Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E71: How to turn off security lock code?

Sage
Accepted Solution

E71: How to turn off security lock code?

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

Would anybody happen to know how to turn off the security lock code? I've set my own code and it works pretty much as expected, like prompts for it in addition to the PIN code at the startup.

But what about if I want to turn it off again? Like it was before. Do I change it to 12345 again and it somehow stops asking for it?

I checked the manual and it only described a way to change the code. PIN code prompting can be disabled, but strangely there's no such option for the security code.

My "Security Menu" structure is as follows (I'm translating it from Finnish)

Prompt for PIN code: ENABLED

PIN code: ****

PIN2 code: ****

Auto keypad lock delay: 2 min

Auto lock: DISABLED

Security lock code: ****

Allow remote lock: NO

Restricted user group: DEFAULT

Confirm SIM services: NO

That's it. So, what I'd like to find is something like "Prompt for security code: NO" in there, but haven't seen such option. Am I looking for it in the wrong place?

PS: My phone is unlocked and unbranded, so the provider hasn't had the chance to fiddle with the phone.

Message Edited by kvirtanen on 11-Mar-2009 02:53 PM
Message Edited by kvirtanen on 11-Mar-2009 02:54 PM
Please use plain text.
Sage

Re: E71: How to turn off security lock code?

No one? :smileyindifferent:
Please use plain text.
Professor
hendikoischnur

Hi,

I don´t have the E71, I have an E61, but I´d suggest you try hard-resetting your phone. That will take out the security code and reset everything to how it was when your mobile left the plant. However, I think that a hard reset will delete EVERYTHING else, too, so it would be wise to have a full backup of your data, or two just to make sure ;-)

Codes are as follows on the E61:

*#7780# - *#RST # - Rücksetzen aller Telefoneinstellungen auf Werksstandard
*#7370# - *#RES # - Hardware-Reset

Regards,

Hendikoischnur

IT will paint our future - either green or black
* ecosia, the eco-friendly search engine (powered by Yahoo/Bing/WWF);
* Searching for pics online? Try ecocho.eu or treehoo.com
* For those who don´t want to miss Google: Try znout.de - it´s Google running on green energy
* CO2-free chatting: Try Jabber-server.de (running on 100% waterpower)
Please use plain text.
Sage

Yeah, but, but...

But I don't want to do a hard reset.. Again. What is it with these Nokia phones that I have to be doing hard resets all the time? This is getting really frustrating, I'm afraid. I know for a fact that the backup restoring doesn't work 100% reliably and it takes hours to get the phone to the state it was before the reset.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Don't reset just yet. Try this instead. Set Prompt for PIN code: Disabled  and see if it reverts the setting for you.

Please use plain text.
Professor
hendikoischnur

Well,

I know this doesn´t help, but my suggestion is: Scrap the E71, get an E61. It might not have as many features as the E71, but I only had to do a hard reset once up to now (when it came back from repair which was my fault) in approx. three years and I have loaded it with tons of useful software so it does everything I want from a business phone - I have it running both my private and the company SIM card now. Battery lasts approx. two days now.

I have been in this forum for a while now and there are very few posts for the E61 - either because not many people have it or because not many people find any problems with it or both.

In my eyes, Nokia´s step from the E61 to the E71 was definitely not a step forward...

Regards,

Hendikoischnur

IT will paint our future - either green or black
* ecosia, the eco-friendly search engine (powered by Yahoo/Bing/WWF);
* Searching for pics online? Try ecocho.eu or treehoo.com
* For those who don´t want to miss Google: Try znout.de - it´s Google running on green energy
* CO2-free chatting: Try Jabber-server.de (running on 100% waterpower)
Please use plain text.
Sage

I tried it and it doesn't help.. :/ Yesterday I did a hard reset and it still asked me for the code.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

On all S60 phones there is no way to completely disable the security code.

There will always be times where it needs the user to enter the code.

Why is tapping in a 5 digit code such a big issue to you?

The suggestion above about changing to an E61 made me laugh.  Why would anyone want to switch from an E71 to an ugly long obsolete unpopular model???

Message Edited by psychomania on 12-Mar-2009 11:13 AM
Please use plain text.
Sage

Well, my reasons for the original question aren't really related to this thread, but I'll give one if you insist to know:

there's a bug in my Finnish (fw) phone (apparently) that makes the phone lock itself every time I choose the Offline Mode. Yes, it basically does the same as 'Lock Phone' does at the moment. And even a hard reset didn't cure the weird behaviour. I'm currently being in touch with the Finnish Nokia Care about the problem.

that is basically why I would like to try disabling the prompting, to see if it makes the phone stop asking for the security lock code when choosing the Offline profile.

but, as I said, it's not really related to my original question and I've got another thread running at the moment to diagnose that problem.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Have you checked with other peoples E71's to confirm if it's a bug or an intentional security feature that all E71's have?

My 5800xm also locks the phone when switching to the offline profile, there is no way to disable it but it only takes a couple of seconds to enter the code.

Message Edited by psychomania on 12-Mar-2009 11:29 AM
Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

Yeah, the member sujit_md told that his E71 didn't behave that way. Neither did my friend's N95 8GB. I just can't seem to shake that lock feature off. I'm trying to gather more information regarding that (I need at least Finnish E71s).

If I remember correctly, my long-gone Nokia 9210 had a security code feature, but it could be turned off. I mean, the PIN code prompt can be turned off, so why not the lock code?

OK, it's used normally when you lock the phone, so it's ok to have it around.. but it's just my specific problem with the 'feature' that gives me gray hair. I use the Offline Mode a lot.

