Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E7 useless connectivity

Advisor
robcompton

E7 useless connectivity

Since my N900 broke, and I sent it to the Nokia Care Centre for repair, they kindly "upgraded" me to a E7. Hunk of junk. Not an upgrade - from a device with an operating system on it which you can easily configure, to something that just doesn't work. It's cr*p.

Yes it's pretty.

Where shall I start. Other than not happy.

First - I have two WLANs, one at home with WEP security, the other is open with MAC address security. The work WLAN seems to work OK - the E7 connects to my ISP's email server etc.. all OK. Home - it connects, the drops the connection, the connects, sometimes stays connected, sometimes not. Connectivity through it is nil. It can't connect to OVI, mail servers, or anything else. My N900 used to work faultlessly. An old N95 that I keep around here works fine. I've been through the settings time and time again, nothing is incorrect.

Second - bluetooth connetivity is rubbish. I have to turn bluetooth off and on again to get it to connect to the handsfree kit in my car (Parrot MKi9200). My N900, N95, E71, E65, my wife's C6, X6, and N78 all connect quickly without a fight!

Finally - Symbian ANNA Update via Ovi fails on 2/2 every time. I have read the many threads on this subject, and have found no solution yet. OVI suggested de-installing and re-installating OVI Suite and trying again, done that, three times, no help.

Nokia Care offered me a N8 as an alternative to this piece of junk, since it runs the same OS, I can't see it being any better. I want a N9. I'll probably buy a good second user N900 off of eBay so I can at least have a phone that works until N9s appear on the market.

Help me Obe-Wan, can you help :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Welcome to Nokia E7 hell, if you have symbian Anna installed on it, its even worse. My advice is:

Go to Nokia Care Centre to have it reflashed. After that Do not update your OVI Shop, just skip it otherwsie that the begining of troubles. Install or necessary sftwares if possible and install Anna update 1 of 2 as 2 is not important as far as my E7 is concerned and it works fine. I had the same painful experience but after having it reflashed am happy to use it with anything really.

Don't forget to back up on PC

Please use plain text.
Advisor
robcompton

Many thanks for that.

I think I'll drop it in a bucket of water in that case.

I do hope my replacement N900 turns up soon, this thing is driving me potty.

It connects to the interweb via WAP/HSDPA, or via my un-encrypted WLAN. But the encrypted WLAN offers no connectivity at all - even though the phone connects to it happily. If I drop the encryption off, connectivity is there, switch WEP on and it disappears.

Not impressed at all.

Oddly enough, my wife's C6-01 does the same.

Going back to my first "smart" Nokia - a E70 - that had excellent connectivity, was my first one to support SiP and connect to my phone system.  The E65 that replaced it was good too, and the N95, the E71 worked happily, and the N900 - spot on - but that's a proper smartphone with a real operating system.

I want a proper solution - there must be some setting somewhere in this contraption that will sort it out. Otherwise, I'm afraid I have to say that it's not fit for purpose.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

Perhaps the router could be more polite after a reset of the same. Perhaps even a reset with the car appliance to?
Routers live by their own very often
. Especially after many different connected devices.....hell! I have conquered over many vivcous routers....they cam be like Dr Jekyll & Hyde or even a woman.....
Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Advisor
robcompton

Thanks for that Ztuka.

I have tried all of those things - resetting the router - just the same, the E7 connects to it, but that's as far as it goes.

Just to prove that it does connect to it, and I'm not dreaming, I delete the access point, find it again, enter the wrong WEP code and it refuses - just how it should be. I then enter the right code and hey presto it connects - but that's as far as connectivity goes. No routes to the world though.

Disable security on the router, and it all works. Re-enable security - no connectivity.

It all worked with my N900 - oh how I want one back - or a N9.......

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

Maybe you are to sneaky...and the devices pulling your leg? Discharge the it for 1 hour...maybe that will cool her or them!! off :-)
Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Sage
WhiteVanMan

@ robcompton, You haven't got mac address filtering set-up in/on your router by any chance And maybe forgotten to add your E7 and your missus C6 to the filter list ?, Or maybe you set filtering up ages ago and have just forgotten about it ?.

Nokia E6 (FW:021.014), Unbranded, Sim-Free, Unlocked.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
robcompton

No MAC security on the home WLAN - just WEP (because I have a couple of older devices that don't support anything newer or more secure)

Judging by the number of people with similar problems to mine, with N8's and other Anna phones, I'm surprised that someone from the factory hasn't 'fessed up and said, err.. yes there is a problem, and you need to do..... this.....

Perhaps with Elop getting rid of Symbian development, nobody can be bothered anymore?

Please use plain text.
Sage
metal_might

E7 does should not have the problems you say. did you try 3 button reset and installing symb anna 1/2 alone?

and please, oh puhleeez FFS: do not compare a flimflam toy that is E7 to N900 or earlier E-series!

Please use plain text.