Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E7 does NOT have Gorilla glass

Sage
seppuku
Accepted Solution

E7 does NOT have Gorilla glass

Gentlemen,

I mistakenly assumed the E7 having Gorilla glass also after the big N8 promo. Do not use the handset without a screen protector. Even a soft object will ruin the screen surface.

Since 1610
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

totally untrue , however all handsets need reasonable and sensible care !

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
seppuku

[ Edited ]

What is untrue?

If you mean the Gorilla glass - I called Nokia support for that. They confirmed that it's regular glass. Then again, they also told one of the members here that the E7 does not support Remote SIM.

Since 1610
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

What is untrue? The fact that you say the E7 does not have gorilla glass. That is not true.

The E7 has gorilla glass.
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

I was merely stating that the post was untrue , that the E7 has the same glass as the N8 and that expensive pieces of technology require reasonable care ! Admittedly the E7 doesn't require as much care as , say , a phone with a weak glass on both the front and rear of the handset , but obviously a degree of common sense and care is required ! #justsayin

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

seppuku wrote:
Then again, they also told one of the members here that the E7 does not support Remote SIM.

My E7 has remote SIM option, I don't use it but I've attached a screen shot to say it supports remote sim.

If a reply has solved your problem click Accept as solution button, doing it will help others know the solution. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

The nokia E7 HAS Gorilla Glass and Remote Sim

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

well that's cleared that up then ! Time to move on :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
seppuku

"but obviously a degree of common sense and care is required !"

This is my first handheld device ever having a tiniest scratch on the screen, not to mention in 2 weeks of ownership. All just because one walk with the phone facing the wallet in my jacket pocket.

Since 1610
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

I've had mine for two months and it is unmarked, having said that Diamonds can be cut ? The fact you have a matk on your phone does not mean the E7 doen't have Gorilla Glass, it means something has scratched it, if you believe the handset is faulty, take the issue up with Nokia, no one has ever claimed the phone is indistructable, just that it is robust, the net is full of video's showing people trying to damage the N8 with the same screen, but at the end of the day, the way you treat the phone will affect the condition it ends up in, sorry you're not happy with it, but if you've only had it two weeks you should be able to retutn it ? 

Good Luck

Please use plain text.
Sage
seppuku

You have completely misunderstood me. I called Nokia to ask why the screen scratches so easily. They said it's regular, not Gorilla glass. That's it. I do not intend to return it because I took the GG hype too seriously and misplaced it once.

Since 1610
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

[ Edited ]
No screen is able to escape damage at some stage of its life, protection is always a must,constantly putting your phone into a pocket with keys or coins over time will have some effect,you should look up and understand what gorilla glass is all about before making statements that can not be verified,you may have been talking to a junior or new member of staff for example.To close the topic the phone has gorilla glass thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

If you want to protect you phone do what I do. Put a screen protector on the glass screen and when out and about carry your phone in a case or pouch. A little commonsense goes a long way. Carrying a phone in a pocket without any form of protection shows a complete lack of common sense. IMO anyway.

Please use plain text.
Sage
seppuku

FFS, stop it. I misplaced the device ONE TIME in a jacket pocket facing the wallet, not coins or keys. The zipper, made of Nylon, scratched the screen. The metal part of the zipper made a deeper scratch but that's not the issue. Nokia contacted me this morning and confirmed that this is not normal and will cover it by warranty.
Since 1610
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

less of the abbreviations please for language,use your head and get protection.
so now your saying the NYLON zipper did not make the mark but the metal part did its just pure carelessness on your behalf.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Sage
seppuku

"so now your saying the NYLON zipper did not make the mark"

No I'm not, please pay attention.
Since 1610
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

E7 does have Gorilla glass

For all I know, your device could have a screen which has some defect. I don't know if that's possible but there might be. However, gorilla glass has never been known as a screen which can take whatever beating, but it should take some. And as Nokia has told you, it's not normal.

Since my previous phone desire (s-lcd - no gorilla glass) and with the E7 now I have not use any screen protectors and not had one single scratch. - Not even on the desire which is supposed to handle less.

Looks like you get it sorted and maybe could stop this thread now as it's kind of missleading.

Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Sage
seppuku

Re: E7 does have Gorilla glass

"For all I know, your device could have a screen which has some defect. I don't know if that's possible but there might be."

Looks like this is the case:

"Strangely our US model acquired a few small scratches on the display within hours of being unboxed, despite being treated gently, while the other one survived an entire rough and tumble week at CTIA unscathed."

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/11/nokia-e7-review/

Since 1610
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Taigatrommel

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to throw in an official word here. Take a look at the comments on the story about the Nokia C7 presentation upon Nokia Conversations.

The C7 product manager, Tim Allen, states:

But yes, I can confirm that the devices you listed (Nokia C6-01, Nokia E7 and Nokia N8) have Gorilla Glass display window. I can also confirm that those devices do not include NFC components.

A second official word can be found on The Nokia Blog:

If you love the inclusion of Gorilla Glass on the Nokia N8, we have good news for you. All glass displays on Nokia phones will come from Gorilla Glass according to senior design manager for smartphones, Niilo Alfthan. 

On a more personal note:

Gorilla Glas is just tougher than common glas, not scratch resistent. There are quite some tests around the web which shows that even Gorilla Glas can be scratched easily in the wrong situation. Grains of sand in your pocket or worse in your (leather) pouche, which scratch along the display can damage the glas. Just a few days ago I read a rather unserious experiment where somebody easily scratched his Motorola Defy (semi-outdoor phone with gorilla glas) using water and sand. The screen was heavily scratched afterwards.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

m just curious here(could be off topic as well)... the sound i hear when i tap the screen gives an impression as if its plastic... doesnot sound like a glass at all.. can some one enlighten me why this is so... is it because of the technology?

Please use plain text.