Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E71: Not receiving texts unless the phone is r...

Contributor
Accepted Solution

E71: Not receiving texts unless the phone is restarted

No idea why this happened, but at first over the last week, my text messages stopped showing contacts' names and only their numbers. Recently over the last day or so, I didn't recieve any text messages from anyone, so naturally I wondered what was going on because I know that I never recieve 0 text messages over the course of 8 hours. So I re-set the phone (powered it off, and back on again). Once it finished booting, BANG, 15 texts! I replied to them and such, and I left it on and no texts over 2 hours. Reset it again, and I got 5 texts. So now i've come to the conclusion that for some reason, text messages are only getting through to me when the phone is powered off and powered back on. I've tried removing the battery for several minutes as well and the same thing happens. So at this point, in order to receive texts that I may or may not know have been sent to me, I have to re-set the phone. I'm having to do this every 15 minutes. Sending texts is not a problem

What's wrong? Has anyone else experienced this? How can I fix this?

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Re: E71: Not receiving texts unless the phone is restarted

Bump..
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Update: I've attempted both hard and soft reset on the phone, and neither solve the problem

However, when I do a hard reset, all data is deleted and the phone is restored to factory settings. THIS is where I start receiving text messages without having to reboot the phone! Once I restore my backed up data and update the phone to the latest software update, the problem of me not recieving texts unless the phone is rebooted started again. This leads me to believe the problem is with the latest software update.

So I have no solution yet. Is this something I will have to wait for the next software update to fix? Anyone?

Please use plain text.
Sage
pamdemonium

I doubt it's the software because you had this issue prior to the update. If you had the latest software prior to hard resetting your phone, the software version will still remain as the latest, it won't go back to the previous software version.

So, it is probable that there's something in your settings or some third party application that may be preventing your phone from receiving SMSes.

I'm not sure which country you're from and what type of network you use, but if you're on a regular non-3G network/contract, you might want to test by setting your network access to GSM only:

Menu > Tools > Settings > Phone > Network > Network mode > GSM only.

What type of applications do you normally use? Is there something that you use that requires some kind of online access?

Are you able to test your phone by putting a different sim card in? Perhaps another network's sim card?

"Try not. Do or do not, there is no try."
If you found someone's comments helpful or like what that person has to say, please give some Kudos to the post! :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Oh I had the latest software update even before I did the soft and hard reset.

But I switched the settings to GSM and it looks like it worked! It wasn't giving me this problem before though... weird. I wonder why...

Please use plain text.
Sage
pamdemonium

Not really sure why it may happen. Could be possible there were issues with the 3G network at the time and caused some hiccup or could be a phone issue, but difficult to verify.

After a few days, switch back to dual mode and see if the problem returns. Can try testing with a SIM card from a different operator, if your phone isn't locked, just to see if it's an isolated thing.

Are you using 3G services, such as video calls, high speed internet access? If not, then keeping it at GSM will be fine.

If you found someone's comments helpful or like what that person has to say, please give some Kudos to the post! :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Contributor

You know what, the problem returned shortly after I switched it to GSM... and I switched it back to dual mode. It seems like it works for a short period after I switch it over or if I restart the phone, but then I stop receiving texts. Then it's back to rebooting the phone to receive them.

I'm not on a 3G plan and i'm not using any of the 3G services (I only use internet when I can connect to a local wireless LAN). This wasn't happening before I updated my phone to the latest software...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I am not able to receive text messages at all with the newest firmware version.  I do not know what this is, but Nokia should definately look into this.  I have 2 E71's, one is the European version and the other is the American version.  I have no problems at all with the American version, so I think it is a software glitch because I have already reloaded the latest firmware from Nokia a couple times to make sure it wasn't that.
Please use plain text.
Sage
pamdemonium

Try another SIM card from a different network to see if the problem persists?

Or you may want to consider taking your phone to your authorised service center. Have them check the phone out. Back up your data before you go though using PC Suite.

Repair and Recycle link on the top should give you details of your nearest service center.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Alright, I fixed the problem myself!

It seems as though my phone memory was reaching its limits because I had so many texts saved up (thousands of texts) and it went over the limit. I cleared out a few hundred texts and now I can receive texts immediately as they come through. Seems like it's working fine regularly now.

Please use plain text.
Professor
kingpin007

You can also save or transfer your messages to your memory card to store more messages.

but remember you will only get the option to transfer the messages to your memory card ONCE on the first time you change the location.

You will not have this option again for you to transfer it back to phone memory.

you can do that by going to menu > messaging > options > settings > others > memory in use > memory card.

Mark me a KUDOS if this has helped... :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Yeah I ran into that when I attempted to switch the memory over, but I selected no....

Is there any way to get that option to transfer the texts to the memory card back? Or is there any other way I can do it, perhaps on the Nokia PC Suite?

Please use plain text.
Professor
kingpin007

Unfortunately the option only comes once for some security reasons it seems.

Perhaps you may try doing a hard reset on the phone and start fresh over again the option might come back.

Do a full back up of your phone using the PC suite back up icon.

Once you have back up try doing a hard reset by keying in *#7370# when on standby - This will reformat the phone.

Again

DO NOT FORGET TO DO A BACK UP AS THIS WILL ERASE YOUR ENTIRE PHONE MEMORY.

The security code by default is 12345

Mark me a KUDOS if this has helped... :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.