Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

From N95 to N95-8GB.

Professor

Re: From N95 to N95-8GB.

"I would rather have the built in memory than having to carry uSDs"

Yes, uSDs are quite large to carry :smileywink:

Fact is that you get printers etc electronics currently with cheap price, having MC slot. Do you get printers currently where you can print with uPNP?

"QVGA screen the same size as the N95 8GB. For videos it's better"

Do you really have so good quality mobile videos available?
->
"full quality for N91 is about 400 MB, the same movie at full quality in QVGA is about 900 MB"

Same resolution, do you see the difference? Or something you believe looks better? How about streaming full quality?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
i_nic

Wow... some fierce discussion here. I'll throw in my little thoughts....

Memory card vs. internal. I personally prefer the idea of being able to remove the memory. It provides more options.

The argument of file sharing is limited, as if you're sharing with another N95 user, then you would not be able to copy the file to your own memory card if you have to swap cards with them to swap files... but there are instances where you could take the card out and transfer to a PC, assuming you have a suitable card slot available. Chances are, you'd still need the uSD to SD converter, and therefore you could just as easily use a standard USB cable!?! I think we're basically chasing our own tails on this one.

2.8" screen - every little counts. But with battery life at a premium, who can afford to run the larger screen? OK, so the battery is larger capacity, but come on - who can honestly say this increase isn't just a marketing gimmick?

More RAM - someone said this would also use more power - I fail to see how, but perhaps that's just my ignorance of how these things work. I would have thought with intelligent power managment, and the small amounts of memory we're talking about, that any difference would be negligable.

Camera lens cover... hmmm... that's just daft. The only reason I can think of is to stop the thing draining the battery when you accidentally open the cover in your pocket. No cover = no means of opening it accidentally.

So... Will Nokia be making any other improvements? Probably, but then again I'm guessing that bug fixes will be common accross both. The interesting thing will be to see if they provide extra features which we won't get on the original.

Interesting statement by someone else here... no continuous playback on MP3 tracks. I had found gaps in music which should have been continuous, but had assumed this was something I had done wrong in the transfer of the music in the first place. At least I don't have to research this one now! Would be nice if we can get them to fix this!

Overall - it's a fantastic toy, and no-one can convince me otherwise. It has failings, most obviously with battery, but again referring to someone else's comment - buy it with your eyes wide open, and it's just great. :smileyhappy:

P.S. Still waiting for FW V12 for my particular model... come on Nokia... I want to upgrade!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
patriciaanne3

I don't understand why you can't get the updated firmware-surely all service providers have allowed this facility by now as it is a great improvement on the original.

20-Sep-200702:10 PM
i_nic wrote:
Wow... some fierce discussion here. I'll throw in my little thoughts....

Memory card vs. internal. I personally prefer the idea of being able to remove the memory. It provides more options.

The argument of file sharing is limited, as if you're sharing with another N95 user, then you would not be able to copy the file to your own memory card if you have to swap cards with them to swap files... but there are instances where you could take the card out and transfer to a PC, assuming you have a suitable card slot available. Chances are, you'd still need the uSD to SD converter, and therefore you could just as easily use a standard USB cable!?! I think we're basically chasing our own tails on this one.

2.8" screen - every little counts. But with battery life at a premium, who can afford to run the larger screen? OK, so the battery is larger capacity, but come on - who can honestly say this increase isn't just a marketing gimmick?

More RAM - someone said this would also use more power - I fail to see how, but perhaps that's just my ignorance of how these things work. I would have thought with intelligent power managment, and the small amounts of memory we're talking about, that any difference would be negligable.

Camera lens cover... hmmm... that's just daft. The only reason I can think of is to stop the thing draining the battery when you accidentally open the cover in your pocket. No cover = no means of opening it accidentally.

So... Will Nokia be making any other improvements? Probably, but then again I'm guessing that bug fixes will be common accross both. The interesting thing will be to see if they provide extra features which we won't get on the original.

Interesting statement by someone else here... no continuous playback on MP3 tracks. I had found gaps in music which should have been continuous, but had assumed this was something I had done wrong in the transfer of the music in the first place. At least I don't have to research this one now! Would be nice if we can get them to fix this!

Overall - it's a fantastic toy, and no-one can convince me otherwise. It has failings, most obviously with battery, but again referring to someone else's comment - buy it with your eyes wide open, and it's just great. :smileyhappy:

P.S. Still waiting for FW V12 for my particular model... come on Nokia... I want to upgrade!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
el_loco

10-Sep-200707:57 AM
turo wrote:
"I would rather have the built in memory than having to carry uSDs"

Yes, uSDs are quite large to carry :smileywink:

Fact is that you get printers etc electronics currently with cheap price, having MC slot. Do you get printers currently where you can print with uPNP?

