Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E71 - not able to send sms

E71 - not able to send sms

[ Edited ]

First, it's kind a taking too long to send text messages and now i'm getting error, something that says General: Memory full close some applications. I checked in outbox and shows resending and keep on selecting the option until it gives me this general error. I tried to set to factory default twice but it does not help. I press the menu button for any pending applications but there's none. I don't think it's the network because i tried using my sim card on a different phone and works just fine. And by the way, incoming text, incoming and outgoing calls works just fine.

Please help. thanks!

Message Edited by emmille21 on 29-Mar-2009 09:13 AM
Please use plain text.
Sage
megirgin

Re: E71 - not able to send sms

ok, to be sure that you have set your sms center corretly go to

menu>communic.>messaging>options>settings>text message

1. check how many message centers you have under "message centers"

2. check if the message center number is correct

3.check if the "message center in use" is the one that belongs to the sim card's operator

4. you may have a problem with character encoding. if it is set to "full support" change it to "reduced support"

5. set receive report to whatever you like

6.set "sms validity" to "maximum"

7. set "message sent as" to "TEXT"

8. set "preferred connection" to "GSM/UMTS"

9. Mark "reply via same center" to NO.

Usually what happens is that, when you insert another sim card from a different operator, like those 64-bit sim cards, new settings are downloaded and activated automatically, especially if the "confirm sim services" is set to "no".

So, when you insert back your own sim, settings, sometimes, are not reverted to their original way.

I hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

I still own a NOKIA 6250 :smileyhappy: KUDOS others as You Would Like to be KUDOSed! :smileyhappy: There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, ones who digg binary and ones who dont :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Sage
megirgin

Oh, I almost forgot

Turn off your phone. Remove the memory card, and then try sending an sms. If it is sent, you probably have a program installed to the memory card and it has some memory resident modules running in the background.

For example, Garmin XT has some modules running like this. Go and check the settings of your programs to see if they have an option to disable "run in the background". In case of garmin, for example, you have to change Keep_TSR=1 to =0 and you have to disable "run in the backgorund" option. These settings also increase your battery life. 

Advanced call manager and f-secure also have memory resident modules. If you have these 3 programs running they consume a lot of memory.

So, my second suggestion to you is to check the settings of your installed applications.  

I still own a NOKIA 6250 :smileyhappy: KUDOS others as You Would Like to be KUDOSed! :smileyhappy: There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, ones who digg binary and ones who dont :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.

thanks for the reply. i tried those things already like checking the message center and everything. Also tried your advice on removing the memory card,rebooting but still does not work. My friend told me it's a virus i might catch while browsing.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
andrybong

Maybe you are infected with "The Curse of Silence”

Google it!!!

Sorry for my english... I love my E71!!!
Siemens C25 - Nokia 3320 - Nokia 3205 - Nokia 3152 - Motorola Pebl - Nokia E71
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

The erroneous 'memory full' error has been cropping up since long before the curse of silence issue, and can usually be sorted as follows:

(1) Make a backup of personal data using PC Suite - omit from the backup settings and any features that you don't use.

(2) Reformat the phone using the code *#7370# you will be asked for the lock code, which is 12345 if you have never set a personal code)

(3) Check sending messages - you should find it's OK. Now you can resotre your personal data and off you go...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

This thread offers the least aggressive method to cure the "curse of silence":

/discussions/board/message?board.id=topfaq&thread.id=120

It's worth trying before resetting just in case it is the cause.

Message Edited by psychomania on 31-Mar-2009 04:11 PM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi there, I have the same problem with my phone now. It's really frustraiting. I wonder if you have solved the problem. Please help me, thanks.
Please use plain text.

as adviced, did the last resort #7370#. don't forget to do a back up first...
Please use plain text.

