Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

'G' symbol

Registered Member
ruthybaby1986

'G' symbol

can someone tell me what the 'G' symbol at the top of the screen means and if it is meant to be there all the time?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

Re: 'G' symbol

just means that you have 3g service.  thats a good thing! :smileywink:  otherwise you would proly have an "E"

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mocyoung

Actually that reply is wrong. A G symbol indicates you are connected to a GPRS network. If it's on its own, you are connected without data being transferred. If it's in a box you are transferring data or have an active internet connection. If your phone has the capability, then you will also sometimes see an E when you are connected to the EDGE network, which is faster than GPRS but slower than 3G.

If you're on a contract or have a web agreement with your provider, then the G is probably supposed to be on all the time. Usually it means in your settings in connection your packet data setting is set to "always connected" rather than "when needed"

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Actually mocyoung is wrong. The GPRS network is not supposed to show a letter G, rather its supposed to show a stylized antenna icon.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

[ Edited ]

this is getting funny now.

here, lets clear this up.

what phone model are you using?

edit: 

it doesnt matter, guessing it is a c6, according to the manual http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/nam/phones/guides/Nokia_C6-00_UG_en-US.pdf

on page 22, everything that shows with a "g" is 3g/high speed data.

anything without a letter or number but having only the double-arrow is going to be a standard data connections or egprs (edge)

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

correct its the speed available at location your presently in

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

correct i agree .

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mocyoung

@chanchan Neither of my last 3 phones have been 3G, yet they display a G symbol when surfing WAP, or an E if signal is good enough for EDGE. I've never seen this stylised antenna you mention, unless you're on about my general mobile signal strength indicator.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
carpetshark

I get the G when I'm on my home wifi. I can't get the G on my carrier's network as the C6 doesn't use the 1700 band. Not that I care, either. I can make a call. I want most of my apps to work without using an internet connection. W
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

I dont get a G except on 3G, i get the E, and the stylized antenna with arrows at the bottom. Depends on what phone I guess, as I am using a Symbian phone (s60v5), and I would guess your phone probably is an s40 type.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

best mocyoung,

my nokia C3-00 has a G with a box around it on the top left corner of the screen.

but i know it means GPRS but ever since that symbol appeared I can't access internet any more.

do you have a solution?

greetings

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

have you tried rebooting device?

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
TANKAIYUAN

WHEN YOUR NOKIA DEVICE IS ON 3G G IS MEAN THE 3G,BUT SOME TIMES YOU CONNECTION ON 2G IS MEAN THE SLOWER SPEED GPRS
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
BrotherAndy

to turn off the G symbol go to:  Menu, Settings, Connectivity, Packet Data, Packet Data Connection

Then turn Packet Data Connection from "Always Online" to "When Needed".

The "G" symbol will turn off.

The "G" symbol was triggered on my phone when I dropped my son off at college and his school uses Packet Data Connections for the students to send or receive to their phone within the schools network.

I carry an old Nokia 2660b flip phone as well as my Samsung Galaxy 3.  I actually use the data phone as a handy computer while I carry on conversations with the flip phone that is on an incredible voice plan when I started the service with Cellular One who sold out to AT&T.  The Galaxy phone is hooked up with Sprint that has unlimited data and free cell to cell calls.  So I talk as long as I want on the Nokia and Data all day long on the Galaxy.

I'll find out if the "G" symbol will pop up when I take my son back to school in the fall.

Please use plain text.
JaneyD

Thank you so much for that. I just could not see in the manual how to stop the 'G' that had suddenly appeared on my husbands C2, He is SO grateful!
Please use plain text.