Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Hard reset Nokia N97 without knowing lock password

Contributor
toolmania1

Hard reset Nokia N97 without knowing lock password

I received this phone from our inventory at work.  I am not sure who used it before me.  But, I do not know the lock pass code.  How can I hard reset it without knowing the lock password.  Everything I try, I am prompted for the lock password except one attempt.  I held in the up arrow, shift key and back arrow while powering on.  This did some type of reset.  But, the lock password still is not 12345.

So, either the lock password for Nokia N97 is not 12345 by default, or this is not a true hard reset?

Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Re: Hard reset Nokia N97 without knowing lock password

you need the code to reset either way so if its not 12345 you will have to send it to a nokia care centre

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
toolmania1

That is what I have been reading.  I wonder why that would be the case?  I did not steal the device.  We own this device.  I need to honestly reset it. 

This is not directed at you.  It is just in general discussion.  We work with a lot of devices and I find it very consumer unfriendly to have this type of situation.

But, anyways, thanks for your reply.  That was very helpful :-).

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

well either your company or the network changed the code buddy

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
toolmania1

Yes, I understand that.  We test many other devices.  Those devices allow us to hard reset and get out of jams like this.  It might be something to consider in the future.  But, thanks for your response.  Once again, I mean no harm.  Just trying to figure this out :-).

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

no problem

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

The whole point of a Security Code is that it can't be changed unless you know the existing one.
Its there to stop a thief from being able to access the phone.
The procedure to remove a forgotten or unknown code is simply to send it to Nokia with proof of ownership.
That certainly seems reasonable to me.
As for your particular case, why not find out who changed the code and ask them?
Please use plain text.
Sage
archie_

If you can access the phone (if the lock isn't active), you may* be able to search for something online to give the code - big maybe. If the lock is active, then Nokia Care is the only option. You should take it to Nokia.
Symbian connected me to the world, to my dreams.. Thank-you Nokia
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

You could try changing the sim, it may be a sim lock code and not a phone lock code, I have my sim locked but if I change for spare sim the phone doesn't require a code it just starts ! Worth a try ?

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
milesh

when you are taking your phone to Nokia Care please take proof of purcase of your device.

Glad to help :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Sage
princemarvin

I have one question here, a hard reset using backspace+spacebar+shift+power on does not restore the phone lock code to the defaults 12345? I have not tried it before but I would like to know why it does or it doesn't change the phone lock code although it restores all other settings to default.
Thanks.
If you like my post & find it helpful click on the Kudos button... Thanks.. ;-)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

this is to stop somebody else putting another sim card in it and using it

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
abdul786

i have problem with starting my n97 device i forget the the lock code that i gave it.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

ONLY way to get the lock code reset to its default value 12345 is thru' Nokia Care. A proof of ownership (Bill / Invoice) will be needed ...

Please use plain text.
Sage
shamsi_boy

lol/there is absolutely no need to take a proof of ownership to nokia care.i had given my phone several times to nokia care because of this sort of problems and they didn ask for any proof even for a single time.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

shamsi_boy wrote:

lol/there is absolutely no need to take a proof of ownership to nokia care.i had given my phone several times to nokia care because of this sort of problems and they didn ask for any proof even for a single time.

Then its a lapse on their part or they are NOT doing their job properly. The purpose of asking the proof is to ascertain that you are the Genuine user of the Phone ..else, even if someone finds (a lost phone) or steals your phone will approach them and get it unlocked ..

Please use plain text.
mobileguru

jimmyireland wrote:
you need the code to reset either way so if its not 12345 you will have to send it to a nokia care centre

You are wrong jimmy and your comments are rude "buddy".

Here is the correct response.

Hold the left shift key, the spacebar and the back key then the power key, hold them until the device asks for the country etc.

I don't care if you click my little white star or not. I'm not here for the attention. I'm just here to help.

Please use plain text.
Onkija

sure Y have remove Youre sim before H.reset.

Please use plain text.