Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Favourite contacts on home screen

Contributor

Favourite contacts on home screen

I've got a problem with the favourite contacts on my home screen. Instead of showing the contact's pic I just get a blank square and the name, which is annoying enough. It did work once, so I know what the contacts bar should look like.  (Pics or icons...)

In addition to this, the contacts seem to be kind of frozen. I can select a contact all right. But there's no way I can change them anymore.

When  I remove a contact from my favourites, it does so in the contacts list, but the contact still remains on the home screen. So can't add or remove any contacts.

When I click on a box that's not linked to a contact, it does ask me to choose a contact. If I do, I end up in the contacts list and can add the contact to my favourites but no chage on the home screen...

I've tried turning off/on, updating or resetting the phone but to no avail... It does work every now and then for a bit, but usally the favourite contacts bar is frozen.

I can remove the entire bar though.

Am I the only one with this prob?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

what phone do you have?
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Of course... N97

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

[ Edited ]

ah ok 

i had to save my favorite contacts to phone memory, all other contacts i keep on my sim

so when you go to contacts you can add any contact to your favorite list select anyone - open it up and within the contact you should be able to go to options and select edit and add image as long as image is stored on the phone.

if this does not work i would suggest trying the following top two but read carefully please

1. *#7780# - Restore factory settings - resets all the settings to the default ( you will not lose any data)
Make sure you back up your data as you will lose all of it when you perform option 2 or 3 on this list. The default code for ALL operations listed here is 12345

2. *#7370# - Reformat your phone (out of the box, tho keep in mind that most newer nokia phones at least n series, e series and s60 based phones have udp - user data preservation so not ALL data may be lost. still it is a good idea to always do a back up of your stuff.)

3. This you perform as a last resort. Nothing else is working.If the phone is not showing any activity, proceed with hard formatting , turn off your phone, hold the following buttons while pressing the power button. (the default code is 12345)
hard reset - hold the following buttons *, 3 (number button) and talk/green key. turn on the phone and do not release those buttons until you see the Nokia boot up screen. once you feel the phone power up you can let go off the power button while still holding all three buttons ( for Nokia 5800XM - use the following buttons to do a hard reset, GREEN/RED/CAMERA keys pressed all at once on power up. this will only work on 5800's that have firmware version 20... and up. )

If these codes are not working the only thing for you to do is contact your Nokia Care Center/Service for assistance. 

*** if you have done all these and it is still not working, i am almost sure it is a software bug and might be fixed in the next firmware. i have nothing else for you beyond this tho. perhaps someone else has some other ideas for you 

Message Edited by radical24 on 27-Jul-2009 09:15 AM
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. I do not have any problems linking pictures to my contacts. They just won't show on the home screen (the pics that is) and I cannot edit, change or remove my favourite contacts once they're on the homescreen. Even if I delete a contact from my contacts list, it's still there on the home screen. When I click on it, I get a link to an blank contact...

So it looks like the favourite contacts widget is somehow "disconnected" from the rest of the phone.

I've already tried resetting or updating the phone. The phone works apart from the mentioned problem - well, it crashes every second day or so...

I don't see how it can be a hardware problem - I'm not saying it isn't though. But if it were a software problem, wouldn't there be more people having it?  

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

Re: Favorite contacts on home screen

well they are having it, just not with this particular widget, i think it is the whole widget interface that is bugged down with some serious imperfections that need to be fixed. they have issues with AP news or facebook or accu widgets. so you maybe unique for a moment with your widget issue but i think it might be a part of the whole widget on the screen ordeal and really shaky interface and interconnectedness within the phones firmware. looks like communication is just failing somewhere. 
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have the exact and same problem ... have you find a fix yet ? And also, can you tell me whether or not you performed a soft and/ or hard reset ? I am curious as to whether or not this will work. Thnx !

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Sorry, haven't found a fix yet. I've tried all kind of resets.

It seems like turning the phone off, leaving it off for a few minutes and then restarting it might help though.

Since the mentioned problem isn't the only one I've got with the phone, I'm returning it to Nokia anyway. 

Maybe the replacement will be ok. Doubt it though.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Indeed taking out, and leaving out, the battery for a few minutes has resolved the issue for me !

