Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E72 cannot Print Chinese Characters

Contributor
renda

E72 cannot Print Chinese Characters

[ Edited ]

Hi there!

My Nokia E72 was bought in Hong Kong in 2009, it has built-in Simplified Chinese support (as well as Traditional Chinese and English). I can read SMS, MMS and PDF/XLS files containing Chinese characters perfectly.

But when I attempt to print something, e.g. an SMS, the printed page will be messed up by a lot of block-characters (see the sample picture attached). This problem was encountered in Chinese contents only, even though these Chinese characters could be displayed correctly on the screen.

I have tried this on several different printers and this issue persists on all of them.

Current firmware in my phone is 081.003.240.03. I have never installed any font-changing software, and always use default settings or system fonts for the phone OS and all applications.

How can I get the Chinese characters properly printed? Any idea will be appreciated gratefully.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
renda

Oooops!
Zero replies in a week?!
Is my English too poor to understand or just nobody concern this problem at all?
Please use plain text.
Employee

Hi renda,

I think that it's more of a printer problem not recognizing these characters and printing boxes instead of characters.

Can you copy the PDF to a computer or print the SMS through Nokia suite and use the same printer, does it give similar results?

Br, Marko

Please use plain text.
Contributor
renda

[ Edited ]

Hi Marko,

First of all I appreciate your reply very much. Actually, I don't really expect a solution to my problem, coz I think that it's a flaw of E72 firmware, but I believe that people's concerning will help Nokia fix this bug.

As per your suggestion, I tried to open a small PDF file with Adobe Reader LE (pre-installed in the phone by Nokia). I can see the filename (in Chinese) correctly shown at the top of the screen, but the Chinese characters in the file contents cannot be displayed at all. Actually they are displayed in extended ASCII characters instead of the Unicode-blocks mentioned in my first post of this thread. So I assume that Adobe Reader LE is simply unable to manipulate Unicode contents indeed. By the way, Adobe Reader LE seems likely not to provide printing function, at least I have not found any printing-relative menu entry so far.

Furthermore, I have tried to print a few SMS messages from Nokia PC Suite (Nokia Suite, aka. the Ovi Suite, does not offer printing function). ALL Chinese characters are correctly printed in this case, while the problem persists as before when I try to print the same messages to the same printer from the phone.

Besides, I found that the problem also affects the screen-display of some software. I am using a program named "FreeTimeBox" which can sync phone clock to a pre-configured NTP server. Everytime the clock was synchronized, the program shows a pop-up message saying "clock has been successfully synchronized". For my phone it's in Chinese and the sentence comprises 6 Chinese characters. When this message pops out on my E72, three of the six characters are shown in the ugly blocks. On a Nokia X6 (another phone of mine), the same program works fine and all of those 6 characters are displayed correctly.

Hence, I don't think that it's a printer problem, but particularly an E72 firmware defect. I hope some Nokia guy would catch this thread and drop some words.

Please use plain text.
Employee

Hi renda,

Now I got my user settings updated, so as you can see from my alias I work for Nokia. So I'm that Nokia guy you tried to reach and I'm glad you did.

I have requested this to be checked and I hope that soon I can give you some updated.

Br, Marko

Please use plain text.
Contributor
renda

[ Edited ]

Hi Marko,

Yes I have noticed the changes in your alias, it's a pretty convincing reason that brings me a glimmer of hope to expect an official solution to my problem.... Now I just hope it come soon. ^v^

BR,
renda

P.S. By the way, should I "accecpt this as solution" now, or leave this thread remain open?

Please use plain text.