Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E71 Corrupted 8gb memory card. How to reformat?

E71 Corrupted 8gb memory card. How to reformat?

My E71 has corrupted my memory card for no apparent reason. The problem I have is that it now wont let be reformat it because it thinks its encrypted, which it isnt. Is there any way to reformat my memory card despite this apparent "encryption" and start again? Im not impressed with this device destroying my card...
Please use plain text.
Sage
bedanmick

Re: E71 Corrupted 8gb memory card. How to reformat?

Have you tried to put the memory card in a computer and format it there?
Please use plain text.

Doesn't work. Even tried it in Ubuntu but no effect
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I assume by "encrypted" you mean that you are being prompted for a microSD card PW, a PW which you never set? If that's the case, your card IS effectively encrypted, even though you had nothing to do with it! You will also sometimes (always, for me) get a "card corrupted" message if you power the phone off/on, but the solution there is to remove/reinsert the card, at which point it is read properly.

I've had E-series phones TWICE set random PW's on SD cards on which I had placed NO PW whatsoever. Both times, this happened in the context of resetting the phone (an E60 in my case) to the factory defaults. In my case, the phone could read the card after the reset, and I then smugly restored all of my data to the phone from by card-based backup. The phone then did a reset (normal after such a restore), but then requested a PW to be able to read the card! I had set NONE!

After some equivocating, Nokia support admitted (by phone -- no written record, of course) that the E60 had applied a random PW to the SD card. Nothing could be done. Nokia as much as said "Nokia's fault, your problem" claiming that because the card was not a Nokia-brand card, they weren't responsible, even though they didn't even suggest that the fault was with the card, but rather the phone. Seriously irritating.

The cards were made by Kingston, and have a lifetime warranty. I explained the situation to Kingston, and they said as much as "Nokia's fault, but our problem" and sent brand new cards! I was impressed by Kingston's support. They indicated they'd had similar reports about Nokia phones pulling this stunt.

There ARE devices (eBay) which will remove the PW and also destroy all of the data. Given the price of microSD cards now, it's usually better to just get a new card. A KINGSTON card, in my opinion. You will NOT find a way to recover data directly from your now-locked SD card. Neither will you find the Nokia-generated PW anywhere in a hidden file on your phone. And you won't find a way to format it either as long as it is PW-protected. It's a really secure little card. I still backup my phone to the SD card, but also backup both phone AND card to my PC. Keep a copy of that SD card somewhere for days like this...

BUT, after those fiascos, I began putting a PW on my SD cards, reasoning that Nokia can't do so if one is already there. Not sure of that logic, but I've had no further such troubles. So, I have concluded after nearly two years of no further episodes that the trick is to always set your OWN PW on these cards so that your phone won't surprise you by doing it for you!

Hope this helps.
Please use plain text.
Sage

Same thing happened to me when i installed and then removed handy safe from nokia download. I was able to still format and use the card in the phone, transfer files to and from it in pc-mode, but was unable to access/format it in card reader.

some time later I made a complete system restore - and later much to my surprise found that the card has been restored to normal. Formatted it in pc to complete the excorcism, haven't had any trouble since.

Too bad I wasn't aware I was restoring the card so I wasn't paying attention to exactly what I was doing, all I know is I somehow restored the thing w/o ever finding out the password.

Anyway, as I was googling for help, I found a post that 'FExplorer' should unlock the card. It requires signing, however, and I didn't feel like bothering @ the time, so I can't confirm that it works.
6267, N81, E71, BH-503, MD-7W, LD-3W
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I've had the exact same problem with my E66. What do you mean by "complete system restore" is that a soft or hard format? I understand that if I update the firmware before the password problem is resolved, that I won't be able to access the card? I'd prefer avoiding formatting the phone - what is the device that removes PW and destroy all of the data? I could not find on eBay.
Cheers
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I had the same problem, the memory card suddenly locked without knowing what is the unlock code.
I follow some guide on the internet, update to the latest firmware and reformat the memory card through the phone, it works...! now it works fine and also can be read through Card Reader on my PC, big thanks to this resource..! I just wondering how if my firmware is already the newest? :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor
tomfoley

I had this problem after I upgraded my E71 to the latest firmware. In order to reformat the card I selected Tools->Memory and got an option to reformat which worked fine.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
richcowell

If you've set the Remote Lock feature - try that as the password for the memory card - I had a bit of a nightmare with that until I was told to try it...

I posted here a while ago: /discussions/board/message?board.id=communicators&thread.id=33607

Nokia History: 3110, 5110, 7110, 7110, 3510i, 6210, 6310i, 5210, 6100, 6610, 7250, 7250i, 6650, 6230, 6230i, 6260, N70, N70, 5300, N95, N95, E71, E72
Android History: HTC Desire, SE Xperia Arc, HTC Sensation, Sensation XE, One X+, Google Nexus 5
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jagjeet

what type of file system architecture should my phone memory card hav??

FAT32/NTFS/fFAT16??

i hav e63

Please use plain text.