Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: E72 reports "Out of memory" error in OVI

Contributor
Steve06
Accepted Solution

E72 reports "Out of memory" error in OVI

Hi,

When I want to navigate in OVI, I almost everytime receive an error message telling me the phone has run out of memory and suggesting I should close applications. (German message: "Speicher voll. Programme schließen und Versuch wiederholen")

I have only two common apps running in the background: WhatsApp and ThreadSMS (allowing me to read SMS in a dialogue-like structure, as on other smartphones)

I am extremely disappointed with that phone, as the message pops up in Ovi all the time and Ovi also tends to crash.

Calling Nokia customer service (in Romania I think) didn't help: They suggested I backup the phone and reinstall the software - didn't help at all but caused me some trouble.

Needless to say that I run under the lastet software version, always hoping for some improvement.

I read on the internet that it's this phone's design flaw to be lacking in the RAM department. After having used Nokia phones for 10+ years, this is going to be my last one if no cure is found. I also have half year left of warranty (under German law) but don't know how they could fix oder make up this problem.

Thanks for any constructive comments,

Steve

Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Iris9290

Hi Steve06,

Welcome to the Nokia forum.

I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulty with your E72. If a software update hasn't resolved the issue, try a hard reset. This will clear up any unused data and bugs and will most likely solve the issue.

You can hard reset the device by entering *#7370# into your phone. The security code is 12345, unless you've changed this code to another one. Don't forget to take a back up first. After the reset you can put the backup back on your E72 and that should fix it completely.

Let me know how you get on!

Iris9290

If my post has helped you in any way, please accept it as a solution or click on the white star, so that other users will be able to benefit from it too.
Contributor
Steve06

Thank you for the reply.

I already followed the exactly same instructions when I received them from the customer support hotline - the problem persisted.

In another forum, I've heard it could be a good idea to uninstall parts of the OS (programs) that are not needed. Do you agree with that and do you have any recommendations for which modules would be safe to delete?
Registered Member
e72mardo

I can confirm exactly the same troubles also for my E72

It is impossible, e.g., to

- open OVI maps while another application (WhatsApp) is open

- browse a larger webpage, even if the browser is the only currently open application

- generally have more than 2 applications opened on average

The phone always crashes with the out of memory error described by Steve06?

Generally: Is there any way to vie avalable RAM vs. RAM consumed per application?

Can you provide any assistance within the next few days to make the promised applications for E72 (maps, webbrowsing, ...) usable? I still have 7 days left to return the phone with full money refund. If the issue is not resolved, I will proceed that way.

Regards

Markus

Counsellor
JWHK

I think 'not enough RAM' is the root cause and if there are some applications are operating then it crashes.

Yes, sometimes we can solve the problem by hard reset, or just power off and on the phone but the problem comes again very soon, when you open a few application at the same time.

But, what annoys me is actually when the problem exists, even you tuen off all applications, it doesnt help. I think there are some applications are operating but you don't know, or there is no way to turn them off. For example, I discover the camera is still "operating" in the background even I turn it off after use. You have to use problem like "Jbak TaskMan' which can detect what are operating and close the applications to clear some RAM.

Hope it helps.

Contributor
Steve06

Totally agree with your post. I think there are two engineering problems with that phone: undersized RAM AND badly engineered OS that fails to clean up after applications are terminated, i.e. gives rise to memory leaks.
It's a shame that the error message just pops up in Nokia's own Ovi GPS app, implying that I have to turn my phone off and on before I plan to use the GPS functionality.
I don't get why they don't correct their errors (esp. the second one) with firmware updates.
Registered Member
e72mardo

Unfortunately I didn't have the time to send the device back, so I had to arrange with it.

I am now using NetQin Mobile Guard to shut down a selection of background applications before using apps like OVI maps.

However, my next device will definitely NEVER EVER be Nokia again!!

Counsellor
JWHK

The fault is not with Ovi Map.

The problem is Ovi Map requires a lot of RAM when operating and that's why you have to close almost all other applications when you want to use Ovi Map.

Another problem is even you try to close all apps, some other apps might be running without your notice as there is no way you can find out, unless you use other 3-party apps.

Contributor
Steve06

Again, I agree with your posts.

How can it be you have to install 3rd party apps to get over the phone's flaws?! Why don't they address the memory leaks (or processes going on after shutting down an app) with a firmware update? Can't be that difficult, just requires some clean programming?!

The latest quirks I have with my phone is that all of the sudden (after 1.5 years) the battery only lasts for a day or and the phone shuts off in the middle of the night. The quality is really garbage.

After having been a Nokia boy for 12+ years (and having owned Nokia shares at some point) I do not think I'll ever buy Nokia again (neither the phones nor the stock) either!!!

Contributor
Steve06

Phone sold to a hopefully happy new owner.

Problem solved (for me). Case closed.

Sage
owca83

@Steve06

You can be lucky that you havent buy Nokia E6...I bought this phone and now Im very angry with myself:/!!!

My 2nd phone is E72 and believe me, E72 in compare to E6 is a very very good phone!!!!!!

So please believe me, NEVER buy E6!! There are so many bugs in E6  that I cant count them all!!!