Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E71 -- positioning server changed after F/W up...

Counsellor
Accepted Solution

E71 -- positioning server changed after F/W upgraded

Hi Nokians,

After I have upgraded E71's firmware to 200.21.118, the GPS positioning server address is changed from

supl.nokia.com

to

h-slp.mnc016.mcc502.pub.3gppnetwork.org

Now my A-GPS not working. Previously, it took less than 1 minute to show my current position.

On another issue,  If I turn "assisted" off, GPS is not working as well -- not able to showmy current position.

27-11-2008
RM346
NOKIA E71-1(26)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mbamg

Re: E71 -- positioning server changed after F/W upgraded

Hi there

You can edit the positioning server by entering menu, tools, settings, general, positioning, positioning server, server address.

Change it to the supl.nokia.com and make sure the correct access point is selected. It must be a WEB and NOT a WAP access point. i.e there must be no proxy configuration on the access point selected.

Hope this helps you. 

iPhone 5 32GB
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.4
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

mecool2008 wrote:

On another issue, If I turn "assisted" off, GPS is not working as well -- not able to showmy current position.

After fiddling around the GPS, and reading some posts here, my observation is as follows:-
  •  If "assisted"  is off and indoor, satellite cannot be locked, so "Map" will not show "my position".
  •  If "assisted" is off and indoor but close to door or window, satellite maybe (but take a long time) or may not be locked 
  •  If "assisted" is off and I'm driving, satellite locking is about 5 minutes - 10 minutes.
Conclusion: best enable "assisted". Downside is, there GPRS/data charges by operator. 
Please use plain text.
Sage
sanjaymehta

mecool2008 wrote:

mecool2008 wrote:

On another issue, If I turn "assisted" off, GPS is not working as well -- not able to showmy current position.

After fiddling around the GPS, and reading some posts here, my observation is as follows:-
  •  If "assisted"  is off and indoor, satellite cannot be locked, so "Map" will not show "my position".
  •  If "assisted" is off and indoor but close to door or window, satellite maybe (but take a long time) or may not be locked 
  •  If "assisted" is off and I'm driving, satellite locking is about 5 minutes - 10 minutes.
Conclusion: best enable "assisted". Downside is, there GPRS/data charges by operator. 

GPS signals are too weak to make it through most buildings, so your observations are not surprising.

I believe Assisted GPS using cell information to query a backend server to determine your approximate

location very quickly and then that helps the GPS to lock on faster. I've observed that a pure an simple

Garmin GPS can take 10 minutes or longer for initial lock, which makes Assisted GPS really attractive,

despite the additional cost.

Sanjay Mehta
Motorola "Brickphone" circa 1996, Alcatel One Touch, Ericsson R380, Sony Ericsson T220, Sony Ericsson T630, Nokia E50, Nokia E61i, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E71,Nokia X6, Google Nexus S, iPhone 4S
Please use plain text.