Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E72 flash phone rather than *#7370#

Counsellor
hughm_nyksj_dk

E72 flash phone rather than *#7370#

Hi

Nokia Care suggested that I get my E72 flashed at a workshop, but that's 100 km from me so ... What is the advantage of flashing the phone over doing a hard reset or using one of the key combinations seen on this site? The phone is doing some pretty silly things.

HM

hughm_nyksj_dk
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

The hard reset will basically just return the phone to it's out of the box state whereas the reflash will reinstall all the firmware on the phone from scratch. Considering your circumstances it would be worth your while trying to hard reset your phone before embarking on the long drive.

Always remember to backup your phone before performing resets as your data will be lost.

The "3 finger deep reset". With the phone powered off, depress and hold these three keys simultaneously "*" "3" "green phone" and then power on phone using the on/off button whilst keeping the three keys depressed until you hear start-up tone.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@cjlim

Sure a typographic error here as for a E72 the procedure for a "hard reset" is:

Keep these three buttons depressed:

- Capslock

- Space

- Backspace

and power on until Nokia "Shaking hands" logo appears!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hughm_nyksj_dk

HI there

Thanks for your info, both of you. I shall try the hard reset first and save the thrilling 100 km drive for a _sunny_ day...

HM

hughm_nyksj_dk
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
albyzas

So, how was this "hard-reset" procedure? Have you tested? And what was the reason you had to do this?

Realy interesting!

Nokia E6-00
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hughm_nyksj_dk

I haven't tried it yet because I need to get my reserve phone up and running with all my apps first.

The reason I want to clean out the phone is that it started doing quirky things - everything from deleting (or apperently deleting, I can't trace them) two email accounts, then not allowing me to reinstate them.

I shall report back when I've done it...

HM

hughm_nyksj_dk
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hughm_nyksj_dk

Related but ... It is not possible to start a new issue when using mobile discussions via Opera Mini 6.0 so...
Where does the phone hide its mail folders? I need to be sure that my text messages are not destroyed when I reset the phone.
Active Notes appear in alphabetical order in their folder on the SDcard - how can I put them back in date order??
Your help is worth its weight in gold :-)
hughm_nyksj_dk
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
thetao

Email and SMS typically go in C:\Private (maybe C:\Private\1000484B for text messages?), so there's no way to access these files directly without hacking the phone.  I read a tip once that suggested making multiple backups with Ovi Suite, perhaps one bulk backup and then another for "Contacts, Calendar and Notes, Messages" only.  You might even make a third backup to the memory card through File Manager.  With "Phone Memory" highlighted, select Options -> Back up Phone Memory.  I'm not sure what this backs up, but the resulting file goes into a hidden folder on the card.

I don't believe File Manager has any options for reordering files.  If you have a bunch of files and want to change the order, try a third party file manager like Y-Browser: http://www.drjukka.com/YBrowser.html .  Hope that helps.

Please use plain text.