Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Filling a 6Gb card on an N95

Advisor

Filling a 6Gb card on an N95

Has anyone using a 6Gb card actually put more than 4Gb on it?

I've got one in my N95 and I had loads of problems when I 1st used it and came here to discuss.
Unfortunately I got banned and had the thread removed by a jobsworth moderator because someone else involved in the thread started discussing doing things with nokia phones that nokia don't like us to talk about and because he didn't know the difference between a word with a double meaning and a swear word so I never managed to tell you what the problem was.

Anyway, that off my chest so back to it... I have discovered that the problem always arises as soon as I go over 4Gb on the card (4096 I think is the proper figure in Mb). It repeatedly restarts every couple of mins (blank then blue Nokia on white the nback into o/s although it doesn't ask for pin like it does when I turn it on). This continues until I remove the memory card and will happen again when reinserted unless I delete files to take it back under the 4Gb.

I think the o/s has been artificially restricted to this (as far as I understand there is no reason why it can't support any size SDHC especially as it sees the card and reports it's size correctly) so that the 8Gb version sells

The phone is Orange branded running on V11.0.026.

I think my phone has been knobbled by a bunch of winkers at Nokia.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
shayesta

Ive got 6GB card MicroSDHC Sandisk.
I have 4,521 songs in aacPlus format (.aac) occupying 4.71GB
These songs are in 32kbits, Stereo, 44,100Hz Quality amazing like MP3 in CD quality & Got some applications too...

So far no probs on mine :smileyhappy: runs perfect.
btw i have v12.0.013 also network branded firmware seem to cause problems.

finally v13 is on its ways soon :smileyhappy:
If you find my post useful then click on
Kudos!
Nokia N96 (v20.050 / RM-247)
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks for the reply shayesta - that's actually the same card as mine (the only one available I think) so it must be phone software. Groan...You know what I'm thinking but I can't say it on here so I'll just say:-

Fingers crossed for Orange pulling their fingers out & getting up to speed on the firmware front otherwise I shall be pulling the plug on the rest of the phones on our business contract (my N95 is the only one tied, the rest have served their time).

Nokia, you should insist on operators keeping up with this - do you really want them to make your hardware look shoddy when there are fixes available (also you get people going off and doing things with their phones which are so terrible that we can't even mention them here).

I'm wondering whether to go off to post on every forum I can find about how some Nokia phones have unnecessarily restricted memory capacity, and all because of a slack operator...reflects badly doesn't it?!?!?!?!?!
Please use plain text.
Advisor

can you access your card by usb mass storage ?

cuz i've got the 4GB and every time i have to remove it from the phone to the card reader.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
your signature to help him gain world domination
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I can access it fine through the phone. It shows as 6Gb (well 5.6Gb - you know how it works) and tells me correctly how much is used and free.

It also works fine in a card reader.

The phone just does not seem to like me putting more than 4Gb on it from any source. If I fill it with songs on the card reader and then put it in the card reader it is fine until I access the card (either by running a prog on it or playing media from it).

What firmware are you on mr_q8?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

**Gasp** He said "firmware"...**Gasp**

Back to our conversation.. my N95 is on 12.0.013 and it's running
around 5GB full on my 6GB card with no problems whatsoever.

No auto-rebooting, no hanging, no stutters. Just working as per normal.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

So come on Nokia...

Why does the Nokia Software Updater say I'm on the latest release when there are other people quite clearly with phones on a newer release?!?!?!?!?!?

No wonder people want to talk about those things that you don't want them to.

Please respond before I have to use one of those forbidden words to grab your attention.
Please use plain text.
Sage
darkmax

your firmware could be from an operator, thus it is not as "new" as the others.
Been a phone user since the Ericsson 318
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Yes, it is from an operator..Orange UK.

As I understand it (happy to be corrected) Orange tweak the Firmware to include operator specific things and submit for release for their models so the delay in an updated firmware being available for the phone is down to Orange being slow in making their operator specific changes.

This makes Orange phones on said network appear substandard which, in turn, reflects badly on the phones manufacturer and leaves owners of these phones disillusioned.

Orange should be quicker to submit the update (July the non-operatore version was released wasn't it?) and Nokia should apply more pressure to them to ensure they do so.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

Nokia (or indeed, any manufacturer) is not in a position of strength for force this issue.

The network operators in may countries dominate the market for the sale of mobile phones, so they are in a position where they can demand their own versions of the phones and firmware to their own particular specifications so that they can promote their own brand and services, and sometimes to lock customers into their own services.

However, having done this, they have achieved their target and firmware updates are for them low priority.

The first phone maker that started trying to dictate terms to an operator in these dominated markets would be the first one to be dropped from that operator's stock list.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

So you think they'd drop the iphone?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

No, that's a special case where one operator in each country has won the right to sell it. The 'lucky/unlucky' operators (depending on your personal view!) will seek to protect their exclusive deals.

I think that in deciding to operate in this way, Apple have put themselves into the stronger position to begin with. This is a unique case, and we won't see if it backfires on Apple until the iPhone is widely in use. It all depends on how well put-together the device is, as we have seen with many mobile phones, an attractive spec and sales pitch won't wash with the buying public if the product fails to perform...
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Well put together, well marketed, good specification phones that the public will want...

Maybe that's the key? They'll never go for it.
Please use plain text.
Sage
darkmax

I'll rather wait for the LG Voyager.... but then again, my days as a innovator/trend chaser is well over. I'll wait a few more months and see what happens with this "new" full screen phones.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
roberth

back to the memory card problems
Have you formatted your card? This may/can solve the problem
Formatting the memory card deletes all data so please save first
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Question on this topic. What firmware do you have? And does the 6 Gb card work with O2 firmware 11.0.26?

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Advisor

The issue is with 11.0.026 firmware on an Orange branded phone. I guess it will be the same across all branded phones.

4Gb IS the max on any phone without a firmware beginning in 12.

If this is really an issue for you I suggest visiting different forums to these as if I take this response any further it will get removed and I will probably get a ban (again).

Not too much of a worry though as there are plenty of other places to go for advice on these phones :smileywink:

PS I no longer have this issue (don't get wound up Mr Moderator, for all you know I've sold my 6Gb card and bought a 4Gb).
Please use plain text.
Sage
darkmax

Would the new firmware support a 8Gb card though. The new card is slated to be out very soon.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Send me one and I'll tell you.

I can't really see why not but then I couldn't see why it wouldn't work with a 6Gb when it reported its size correctly.
Please use plain text.
Sage
darkmax

one should always format the card before use.

but it could be that the card is faulty.
Please use plain text.