Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E75 & Nokia Messaging not working with Gmail prope...

Registered Member

E75 & Nokia Messaging not working with Gmail properly

Hi there,

I'm having problems in getting my new E75 to function with Gmail (I'm using Gmail via IMAP, custom domain and Google Apps) and I'm, therefore, here in order to search some help from more tech-savvy users. The most annoying problem I'm having at the moment is that E75 creates duplicate messages in "sent mail" -folder in Gmail when sending mail from it. I would also be delighted if I could delete messages using my phone so that msges would be moved to Gmail's trash folder instead of "All Mail" -folde. Any advice in getting these functionalities? Thank You! :smileyhappy: 

All in all, I would like to be able to configure E75 mail client to function like a "normal" IMAP client.  

Please use plain text.
Sage

Re: E75 & Nokia Messaging not working with Gmail properly

Are you sure your using Nokia Messaging?  It's possible that you are using the native email application as opposed to Nokia Messaging even though you see your Gmail account listed within the colorful Email UI.  You've created and you can logon to your Nokia Messaging account on email.nokia.com, correct?  To verify that your actually using Nokia Messaging and not the native app, go into Email>Settings>Gmail>Mailbox Settings>Incoming Email Settings, and if the Incoming Mail Server says imap.gmail.com, then you are using the native app, not Nokia messaging.
Please use plain text.
Sage

Actually, I found this in Nokia's knowledge base regarding the steps on how to determine if you are using Nokia Messaging, or the native client to download email on your E75:

Perform the following steps:

1. On the Nokia device, press the Menu key.
  2. Select Email.
  3. Select Settings.
  4. Select the desired mailbox.
  5. If Account Settings does not exist, then it's been confirmed that direct access (the native protocol) is being used to synchronize email from this mailbox.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I think I found something interesting regarding deleting mails from google. There is a new feature in Google Labs:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/gmail-archive-not-delete-116653/index2.html

could not test it yet, but I hope it will work

Please use plain text.
Employee

Maddmaxx is correct, check this article for more information: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=78755

A workaround to delete emails from Gmail is to go into Google Labs, enable Advanced IMAP Controls, go to Forwarding and POP/IMAP and switch When a message is expunged from the last visible IMAP folder: to either Move the message to the Trash or Immediately delete the message forever depending on your preference.

We're working on this. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

[ Edited ]

Mr. Fields,

I use GMAIL as a gathering point for different email accounts and do not generally send email directly from my GMAIL account. Is there a way to have the sent from address be different my GMAIL address?

Is this being addressed in future releases?

Thanks,

Dan

Message Edited by dan1431 on 28-May-2009 08:27 PM
Message Edited by dan1431 on 28-May-2009 08:28 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor

In fact, the workaround by Fields did not work on my E71 - which I believe should not because the difference of E71 and E75. So I doubt the workaround actually works. If anybody gets it work, I am interested the exact setup.
Please use plain text.

I startet using gmail with nokia messaging yesterday. I have set both my gmail accounts to synchronize every 1 hour, but the phone isn't doing this sync automatically. I need to enter each mailbox and hit 'send receive' to get my email. All settings seem to be in order. Please help!
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I do not know what your problem is. I can get Gmail, however the IMAP function never worked. Deleted emails still show up in the All Mail folder and I had to login manually periodically to clean it up. It sucks! The advanced IMAP setting posted earlier did not work either.
Please use plain text.

Unfortunately, Gmail considers the archiving of email as a "feature".  Even if you delete something from your inbox and the trash, it will STILL be archived in "All Mail" and you'll have to delete it from there before it's gone for good.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Sorry to say but Nokia has abandoned any attempt to get the E75 working with any MFE (Mail For Exchange) service that isn't Exchange... eg, Google Apps. When I bought the phone, I was advised quite the opposite (in a Nokia shop and by the Nokia team at Mobile World Congress), but this thread, one of the longest on this forum, wended its slow way to the conclusion from Nokia.

Sad state of affairs, leaving many with a device that does not do what they were told it would.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pellicle

>Sad state of affairs, leaving many with a device that does not do what they were told it would.

I can confirm this remains a problem with Nokia Messaging as at this date of writing. Quite unacceptable if you ask me.

It is not a problem with the individual phones IMO, but an overall bug in Nokia Messaging.

Perhaps its time that Nokia looked at making things just work the right way and accepting that limitations exist
Please use plain text.