Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E7 "connect USB cable to device"

sevennikke7

E7 "connect USB cable to device"

I have one week old E7 and today it keeps giving notice "connect USB cable to device"

When I connect it to PC or charger it says "unsupported USB device. Disconnect device"

So I can not charge the phone, is there something I can do myself to fix this matter ?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I don't know why your E7 is giving you that message.  My E7 doesn't do that. However, people here may be able to help a little if you let us know what PC / Mac system you are trying to connect to with the USB cable - which operating system is running on that machine (WIndows XP/ Vista/ Win7 etc)

It took a very long time for my Dell PC running Windows 7 to recognise my E7 when it first connected by USB- perhaps 10 minutes, while Windows ran off down the internet to find suitable drivers, which it did ultimately find, all by itself. Now it connects very happily to my Dell.  (You'll also need to download Nokia's Ovi Suite software from the Nokia website to do useful things with your E7/PC USB connection once the connection is working.)

To work with a Mac you'll need to download Nokia's "Nokia Multimedia Transfer" software that runs on OS X.   It works very well, but doesn't have quite the functionality of Ovi Suite.

Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

The request suggests a faulty handset to me ? If so it will need to be repaired or replaced, as this would involve the phone losing all data and apps, I would suggest trying a reset, same effect, but you'll be no worse off and it may avoid you having to return the phone. If you can't connect to pc set up sync with your Ovi Account, if you don't have one , set it up here

http://www.ovi.com/services/welcome

Sync your contacts, calendar and notes, and then dial *#7370# followed by 12345 (if a password is required) and the E7 will reset to 'outof the box, but you will have to set it up again and install any apps you want and any media you had on the phone. If the phone does not function properly after this , your only course of action ic Nokia Care  :smileysad:

Good Luck

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
sevennikke7

I have not used it with PC anything else than charging so far. This message came by it self and small light next to USB port it lit all the time even nothing is connected and USB symbol is blinking in the sreen also all the time.  I am afraid this is something I can not fix myself.

Please use plain text.
sevennikke7

Thank you sync worked fine.

Reset did not work it said that need to end all active call and connections first.

Will go tomorrow to Nokia Care...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

This message could be because of improper USB-OTG connection and if the USB device/Thumb drive isn't disconnected properly after connection or dust in the USB port. I came across this situation where the device was throwing frequent errors, what I did was connect the USB-OTG cable again then connected a thumb drive and disconnected it using 'remove drive' option, you can also blow some air in the port if there is some dust stuck in, hope this helps. 

If a reply has solved your problem click Accept as solution button, doing it will help others know the solution. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sparky_1

This message came by it self and small light next to USB port it lit all the time even nothing is connected and USB symbol is blinking in the sreen also all the time. I am afraid this is something I can not fix myself.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sparky_1

have one week old E7 and today it keeps giving notice "connect USB cable to device"

When I connect it to PC or charger it says "unsupported USB device. Disconnect device"

So I can not charge the phone, is there something I can do myself to fix this matter ?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sivamaker

in usb connector having 5 pins. If 4th pin short with gnd then mobile will consider as otg cable connected with ur device. So it will ask connect the usb device. If u connect the pen drive, mouse, keyboard it will work. So pbm in the 4th pin short. Check the device.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sydneysthebest

hi sparky- did you fix the problem with the usb cable light flashing, eventhough u have nothing attached??? i have the exact same problem now. not happy at all with the phone- as it keeps restrating all by itself.. cant even backup my phone without some error coming up :smileysad: please advise what you did to fix it. thanks.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sheldrick

Hey Sevennikke7, Welcome to the Nokia Forums.

To fix the problem, try the following solutions:

• disconnect the USB cable and connect it again.
  • If you use a USB hub, try connecting the phone directly to the computer.
  • If you use a USB hub with an external power source, make sure that it has been switched on.
  • Check the USB cable for problems and replace if necessary.
  • If your phone asks you for the connection mode that you want to use, make sure that you select Nokia Suite(or PC Suite) on your phone.
  • Disconnect the cable, restart the computer, and try again.
  • Keep in mind that if you remove USB devices without using the Safely Remove Hardware tool in the Windows taskbar, connection problems may appear.

Also, if your connection suddenly stops working, you can try to repair it in the following way:

• Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel (called Programs and Features in Microsoft Windows 7).
  • Select Nokia Suite in the list of applications and click Change/Remove.
  • In the dialog that appears, choose Repair.Nokia Suite then checks that all the needed files are intact and repairs any errors that were found.

I hope this helps and you manage to resolve your issue.

Sheldrick

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, Kudos my post if my advice has helped you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
crazyvinci

none of the stuffs mentioned above had been working, repaired the nokia suite, reboot pc, reboot mobile phone, clean the usb port, cable, and stuffs to see if there's no dust or whatever, but still get the same freaking msg, "unsupported" or it doesn't do anything at all !!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
crazyvinci

DO SOMETHING USEFUL THAT"LL REALLY HELP!!!! :@
Please use plain text.
kepriad

There is only one solution to this and that is you have to go to nokia care and it is still under warrenty ask them to replace the mother board.
This is not of some software and charger problem.
From my experience.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Vipcanabis

[ Edited ]

Dear all,

My E7 with symbian Belle got notice about "Mobile Data off, No connect available" every 5 second. Its happen sometime only, when I using multitask or just watching my photo in galary and it cause my phone run very slow. I was hard reset 1 time but still not solve.

I tried google but look like not much info about my issue.

Im already log out : *Social services, *Email services, etc.

So hope that you guy here can help me to know reason why and how to solve

Im looking forward to your reply

Thanks to all,

Best regard

PS : I just can use my phone about 2 days then must recharge (Im usually listen music), no active "power save mode", only F-SECURE application is running background, turn off mobile at night and this battery I have been bought 1 month ago at nokia care center.

I just wonder is this normally ?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MarlonR

I had the same problem and fixed it an hour ago. Connect your phone to your PC. A message saying "unsupported USB device. Disconnect device" will pop up on your phone. OK the message. Autorun will then run and pick up your phone. Then you have to 'safely remove hardware" from your PC. This will fix your problem. And in future always "safely remove hardware before you rip out your phone from your PC.I learnt the hard way.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rohichan

i have connected the phone to computer thru USB cord , the message went away . and then i tried searching for the USB on hard disc but the computer does not show the USB , neither does the phone show the usb connection. i think will need to go to nokia care
Please use plain text.
Contributor
abhi77770

Mr. Sparky..

Im having the same issue...

Is ur problem solved?

If yes then can u help me by tellin how did u get it done?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sar6saransh

Thank You Marlon R.. I too had the same problem and your reply helped me get out of it.. Thanks again..
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DeeYyIi

Had just similar issue after some sea water was spilled over the phone. The phone complained about USB connection for hours, untill I finally de/attached the USB blug multiple times untill the notification disapeared.

Please use plain text.