200 here now and is more powerful and faster (good graphic processor) and will have better updates in the years to come...

I see auto focus for close up pictures as the only main reason for buying E72.

And perhaps applications from certain suppliers that for moment isnt supported by Symbian 3, for example symplayer from telexy.com.

comparisons

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hughm_nyksj_dk

As the owner of two E72s I'd go along with that. I think the camera bit is a darned shame, because I also make good use of the E72's business card / text scanner and wouldn't use the camera for decent shots anyhow. Perhaps somebody already made a card scanner app for Symbian ^3/Anna to provide the function via an ordinary digital camera (perhaps even one connected by Bluetooth (if not - please make it, somebody!))

After 18 months with E72s I feel I'm getting left behind really fast software-wise, and that's not going to get better.

I don't have an E6 but it doesn't seem to be making much of a stir on the these pages. No news really can be good news.

When you've tried a faster processor you won't want to go back and the one in the E63 and E61i (which I also still use) are slooow by comparison - right from startup.

The E72 screen is smaller than the E63 (2.4"?). At 2.46", the E6 screen is a bit bigger _and_  hi-res at 640 x 480. Although the E72 keypad isn't bad, it, too, is narrower that E63 and E6. I like the E72's Optipad thing and have learned when NOT to use it. It's excellent for scrolling through e.g. the BBC website in the Nokia browser.

A second hand E72 might be an option but make sure it doesn't have issues.

There is the issue of some earlier Symbian apps not working with Anna, but my favourite, the ViewRanger mapping app is said to work. I never had problems with my E72s' GPS - those who do have likely got a faulty phone or live among skyscrapers. I get the same results with the built-in and an external Holux USB GPS.

Sorry this is a mess...

hughm_nyksj_dk
Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

[ Edited ]

As video cam E6 is far better than E72 and even for photo shooting, at least I think so.

Faster bluetooth transfers, hot-swopable memory card also and the excellent qwerty on E6.

The screen is far more crispy and vibrant on E6, but when surfing I use Opera, (not opera mini) as you can adjust pages to bigger fonts as you like. Sometimes is Nokia browser better though.

The learning curve is higher for E6 when you adjust the screen resolution with opera, built in adjustments and font magnifier, but when you are familiar with these settings you sure not want to use E72 anymore...This is the main disadvantage with the high resolution but the main reason for me is, removable battery, excellente talking quality (noise cancelling mic) and the best possible receptions to the 3G whe on the move in car, by foot in the city.

The bluetoth is great on E6 and I also think the audio quality is high standard.

The Nokia E6 is a bargain at prices around Euro 225... www.elgiganten.se

PS Soon also E6 as all Symbian 3 Anna, Belle, will have the Microsoft Mobile Office for free, for example OneNote DS

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pellicle

[ Edited ]

Hi

ok, well 3 days ago I took delivery of an E72 (type 1) which I thought would solve this question.

Here are som initial thoughts in no particular order:

did any of the reviewers ever have their hands on both devices (as they claim to have done)? If yes then they are often not very observant.

the predictive text on the E72 can not hold a candle to that of the E63. The E63 outshines it so much as to be truly a shame on the developers of the E72. The omission of capitalisation of i on the E72 let alone inclusion of ' in didn't is pathetic. Step backwards on that one

Data rates on 3G are stunning on the E72, as expected by specification.

Skype runs well on the 3G network, but I am as yet unable to find a version of skype which allows the front facing camera to be used. Thus the front facing camera is a bit of a "hip pocket on at T-Shirt"

Screen on E72 has much nicer colour range, and seems to be slightly better outside in the light of the sun

Optical navi key is pretty much what you read (and no I didn't like it much but thought it had potential). I thought this quote summed it up neatly

"I felt as if a swipe of the Optical Navi Key should trigger kinetic scrolling, a capability not built into the E72's operating system. The wish for kinetics makes sense when you consider that the Optical Navi Key is not effective for scrolling, unlike a continual press on the d-pad."

Keyboard is actually a weeny bit smaller than the E63, it is noticable when you've spent time on the E63

Unable to zoom in and look around the better images from the camera on the E72. Strange as the gallery on the E63 did this nicely with keyboard shortcuts too.

Maps do not navigate any better than those on the E63, and it seems (anyone have a fix?) the accellerometer does nothing in maps. Meaning that maps on the E63 with a Bluetooth GPS are just as effective. Time taken to get a sattelite lock is often longer than the drive there (read 45 minutes) while my E63 using the BT GPS just gets the lock in 5 or 10 min. Yawn

Perhaps version 3 maps is nicer for searching.

Message creation has less options when creating "new message" perhaps this is to help dummies, but I actually learned from the E63's menu that I could create and send an audio message with less difficulty than an MMS with an attached audio.

