Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

E72 keypad unlock

Registered Member
bartje

E72 keypad unlock

Hi all,

I've had an E72 for a week now, and must say that I find the keypad unlock combination of top-left followed by top-right combination most annoying! the phone continuously unlocks itself while in my pocket, and then starts calling, taking pictures, etc.. Using the (very tight) cover does not make any difference.

Is there a way to change this into any other combination? (like power button first, then top left or right? or use the center buttun which is well protected?)

Thaks for any help

Bart

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Re: E72 keypad unlock

The key combo is designed specifically to avoid the kind of problem you're having. I've never seen anyone else have that problem!

I'd add that you might be subjecting the phone to some quite severe pressure if it even unlocks itself in the hard case...

I think your only option is to LOCK the phone.

Press the power key briefly, then scroll to "Lock phone". From now on, you have to press the left soft key, then the rigth to confirm, and then enter your security code in order to unlock the phone.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
aikiddo

hi i would like to add on also..i wasnt sure whether here is the right place to put my problems facing.i bought my nokia e72 5days ago.at the begining was all good..till one day when i started using the sms function.the space bar button couldnt work..but other keypads were fucntioning well.what might my problem be?i tried pressing hard on the button but it just wont give me the space bar function.after swicthing off and on ..then only it works.

how can i solve it?

any suggestion.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

It's a well-known bug in V21 firmware.

If you can, you need to update to V22.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
LJK87

I have the exact same problem. No matter which way the phone is in my pocket, it unlocks now and again. Extremely annoying. Probably caused because the two buttons are slightly flared outwards from the far left and right sides and they are so far to the side of the phone that any cloth (unless you wear really baggy pants) can depress them fairly easily.

And no, I don't think locking the phone is the right solution to a clear design flaw. Any way to remap the unlock combination? I don't know, like you'd have in older Nokia phones (the main function key + #)?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dhams1021

My spacebar got jammed today, how do i resolve this, I understand I need to upgrade to V22. how do i go on about doing this?

Please advise

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
oscardo

I experience the same problem. The phone unlocks itself when it's in my pocket. The result is unwanted calls, camera mode etc. I'm very satisfied with the E71, except the keypad unlock combination.

Previously I had an Nokia E71, with the "old" keypad unlock combination. I never had this problem then.

I hope Nokia either makes other key combinations for keypad unlock, available in the software, or just change it back to the old comination.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
zomge72

agreed nokia needs to supply an option to change the unlock combo. Happens to me often
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
baietas

This needs to be fixed ASAP and get it to unlock with the arrow key in the corner like the old nokias

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bfree

I am havving the same problem does anyone know if the is a solution yet ?
Please use plain text.
headroom

HI,

Just got a new Nokia E72. Previously had a E71 and was satisfied with it, but unfortunately the amount of g force it could take is not unlimited :-).

I have exactly the same problem described here, namely that the keyboard constantly unlocks itself in my pocket. Does anyone know if Nokia has gotten around to fixing the design flaw (which it clearly is)? Some "we-need-to-buy-time-to-fix-this" workaround is not a satisfactory solution!

What was wrong with the classic & functional "Menu" + "*" approach that has worked so well for every Nokia phone since the dawn of the mobile phone age?? If something ain't broke, don't fix it.

Now that you broke it, please fix it...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Gogoud

And I too have had this problem from the day I first received this phone six months ago. It has happened maybe 100 times! A good reason to switch phone - or manufacturer...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TheOminous

I have the same problem, I can't put the phone in my the back pockts of my jeans.

Is there a solution for this yet?

Please post it... 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Maradonnie

Seems to me that the keyboard combo is designed specifically to cause this issue.

As stated in another post, the 2 keys in question are raised at the edges making them the first keys to experience any pressure when sitting in a back pocket. In addition, the top right key is default for connecting to the internet. Result - every time you have the phone in your back pocket, and sit down, you connect to the internet. -- Masses of internet connection bills. Everyone's a winner. (Except for the user)

Again, as stated by someone else, the centre key (which is recessed) would be the single key which would guarantee avoiding this problem.

Would be nice if anyone knows a way to change the key combination.

Please use plain text.