Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E72 : Disable Data and roaming

Contributor

E72 : Disable Data and roaming

Hello,

i want to know how can i disable All Data transfer and Data roaming on my E72 when i change of country ?

on my old blackberry , i had the option : Data disable : yes/no

so i check on user manuel that i can use Single mode on network parameter and put it only in GSM . But when i try to use the web or ovi the system ask my to connect my internet and it's work , but i'm always in GSM mode , so i suppose that GSM mode cannot the good option for disable ALL DATA TRAFFIC .

Can anyone help me ?

Please use plain text.
Sage
jon_iz

Re: E72 : Disable Data and roaming

Change the priority of the Internet Acess points in Destinations.

Menu > Contl Panel > Settings > Connection > Destinations > Internet > and make you WLAN connection priority 1

Set you browser to prompt for for an access point.

WEB > Options > Settings > General > Access Point. Set this to Always Ask, and it will give you a lit of access points to use with Search for WLAN at the top.

If you need to select one of the AP in you "Internet" destination, select it and press options, and you can select one of the available AP's from that destination.

For email applications, make sure that it's set not to check mail when roaming.

This is under the "When to sync option" for each mailbox.

Menu > Email > Settings > [Mail box you want to set] > When to Sync

Hope that helps.

Regards Jon.

If this post helped you, please press the Kudos button ;-)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
masula

Just to make sure you never use data while roming.. call your operator and request them to put a restriction on data access to your phone line.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

There must be a on/off button no?

Please use plain text.
Sage

This may not be exactly ideal, but as data charges are quite expensive in our country, I have not used the data functionality for my E72 much (I only use the phone SMS/calls and connect to my wifi at home or at free wifi spots).

What I did was to put a password on the access points corresponding to the "Packet Data" connection destinations, I have configured them to "Prompt Password: Yes".

So that anytime the phone wants to access packet data (MMS excluded), it will ask for a password instead of automatically connecting.

So, to prevent unexpected high data cost charges, maybe you could also configure it that way.

~~~~~

Kindly click the "Kudos" button if this works for you.

Please use plain text.
jmgilot

For me, the best setup would be :

- automatic connect to my home network - without any annoying prompt;

- no data connection outside - without any prompt.

Is there someone that use the same setup?

Regards

JM

Please use plain text.
brianfhickey

I do not use this specific setup, but a final way to never use a GPRS/3g connection is to delete the 3g access points from your phone -> ctrl pnl -> settings -> connection -> destinations -> internet/multimedia/wap/unknown and delete your 3g access points

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Controlling data roaming is a great example of basic functionality that should be provided by the operating system. Unfortunately, S60 FP2 fails spectacularly in this area.

The Nokia E72 is a fairly complex smartphone with a number of applications that ask for data connections (Mail for Exchange, Nokia Messaging, Web browser, GPS and any other application that can open a data connection). The situation is made significantly worse due to the fact that applications access data connections in different ways, via destinations and via access points.

Right now I find myself having to change access points in Nokia Messaging when I go abroad and changing destinations in Nokia Mail for Exchange. This does not even cover any of the other potential applications with the ability to rack up data roaming charges (and yes I have been caught out by the GPS before which resulted in a hefty bill).

In iphones and blackberries it is as easy as changing one single setting (data on/off).

THIS IS A BLATANT NEED FOR NOKIA TO ADDRESS.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

You can set your apps to "always ask" before connecting.

‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Agree. But again, this will need to be set for each application. It should really not be a problem to have a global switch on the OS level.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

tobes78 wrote:

Agree. But again, this will need to be set for each application. It should really not be a problem to have a global switch on the OS level.

The Connectivity>Destination utility was meant to be a step in this direction. Unfortunately it is only supported by some of the latest applications.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rpospisi

Try Roaming Guard to prevent an unpredictable access to the internet in roaming. Access may be controled for MMS, E-mail, Web, Mail for Exchange, Ovi Maps, assisted GPS  and other data, depending on installed applications.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I did try Roaming Guard and downloaded the 1.02 eX version for my E72. I started getting "Memory Full" errors more or less regularly (usually after a few hours of usage) forcing a reboot. So unfortunately I had to de-install it.

Roaming Guard is a great concept, but the implementation does not seem to be quite there yet, at least for my phone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rpospisi

We have found some bug, in conjunction with frequent changes between home network and roaming, which can lead to 'Memory full' event. New release will be shortly published.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I have been using Roaming Guard 1.03 for a couple of weeks now and it is running very stable. This is an excellent solution to the data roaming problem. I highly recommend this piece of software. It may just save you from v expensive data roaming bills.

I don't think 1.03 is available through OVI store yet, but it is available on the company website.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ineedhelpnow

i did this but it is still charging me for some reason and i dont even use the internet

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

Check other apps like Nokia Messaging, Facebook, Nimbuzz, etc.... Set accesspoints to always ask.

‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ineedhelpnow

can you even switch off the data on the nokia e72

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ineedhelpnow

how can you set the app to always ask?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ineedhelpnow

I solved the problem for this all you have to do is contact the what ever network your on contact them via email or phone and tell them to switch it off.

Please use plain text.