I do not know why in New Message on the E72 I do not get Create: MMS, only Message and Audio Message. This prevents me from attaching a subject to the MMS and thus using it more like an email to a phone via phone system. Poor oversight if you ask me

The E63 seems to automatically engage the recorder and save the audio file in the right 'codec'  when activated from MMS

The mail app is nice enough and I do like the "look" of that mail client better than that of my E63's .. reminds me a lot of the E51 I had. Personally I use my mail as IMAP and do not really "keep" it on the phone for long. I then deal with it more long term on Thunderbird or on the corporate mail. Thus the clearing of the inbox (on the phone once mail is read on the main client) is to me a good thing.

configuration of browser keys is nice on the E72

hands free speaker is whimpy, even on flat surface or upside down. E63 wins hands down there.

Do not like the inversion of the physical feel of the one-touch keys. Prefer the top and bottom rows to be pronated and the one touch keys down.

WHY CAN'T THEY PUT RED AND GREEN COLOUR ON THE CALL AND HANG UP ... I will be using a texta on this from the underside asap

Just like the E51 I love the "breathing" light.

Don't care much for the side buttons for volume. If you happen to be left handed they don't work well. D ring works which is good.

Love that I can move icons around in their groups, that can't be done on my E63. It helps me to arrange things into an order that the apps which are not on my home screen can be found fast

Love the E72's scanner, works fine for most business cards. If you know diddley squat about how OCR works it is just a great system. If you don't know anything and its all "white mans magic" then you'll be frustrated and probably have problems.

Discovered that camera AF can be achieved without the optical navi by pressing and holding the main button till AF is acquired,  then releasing the button to take the picture. handy.

Torch on the E72 is a legend .. much wider in spread and brighter.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pellicle

I must say that I'm also one of the disappointed that Nokia have munged up the IMAP on the E72. Unless you sign up with Nokia (giving them your user name and password [like surrree]) your phone will drop your connection (to your IMAP account) 300 seconds after obtaining it. Even though it may not drop your internet connection.

I'd just love to hear from the developers on *that one*

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hughm_nyksj_dk

I gave up trying to 'synchronise' my ordinary IMAP account (let's call it 'X') with my E72s, mainly because the phone uses more juice that way because it has to check at such regular intervals to be of any use.

There's nowt wrong with OVI mail, though. You're not giving Nokia anything, because OVI mail runs on Yahoo! It gets me my mail moments after it's been sent. And now I have my 'X' account send all my mail to OVI mail and set it to require manual send and receive. So I get my mails without using as much battery, and can always reply to mail from my 'X' account if I need to. I use another accpount altogether for mail from expected senders - e.g. daily newsletters - and only ever check that one manually when away from home.

Only thing I don't like about OVI mail concerns the web interface. Although it's fairlly well thought out, it decides which language you use, and although its security check is re-assuring, it _always_ seems to want me to decifer the wobbly letters when I'm in a rush...

Never miss a message - well, never say never but...

hughm_nyksj_dk
Please use plain text.
Kbdavies1

"I do not know why in New Message on the E72 I do not get Create: MMS, only Message and Audio Message. This prevents me from attaching a subject to the MMS and thus using it more like an email to a phone via phone system. Poor oversight if you ask me"

Not quite. Open a new message, choose "Options", then "message header fields", and click on "subject".

This creates a "subject" field in the message, if when filled, will automatically turns the message into a MMS message. If leftt empty, the message remains a SMS message.

This also allow you to choose if you want the "Cc" and "Bcc" fields in your messages.

Please use plain text.
Kbdavies1

The main problem the E72 will have relative to the E63 is the lack of RAM.

Contrary to what some may believe, this is a major problem that undermines the phone quite seriously. Not only is the RAM insufficient, but it seems the phone suffers from serious memory leakage as evidenced by a lack of increase in RAM even when ALL apps are turned off.

This problem makes the native browser unusable and also the Nokia Maps. And this is only with ONE other program running. The only viable workaround is to turn the phone off, then on again. Not good enough.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pellicle

Hi Hughm

>I gave up trying to 'synchronise' my ordinary IMAP account (let's call it 'X') with my E72s,

>mainly because the phone uses more juice that way because it has to check at

>such regular intervals to be of any use.

interesting, as my experience is that on 3G it does not make any noticable difference to my E63. I have used EnergyPro to monitor battery use and indeed can see nothing to indicate any such drains. I have also performed the same tests on the E72 (for the duration of 5min that it stays on IMAP) and also see no difference.

I have been actually thinking of putting this evidence up on a blog post.

Having your phone connected to WiFi does impact the battery life (and is visible in the power consumption graphs).

The connection manager also keeps my connection open (unlike Android) and means that I get to keep my phone on 3G running Skype and IMAP for the entire day at work without effecting my battery life.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pellicle

Hi
>Not quite. Open a new message, choose "Options", then "message header fields", and click on "subject".
This creates a "subject" field in the message, if when filled, will automatically turns the message into a MMS message

true, but you have to remember to take those fields out again or the next message will contain them and be an MMS too ... it is none the less clunky in my view.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pellicle

but the E63 and the E72 have the same amount of ram ... or so I thought (ram, not storage memory).

I agree that this is a more notable restrictoin on the E72 because the browser is so good that you want to use it more.

E72 seems to be better at style sheets too

Please use plain text.