Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How To Hard Reset N8

Mobile Sensei
carman58

How To Hard Reset N8

[ Edited ]

Just to help people who have reported problems re-setting the N8, apparently there is a button combo to reset, Kudos to AAS 

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/12185_Another_three_finger_salute_do.php

----------------------------------

Text below has been added by Nokia:

Important information from the official N8 FAQ

(http://europe.nokia.com/support/search?page=1&fullcontent=true&cat=support&cnt=1&qt=n8+reset)

You should not use the "three finger" reset (pressing volume down + camera key + menu key and pressing power button) to hard reset the Nokia N8-00 device. Doing this will delete some applications (Ovi Store, Ovi Maps, some preinstalled widgets) which cannot be restored.

If the device needs to be reset, try the following methods instead of the "three finger" reset:

1. Press down the power button for 8 seconds.
  2. Restore the factory settings by selecting Menu > Settings > Phone > Phone management > Factory settings > Restore.

The "three finger" reset should be used only as a last resort if the device cannot be booted up in any other way.

If successful, the device can be used after the reset but some of the applications are missing. The device needs to be taken to a Nokia Care point for reflashing to get the original applications back in the device.

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Professor
vvaino

Re: Hard reset N8

Hello,

Great @carman, I can imagine, this is important information!

-vvaino

PS. What did you mean with "kudos to AAS"? Not to you?

#SwitchToLumia
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

AAS is the site I 'stole' the tip from, I simply passed it on :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Professor
vvaino

Ok, so kudos to you!

-vvaino

#SwitchToLumia
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

You'll have to write a PoK article about this before someone else does. I'm sure AAS won't mind you borrowing the picture as long as you credit the source.

Kudos for being the first to post it here :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

ha carman the thief god shame on you nice find LOL
KUDOS

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Cheers Psycho :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

Just in case someone needs to reformat the Nokia N8, a Forum Nokia blog post describes how to do this. Excerpt:

How to Full Format your bricked N8?
    Many guys here face the "brick" problem after trying to play with FontRouter. So I have to find the way to recover it and at last I found one. (And I have to warn you here that DON'T USE FontRouter ON YOUR N8 OR YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE)

Here is the method to full format and make bricked N8 come alive again:

1) Turn off your phone

2) Hold "Volume Down + Camera Key + Menu Key" and press power button until your phone shake

3) Wait until screen show properly... and welcome back!!

Please note that I found these problems after doing full format:

1. I lost Ovi Maps. However, you could reinstall it by download it here

2. I also lost Ovi Store 2.0 and I can't reinstall it since it always show "Unable to install".

So please DON'T do full format if not neccessary or actually I must say that DO IT ONLY AS YOUR LAST CHOICE.

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

? !! :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

beautiful picture....isnt it! :smileywink:

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Professor
pudu

Re: How To Hard Reset N8

this topic has been started here

/t5/Nseries-and-S60-Smartphones/Hard-Reset-N8/td-p/770834

i found same tricks, tips, and some of the publishers here already published same thing,

i don't find much difference in repeating same thing again and again
Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

Great!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
arislgr

Hi,

I just posted that I am stuck with the o2 firmware in my N8; will the hard reset you mention here allow me to reinstall l Nokia's 'original' or 'free' , non o2 firmware?

Thanks Ahead!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

arislgr wrote:

Hi,

I just posted that I am stuck with the o2 firmware in my N8; will the hard reset you mention here allow me to reinstall l Nokia's 'original' or 'free' , non o2 firmware?

Thanks Ahead!

No

You are stuck with the o2 version of the firmware,

it will be upto o2 if and when you get future firmware updates, and the level of branding  and crapware you have to put up with with each update

any method of de-branding your phone you may read about elsewhere on the web will void your warenty and as such cannot be discussed here

can you give us an indication of the level of branding and additional apps o2 are imposing

Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

[ Edited ]

Anyone missing the QT runtime after the hard reset:

Has anyone tried reinstalling it?

it's available for download;

http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia.com/id/54b19eed-98ae-4e87-be19-f53758bd6734/Qt_4_7_for_Symb...

the download includes the none dev version of QT 4.6

There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
burakaydogdu

i tried hard reset. i had backup files before format. now, if i send it to phone again by content copier, will i lose anything? will there be something deleted? some apps some games? will there be any difference between now and yesterday for my phone?

Please use plain text.
kimikeymail

Hello, got my N8 today, all OK until Bluetoothing images from old phone.

The screen froze, I tried holding power button 8seconds, & it went off as expected

but now looks like it won't turn back on...

However with USB connected to my Windows7 laptop, the four fingered salute produces a

series of beeps from laptop AS IF USB cable being connected and disconnected.

Is this a case for repair or am I doing something wrong?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tigger2376

Kind of related. Can anyone help me with how to 'desinsitise' the touchscreen mode? My N8 keeps on putting calls on hold for example because my HAIR touches the screen while phone is to my ear!

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

@kimikeymail you can only do a hard reset with the phone switched off and not connected to any thing (charger or computer) if you try it when turned off it should work ! You may find holding the on/off button for a few seconds will get phone working again, a hard reset is a last resort, and it takes a long time to set your phone back up again and you may lose apps etc. Only info on C phone memory is affected not data on E mass memory.

Also not always advisable to do a full backup of phone as a full backup and restore may re-install the cause of a problem, always best to simply backup Contacts, Calendar and Notes, NOTHING else, you need to manually re-install apps etc and set up the settings on your phone manually.

Good Luck

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mudz14

My phone always restart after i launch OVI maps, will HARD RESET OF N8 will resolve the problem
Please use plain text.