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Glad to hear you consider the issue solved. I'm returning my phone. Having to take out the battery for a while every now and then to get some contacts on the home screen is not what I expect from a € 600 phone...

I am fairly annoyed with Nokia using us as beta-testers...

Please use plain text.

I have just experienced the same problem with the favorite contacts (& favorite contacts II) widget. The icons or pictures have disappeared, though the names are still in place and I can use them to make calls. When making a call, the correct picture is displayed. When I remove a contact from my favourites, they remain in the widget.

This occurred yesterday after updating to fw12 and adding a large amount of mp3s to the phone. 

I have my n97 on the desk in front of me with the battery removed to see if this will rectify the problem. Turning the phone on/off did not make a difference.

Please use plain text.

Taking the battery out did indeed fix the problem earlier today. However its now the evening and the problem has returned....

I just tried taking the battery out (a pain because I have a plastic protector case...)but the problem is still there for now. Hopefully this is a bug that can be resolved?

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Like you I suffered from a reocurrence ... that second time indeed the battery trick did not work. Strange enough they returned later after a restart of the phone, where the phone switched of because my battery was flat. Has been working ever since. I am still running the V11 Firmware - So from you note I gather the issue persists in V12 ? This is by the way the only real issue (if it qualifies as an issue) I have had with the phone ... Must admit that I love it to bits :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Well, I've returned my phone to the shop and got a new one no questions asked...

Makes me think there might be some problems with the N97 in general.

Unfortunately the replacement is even worse. Hangs about three to four times a day, incredibly slow, contacts issue there again but battery trick won't work at all.

And no, I did not use contact copier and transferred the bugs from the old phone to the new one...

Am I just extremely unlucky?

Now I'm going to return this one as well and see if I can get something different...something that works.

Or should I give Nokia another try. The phone is so bugged and so slow, I can't believe it's just bad luck. 

Please use plain text.

I ended up doing a hard reset of the phone (*#7370#) after backing up my contacts and phone settings. Also uninstalled a few applications that I didn't use or no longer needed. So far so good, I haven't had the problem return. Also, after the hard reset my headphone remote (the one that came with the n97) works now, whereas before it didn't....

No idea what the cause of the problem was but the hard reset did seem to fix the problem for now. I'm guessing it was an application that I had installed?? The phone software definitely needs some stability fixes. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
banrasad

I am having the same problem. Tried removing the battery and restore factory settings , but no luck. At present my firmware version in v20.0.06 . Is there any permanent solution for this ?

Please use plain text.
aljuhaili58

favourite contacts photo doesnt apear on home screen just the name & recently even name disapears
Please use plain text.
Schubz7

[ Edited ]

Hello Dear Friends,:smileyhappy:

I am glad to inform you that I have found a solution for this issue I apologize if someone else has already found a solution for this.For the record I would love to share it anyway.

I noticed that my favorite contacts' pictures on the main screen disappeared leaving just black boxes soon after I updated to latest firmware followed this step and it worked.

Steps

1.First please back up all your sensitive informations contacts,SMS and etc etc using Ovi Suite
2.Make a hard reboot *#7370# code (enter code in dialer)
3.It will take roughly 1-2 mins at Max for it to reboot,please don't try to use factory setting it doesn't help.
4.This eventually will bring you back to original start up when you first switched on in the beginning when you purchased the phone.
5.After entering proper details your phone will in default mode.
6.Connect your phone to your PC through USB and then go to Ovi suite and go tools to click add device follow the instructions.
7.Below the window you will find restore,make sure you restore phase by phase e.g. contacts first and then etc etc.

I can confirm that it has worked for me,I hope it will work for you.

Please note: I am not responsible for any damage your phone suffers during this process,this is merely
             My own experience and IM not in anyway implying that this is the ABSOLUTE solution.

Good Luck
S.R

Please use plain text.

I have just updated my 5800 to V52. Previously my four favourite numbers were shown on the home screen without any problem. When I updated I had to reinput the images again; previously you could see all four images quite clearly, now the images are larger,  there are two centre screen and left and right is only showing half of the image.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Please use plain text.