"QVGA screen the same size as the N95 8GB. For videos it's better"

Do you really have so good quality mobile videos available?
->
"full quality for N91 is about 400 MB, the same movie at full quality in QVGA is about 900 MB"

Same resolution, do you see the difference? Or something you believe looks better? How about streaming full quality?

uSD are too small to carry around. That's my point, they are easy to loose.

Printers?, I've never used my phone directly with a printer for anything. For pictures I first check the pictures in my PC, make corrections if necessary then take them to a photo lab on a hog drive, SD card or whatever. Actually, mostly I use my Nikon D70S for pictures not these punny cameraphones.

If you PM me your email, I can send you samples of High Quality videos so you see what I mean. Good quality QVGA videos look quite nice on N93 or N95.

N91 maximum quality resolution (not the same thing as maximum resolution) is 208x176, QVGA is 320x240. N91 doesn't support QVGA playback (out of the box).

What I call max. quality is the maximum bitrate/framerate/resolution combination that will yield the best looking video. So it's a compromise between those three factors. You can lower the framerate and up the resolution or bitrate, but the video becomes choppy, you can lower the bitrate and pump up the framerate but then the videos become pixelated, you can pump up the resolution but sacrifice either framerate, bitrate or both.

Video Streaming is quite difficult to compare as there are many factors that affect the quality. First of all it's the source video, then the encoding method, then the server that has the streams, the bandwidth, and lastly the capabilities of the device (screen, etc). So it's difficult to say what's full quality in streaming as there will be different answers depending on the file (resolution, bitrate), codec and bandwidth.

I hope this clears some of my comments. Cheers!

640K Should be enough for everybody
El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
korngear

Yeah!
el_loco!
Remember the videos I sent you?:smileyhappy:
I bet they will look gorgeous on N95 8GB.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
el_loco

Yeah they would most likely do!

O

640K Should be enough for everybody
El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Can anyone confirm me on this statement :

Darla and the Guru have some live pics of the N95 US version on their sites.

From all accounts the US version sports some improvements. The major being the 1200mAh battery!!!!

Cosmetically, the multimedia keys have been "rubberized" for more comfort. The back panel cover comes in black. The downfall, no camera lens.....

The US version supports 128mb of RAM as well......

This statement is taken from : ----//roberthall.vox.com
------------------

So N95 US version is almost identical with Nokia N95 except 1gb RS-SD memory vs 8gb RAM?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

So far what I know is that the differences are :

NOKIA N95 Original has :
*external memory up to 2gb
(more flexible when I want to transfer data, and next year I can buy Samsung 32gb RS-SD)
*Camera Lens has a shutter to protect your lens from scratches and dust.
*auto focus is slower
(hope this can be improved with new Nokia Firmware)
*it comes with 64mb RAM.
(This is the real main problem, however rumous say that original N95 US version comes with 128mb RAM).
*Battery life is shorter, for heavy uses, car adapter or spare battery is always recommended.
(rumous say that original N95 US version can use the 1200mh battery, however maybe need to sacrifice camera lens's cover)
*slow GPS has been solved with new SW, update A-GPS.
*silver and plum color case

NOKIA N95 8gb has :
*No Memory card slot just 8gb internal memory
(need a bluetooth or USB cable for tranferring data)
*No camera shutter to protect camera lens
*auto focus is faster
*comes with 128mb RAM
(More RAM does not really increase the speed performance, however you can have more multitasking aspect with no low memory cautions)
*Bigger battery
(more battery life +/- 26%, but considering it has bigger screen, maybe it will square off by the end of the day)..
*and a 2.8 screen rather then the normal 2.6 screen that the nokia n95 has...
(0.2 make a quite obvious different)
*slow GPS has been solved with new SW, update A-GPS.
*black color case only

Did I miss anything else?

The only differences that I think is important are:

*RAM (64mb VS 128mb)
*speed of camera autofocus
*battery

For other spec. : 2.8 screen, external memory, camera lens cover, I still can accept the original N95.

I understand that when Nokia releases N95 8gb, the price of original N95 will drop eventually. So considering the price difference, I will choose original N95.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I did not recommend anyone to replace N95 housings such as in roberth's blog : http://roberthall.vox.com/
---------------
Please note that the pictures of replacement N95 housings in roberth's blog are not authentic Nokia products. The N95 is not a phone envisaged by the manufacturer to have user-replaceable components in this way, and as such installing third party accessories of this nature will void the warranty of an N95 phone.

All Nokia customers would be well advised to keep this in mind when offered third-party phone components.

quoted from NOKIA STAFF
--------------------------------

I was mainly asking if anyone can confirm the statement made
in Roberth blog if US version of N95 originally comes with 1200mh battery and 128 RAM
Please use plain text.