In the beginning, when I bought the phone, it only asked for the PIN code at the startup. Nothing else, not for the default 12345 security lock code or anything. This is normal as we all know. I then made a new lock code and enabled it (apparently changing the code to something other than the default 12345 automatically enables it). Now the phone asks for it at the startup in addition to the PIN code. This is also normal.

However, not having to write two codes at the startup anymore is another reason I'd like to disable this feature. The other is the one I wrote above; putting the phone to Offline Mode locks my phone with the Security Lock Code even though that's the job of the 'Lock Phone' feature (that does work normally).

Message Edited by kvirtanen on 12-Mar-2009 11:48 AM
Message Edited by kvirtanen on 12-Mar-2009 11:49 AM
Message Edited by kvirtanen on 12-Mar-2009 11:49 AM
Message Edited by kvirtanen on 12-Mar-2009 11:51 AM
Message Edited by kvirtanen on 12-Mar-2009 11:53 AM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Not sure what you can do about it as there is no setting that you can change. I don't have access to an E71 to test it out.  It is possible that they changed the behaviour in a firmware update. Perhaps a visit to a nokia retailer to test out an E71 is in order, i'm sure you can find one in Finland :smileywink:

I do seem to think that it is a recently added feature as my N82 does not do it. Perhaps it's to counteract the criminals that can remove the sim without powering down the phone? The code could be there to protect your data?

Message Edited by psychomania on 12-Mar-2009 11:54 AM
Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

If we put aside the Offline Mode problem I have, I still have a phone that asks for the PIN code AND the Security Code at startup. Minor problem, sure, I don't mean to come out lazy or anything, but surely that's something I should be able to decide. I decided to enable it, so why not disable?

I know it stays partly enabled so that when I lock the phone intentionally, it requires the password. As you said, there's no way to completely erase that feature, this I'm aware of. But the prompt at the startup came as an extra as a result of my own actions. Now I'd like to take it back.

I mean, before I changed the Security Code to something other than 12345 it wasn't prompted at the startup. Defaulting to factory settings or making a hard reset left the lock code intact. There was absolutely no change to the behaviour.

I guess I have to go fiddle with E71s at a retailer. It's just weird that another E71 user reported that the locking didn't happen.

The big bottom line: Try changing your security code to something else than the default 12345. You'll notice that it adds an additional Security Code prompt at the startup in addition to the PIN code prompt. As I see it, there's no way to revert back to just the PIN code, not at least without a serious hard reset (which didn't work for me). Even if you change it back to 12345 it still asks for it. There's no "Ask for security code: NO" option - the Security Code seems to be there to stay.

Message Edited by kvirtanen on 12-Mar-2009 12:08 PM
Message Edited by kvirtanen on 12-Mar-2009 12:10 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]

The backup you used to restore to your phone after the resets, did it include "Phone Specific settings"? If so, you were resetting the phone and then reintroducing the wrong setting by restoring. In this instance I would have made a backup to exclude phone settings. 

Message Edited by cjlim on 12-Mar-2009 12:10 PM

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

Thank you to all of you who've chimed in. I did a hard reset and fired up the phone. Before I had time to say "backup" the phone had already asked for the PIN and the Security Code. The hard reset didn't erase the code. Neither did reinstalling the firmware.

Only after realizing that nothing had changed, I restored my backup from the memory card. I didn't use PC Suite.

Message Edited by kvirtanen on 12-Mar-2009 12:14 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

BTW, the *#7370# code is not the hard reset. The hard reset is the "3 finger reset"

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry to announce that that was exactly what I did.. :smileysad: Green phone + 3 + *

Result: PIN + Security code

BUT, listen to this: I contacted my good friend who owns a E71, and has also changed the Security Code, so that the phone asks for it at startup. When he has a coffee break, he'll try to change to Offline Mode and back and see if his phone also goes locked.

We'll see... (I have a bad hunch though that it's been me all along who's doing things wrong here :smileywink: )

BTW: Sorry, I'm probably derailing this thread to another subject a little.

Message Edited by kvirtanen on 12-Mar-2009 12:28 PM
Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

CONFIRMATION!

My good friend's E71 with a Finnish firmware locks itself if you change to Offline Mode. This is partly unrelated to the original question though and I realize that. Sorry :smileyhappy: The part that does relate to this post will follow shortly.

It might require you to change the Security Code to something else than the default 12345. If you leave the security code alone and never EVER change it, this problem might not exist

But. There isn't a way to revert back if you DO change (and at the same time enable) the security code and this is quite related to the original question. People have suggested doing the three-button hard reset, but I did it and nothing changed. It didn't revert the security code.Plus, let's face it, every hard reset is a pain in the butt.

A CHALLENGE TO YOU!

If you dare, change your lock code to something else than the default, restart the phone, realize that it now asks for the PIN and the LOCK CODE, and then go to Offline Mode. Does the phone lock itself? Can you revert back to the point where you hadn't changed the lock code?

I received a response from the Finnish Nokia Care and they said:

"We haven't had such a problem with the newest firmware. Are you sure you don't have somekind of software installed that requires additional security? Try restoring to factory default. If that doesn't work, please do a hard reset. Remember to back up your data first."

Message Edited by kvirtanen on 12-Mar-2009 12:53 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Glad you got to the bottom of it in the end.

I've always used my own custom lock code as it prevents thieves from accessing my data easily.  I don't mind having to enter two codes each time for that piece of mind. 

Please use plain text.
Sage

Thanks. Neither do I, I only had a problem with the locking of the Offline Mode, not with entering two codes. Offline Mode and Security Lock shouldn't be combined (compare it to the former Flight Mode) IMO, especially when just under the Offline Mode you have the option 'Lock Phone' that does just that.
Please use plain text.