Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E71 Keypad problem

Contributor

E71 Keypad problem

I am having a strange problem in my newly baought E 71...

I never made any call or sent SMS... as i wanted to send my email address to somebody via SMS i noticed following key behaviour

1) . does nothing

2) , does nothing
3) - does nothing
4) ' gives ,
5) ? gives .
6) & gives `
7) ! starts writing from right to left

I took my mobile to the shop where i bought it .... they changed the handset ... but new one also had same problem ... and the third one also had same problem ... vendor said that i need to take my handset to Nokia franchise whoes warranty card i had.... I took it there ... they kept it for one night ... and returned with problem unresolved .... after so much crying the incharge of customer services (who only knkew arabic ... as i live in Jeddah , saudi arabia, and i didnt knew arabic) finally agreed to help .. he called the technician ... i explained the problem again ... they kept the phone and said .... he will try his best ... otherwise i will have to live with it .... 

I dont know what to do now... how can i further persue the NOKIA to solve the problem or change the set ....

I also noticed that this problem is in handsets made in finland .... there is another lot in market which is made in korea and those are working fine ....

can anybody help ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

Re: E71 Keypad problem

I'm not sure what is causing your problem, but as a workaround you can press the CTRL/CHR key (in the bottom right of the keyboard) to select from a range of different additional characters.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Well .. I knew this workaround ... but then whats the point in haveing the QWERTY keypad... ???

Please use plain text.
Sage
thundertiger

[ Edited ]

It makes me wonder if your phone has the wrong firmware on it.  That would make sense if the keypad characters are not typing what is printed on them.

If you take the battery out and look at the phone there should be sticker saying something like E71-1 and a line that says CODE and a number starting with 05. There are ways to change the code and put a different version of firmware on it. Unfortunately there is no way I know of to see what version code is currently installed onto the phone.

Message Edited by thundertiger on 10-Mar-2009 09:24 AM
E71-2 Grey Steel
type: RM-357 code: 0569371 FW: 410.21.010
08-02-2010 Nokia E71-2 (236.06)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Here's an idea: How about Nokia steps up and actually replaces the **bleep** phone with one that works correctly?
Please use plain text.
Sage
thundertiger

Well if the phone has the wrong firmware on it to begin with then it is not Nokias problem.

I just wish there was a way to make the phone show the product code that is installed on it.

E71-2 Grey Steel
type: RM-357 code: 0569371 FW: 410.21.010
08-02-2010 Nokia E71-2 (236.06)
Please use plain text.
Contributor

A- It was baought from a nokia franchise ..... For us it is NOKIA.... and if the incorrect firmware is installed on the fone for us its NOKIA's fault.... 

B- I got my phone back from the service center .... Now it is working fine except that now it has europeam languages (Dutc, German etc ) and English .... and my phone has arabic/english keypad.... as i dont need arabic so i am good with the correction they made to phone....

now key press display what is print on the key itself...

It makes me assume that this phone was actually a european version .... NOKIA put the Middle eastern version of keypad and firmware on it .... and selling it in KSA..... that is why it was giving the problem

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Its not Friday 13th ...is it ?

:-)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rogersemaan

E71 Language problem After update

I Have a Nokia E71-2 it use to have possibility to write Arabic in it but when I upgrade the version to the newest one 400.21.013 RN-357 I lost the Arabic language and had instate Spanish one .. Is their anyway to reintegrate the Arabic in it ? Please if any one can help contact me by mail : rmrs@cyberia.net.lb

Please use plain text.