Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E72 and WLAN (why does it not connect automaticall...

Advisor
dmz94

E72 and WLAN (why does it not connect automatically)?

Hello - I have an E72.

In my connections settings, I have GPRS, my "work" WLAN and my "home" WLAN in my "Internet" destinations. They are in the following order:

1) Home WLAN

2) Work WLAN

3) Voadfone GPRS

Internet is set as my "default". All the connections work fine (that is, I can browse the web with all of them).

My issue is that I would expect, that when I am home and the E72 sees that my home WLAN is available, it would use that rather than VF GPRS but it does not seem to.

When I look at the "Connectivity Manager", GPRS is active. My questions are:

1) How to get the E72 to follow the priorities I have set (Home WLAN, Work WLAN, GPRS)

2) How do I manually "force" the E72 to use an designated connection (without browsing the web) if I need to...

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
kr33p

Re: E72 and WLAN (why does it not connect automatically)?

Hello, dmz94.

Same problem here.

I got 4 access points defined in my "Menu/ Ctrl panel/ Settings/ Connection/ Destinations/ Internet" section which is set as my default connection to the internet. 3 of my access points are frequently used WiFi networks (priorities 1,2 and 3), the 4th one is my Mobile Internet (priority 4).

I have 2 e-mail accounts configured on my phone - Yahoo and Gmail. The problem is that I couldn't find any way to configure my accounts so that Mobile Internet connects ONLY when none of the 3 WiFi access points is available. Various configurations led to either ALWAYS using Mobile Internet when connecting (sending/ receiving) or not connecting at all if not in one specific WiFi network.

I can't really get how the "priorities" work.

Could anyone help me/ us on this matter?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
grumpf

Seems that it is not possible what you are after.

The question was raised several times here without any positive results.

I have a similar setup and was not able to solve it.

The problem is for a mail account you only have two options:

1.) select one specific access point

2.) set the client to ask for an access point every time it tries to connect.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
01102009ac

Hi Grumpf,

I am facing similar problems, but in my case, what I am looking for is that option number 2 you posted.

I want the phone to ask me always and in every internet application the acess point I wanna use.

I have it working in my n97 but I can't put it working in the e72. Can you help me? How can I do it?

Thanks

F.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kefa8

i have a similar destination setup to yours and mine works fine. when i'm at home it will pick up wifi. however the setup does not work with nokia messaging client. to get that to work you have to use smartconnect and set the smartconnect connection as the highest priority. it will work after with this.
however i found with smartconnect my battery died a lot faster. i think it constantly searches for wifi connections in the background so its not that great.
Please use plain text.