I have had a perfectly good E71 for 8 months. As of this week it now will not send sms. I have done a hard reset, software update, removed memory card deleted all unused applications, cleared all memory, changed sim card, checked message centre, contacted my carrier.... and it still does not want to work. Nokia support centre does not seem to know how to fix it . When I googled this there was 200 000 + hits on sites for this issue! Anyone with any suggestions over and above what I have done would really help. BTW when I first did the hard reset, I was able to send two messages then it faulted again. When I took my Memory card out I could send sms for two days then it faulted again. Now a new hard rest or removing the memory card doesn't fix the problem, even temporarily.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Try #7370#..it worked on mine..good luck!
Please use plain text.

Thanks for replying! I tried the hard reset first off as this was the best suggested solution but to no avail! I am going nuts over this because I run my business from this phone and SMS is the way I confirm cliental appointments so as not to disturb them by a phone call during work hours. I would not mind if I had not replaced my HP hand held with this model because everyone was telling me this was the best phone for business. And I am locked into a 2 year plan with my carrier with this phone so I am actually "stuck" with a faulty phone and a contract that means I have to use the faulty phone, keep paying for it and then buy an new one. If this is a commn fault, then why is there not a solution in the software updates?

Please use plain text.

Finally after much time and effort I found the root of my problems. I was doing *#7370# after backing up all my data and settings.... then restoring all the info back into my phone. Each time the SMS issue would happen again. This time I did the hard reset and then only restored one funtion or program at a time to my phone, each time checking that I could send sms. I restored contacts, organiser and sms still worked. When I restored settings I lost the ability to sms. I found that there was a module issue within my old, backed-up settings that was causing the problem.

So always back up your data, settings ect - BUT only restore one by one to ensure that you eliminate the offending module. The settings I had backed up were nothing I could not reprogram into the phone again after the hard reset.

I hope this helps!

Please use plain text.

Hey, iv got exactly the same problem of not being able to send txt msges. and i was given the same instructions to reset the phone. but iam not too sure how to do it. where am i supposed to put in this code, *#7370# ? Can somene help with this please? it wud be much appreciated

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

vineeta...

just go to your home screen, which is the main screen, and type in *#7330# as if you were dialing a number to call.  

as for the error,

try to create a messge and then if it doesnt send, it is probably still showing the message you typed up.  go to the message part and to the end of your message and add a couple of spaces and maybe a period and try to send again.  

for some reason, i get that error every now and again on my e90 too and that seems to put it through.

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.

Hi, Don't bother with the hard reset manually because it probably will not work. Here is what I did (and have had to do twice since when the issue raises it's ugly head again).

Update your nokia software via the Nokia PC suite website.

Connect your phone to your PC and do a complete back-up (see Suite menu on screen) SAVING all your files to desktop.

Reconnect your phone and then do a restore BUT only choose files like contacts and calender and system files. The rest of your files will still be saved in back up.

Then start up your phone again and send a few SMS. If it works you have solved your problem, if it doesn't then one of the files you have restored is the problem so go back and start the back-up thing again, restoring maybe just the system files. It's a process of elimination really.

Here is a tip tho, I found that my phone does it if I import a media file that the phone accepts at the time but then goes funny later. First episode happened after I created a ringtone via a MP3 sound clip. My last sms failure episode happened after my son took a photo and then bluetoothed it to my phone (now that happens to people every day!). My phone accepted it, and displayed it, but the next day I could not send sms. So I had to backup via the PC suite and restore everything but that file. It fixed the problem!

Once again, this issue appears common place all over the world. Makes you wonder why there is not a fix available via Nokia, not it's customers?

Please use plain text.

Hey thanks guys... it worked... well atleast for the time being... it was really bugging me that i cudnt send any txt msges...  :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

great ....  glad to hear it worked.....

but,.

what worked?  there are no kudos that you have given or solutions.

share the wealth buddy!  :smileywink:

Please use plain text.

lol the instuctions u gave worked... thanks a lot... i hope this problem is forever gone now! :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

*head hanging sheepishly, hat out in front of me*  can i have my kudos/solved credit please....

lol

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.