Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Google Maps on Nokia Belle

Counsellor
vlado3g
Accepted Solution

Google Maps on Nokia Belle

Google Maps is very important for us in the USofA .. and it seems to be working on some devices, and not on others. it worked on my N8 for a day, and then it started crashing on boot.

Any chance we can push google to update the app for Belle ? 

Anyone else with this problem ? I know couple of other people on another forum have the same problem as I do. 

Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

If it was working and then stopped, have you tried doing an "8 second" reset?

Power off, hold power button for about 8 seconds until you feel three vibrations, leave for 30 seconds then re-start.

I'd say your chances of Google doing anything to support Symbian are very slim indeed.

N95 (RM159) V31.0.017, N8 (RM596) Belle 111.040.1511
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
78clAudio

The only you need to do to start Google Maps on Nokia Belle, is enable the wifi connection before start the application. I had the same problem!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
greenza11

I've just upgrade my N8 to Belle, and Google Maps doesn't work at all. I tried turning it on with enabled but not luck.

Very annoying as i used it a lot!!

Hopefully Nokia will release update to sort this issue if google doesn't update Google maps symbian (fingers crossed)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

[ Edited ]

the wi-fi on/off worked for me (thank you 78claudio). I am guessing its some other app ..maybe a random conflict or something. I think if you do a clean install (refurbish) it will be fine. 

wi-fi on: works

wi-fi off: crashes on boot. 

I am not going to click "solved" until we have more people confirm that this fixes it. 

Please use plain text.
renji_n

Google maps works fine on WiFi but not on mobile internet connections. It just does not start up.

Please use plain text.
nobilesoft

Google Latitude not work, using Google Maps 4.0.0 or 4.1.1 Latitude is not work, it not open in the Google Maps menu. Latitude work on Symbian Anna. Android migration ...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
topale

Hi - confirming that the WiFi seems to play a role when starting Google Maps!

With wifi ON, it starts ok - with WiFi OFF Gmaps crashes.

Funny though - if you enable wifi, allow Gmaps to start&run, and then disable wifi again then Gmaps still keeps rolling...  

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pavka007

I am running E7 and is working even better than on Anna. Remember that on Belle don't seems to have option of starting automatic ( at least I couldn't find it`) you need to switch on and off your WIFI or Mobile data by "sliding" down the screen like it is on Android. Just run your finger from the top of the screen and will drop down new screen with every connection for you to activate.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

I works with Wi-Fi on for me.. I guess it needs a clean install for it to work properly, but this is good enough for now

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
i10075

Does not work at all!!!! Even if it worked with wifi why do we need to do extra steps. Isn't it a SMARTphone.

Every time when Nokia releases update it is full with bugs. Belle is not bad but many convenient previous features are ignored. For example no shortcut for individual mailbox, SMS short cut brings me to a list with sent/received messages with no indication which is what kind. Connectivity settings are step back as well, power savings mode has been moved to the hard button, no battery life indicator.... Etc.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
greenza11

I can't get it to work either. I tried installing and reinstalling Google Maps. Tried all the above ways of starting it up with WiFi on and it crashes every time. Very annoying as I use this program a lot.

Another reason why I will be making the move to Android in July when I get my upgrade, and will be ending my 12 year dedication to Nokia..........bang, bang........final nail in the coffin!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Hoisin

I have had no problems with Google Maps on my N8 after Belle update at all. It opens an internet connection, wifi or gsm automatically without any problems like it did before Belle update.

I did a complete factory reset on my N8 before updating to Belle.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rtiwari_in

[ Edited ]

Dear all,
I am using google map ver 4.1.1 on E7 (belle) present version working with GPRS, if wifi is on, otherwise its not working, please check - first "on" wifi then open google map with your active gprs access point.
I am waiting for best solution from Nokia belle or Google
Rakesh Kumar Tiwari 

Moderator's note: Personal email address removed. It is unwise to share personal information on a public forum.

Please use plain text.
Sage
matthewleech

google maps no longer working for me either.

N8 -> Mass memory format and hard reset -> Belle installation -> google maps installation.

:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
eirag

I´m having the same problem.  Before uppgraiding til Belli (wich by the way is great upgrade in most ways) I haven´t been aple to download Google maps or Google Latitude, wich I used to use a lot in my unupgraded N8.

Now I would like to knnw here if Nokia is considering some kind of fix on this or maybe the problem lies at Google, but this is a greatly missed not to be able to use Latitude or google maps.

With hope for a quik solution

Eiður

from Iceland.

Please use plain text.
sbj17

Thanks a lot, now google map is working on my C7.
Please use plain text.
sbj17

sat. layer in nokia map is only showing gray colour, it should be like in google map.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
PeteGl

Can I ask why people want Google maps on their phones when Nokia maps seem OK to me?

Pete
Please use plain text.
Sage
matthewleech

Can I ask why people want Google maps on their phones when Nokia maps

> seem OK to me?

I find the search (for business name) in Nokia Maps to return poor (aka wrong!) results so I tended to use google maps to find my destination, look at the location on the map then switch to Nokia Maps and find the location by address.

I also used to have Latitude switched on in background 24/7 so that friends and family knew my whereabouts (as I travel between countries a lot).

Please use plain text.