Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How To Hard Reset N8

Mobile Sensei
carman58

Re: How To Hard Reset N8

I'd try installing the layest version of maps first, a hard reset involves a lot of work !

http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/ovi-maps-306

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hardresetn8

hi, i tried 3 finger reset but also doesn't help

Please use plain text.
Advisor
chunkylord

You are a genius.  The best part is, I still have the ovi store and maps.  Thank you very much. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
chunkylord

You forgot the power button.  Four fingers not three.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Pejonski91

I got a virus on my phone. And I tried the Hard Reset, but now I just lost the Ovi Map and Ovi Store. The virus is still in there. :smileymad: If anyone knows how to take out the virus or how to install Ovi Store, please let me know. I would really appreciate it.

Please use plain text.
Sage
rajhot

How did u know u had a virus? And in the future for these kind of s/w issues just do *#7370# don't go for the 4 key reset method and here is the link for restoring ovi store: http://mynokiablog.com/2010/12/10/how-to-restoring-ovi-store-on-nokia-n8-lost-after-hard-reset/
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
CunningCat

Rajhot, are you saying that 7370 is a milder format than the 3 finger routine? If yes, can you pls state the source of your information. Thanks.
Nokia C7 (RM-675)
Firmware: 013.016
Nokia C6 (RM-612)
Firmware: 20.0.042
Please use plain text.
Sage
rajhot

CunningCat wrote:
Rajhot, are you saying that 7370 is a milder format than the 3 finger routine? If yes, can you pls state the source of your information. Thanks.

Through experience dude :smileyhappy:

Use the 4 key method only when ur phone becomes dead and doesn't boot at all

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
CunningCat

ok. Can you pls tell what each does exactly and how they're different. Thanks.
Nokia C7 (RM-675)
Nokia C6 (RM-612)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

CunningCat wrote:
ok. Can you pls tell what each does exactly and how they're different. Thanks.

Let's just say that Nokia support *#7370# here: http://www.nokia.co.uk/support/product-support/n8-00/faq#05 under certain circumstances, but have no sympathy with anyone carrying out three key depressed power on "hard reset".

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Both methods effectively do the same thing, the three finger salute is a last resort if the phone screen cannot be accesssed or if it won't turn on, if you simply want to reset to create space or refresh the phone it is easier to use the keypad to dial *#7370# followed by 12345. It is also advisable to sync your contacts and messages on a regular basis on Ovi Suite or Via your Ovi Account.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
CunningCat

aspergerguy, your link contains nothing about 3 finger reset.
Nokia C7 (RM-675)
Nokia C6 (RM-612)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
CunningCat

in fact, the description of 7370 given at the link suggests that it is same as 3 finger reset.
Nokia C7 (RM-675)
Nokia C6 (RM-612)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

it's been suggested that the 3 finger salute 'hard reset' can cause the unrecoverable loss of some apps but that the *#7370# 'soft reset' doesn't have this affect , so hard reset is only recommended as a last resort before going to a Nokia Care Point , and always try the long hold on the power button before any reset , always easiest to take the simple route and avoid too much work ! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
racerex

From what I understand, neither the soft nor hard reset will touch the mass memory (E: drive).  So if the problem is in the E: drive then you are not solving anything by doing a soft or hard reset.  I actually went through a painful experience last night where my apps became corrupted and started disappearing.  This is how I recovered from it without doing any soft or hard resets...

http://www.thenokiareport.com/2011/01/nokia-n8-crashed-really-badly-last.html

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tomosis

hi i head problem whit my n8 after call it stuk program or i dont know, but i can do nothing with this phone is death. is just black screan and i cant turn on. or can help any one whit this problem

Please use plain text.
Employee

[ Edited ]

As stated by Carman58 above, it's not recommended to use the 3-finger reset and it's good in all cases to try first pressing down the power button for 8s in case the device has frozen.

If resetting the device, it's recommended to do this by going to Menu > Settings > Phone > Phone management > Factory settings and select one of the two options there (or type the corresponding command on the keypad):

1) Restore (*#7780#)

This command restores the original (i.e. factory) settings and does not affect documents or files stored on the device.

This command is the same as the command *#7780# typed on the keypad.

This is a milder command than the command below, so you should try this first if it solves your issue.

2) Delete data and restore (*#7370#)

This command restores the original (factory) settings and deletes all content from mass memory E:, also the pre-loaded content including e.g. widgets. The command deletes also all user content from the phone memory C:.

This command is the same as the command *#7370# typed on the keypad.

Note that all the user files on E: mass memory and C: phone memory will also be deleted, e.g. the photos and videos, so it is important to copy the user data before resetting the device with this command.

Please use plain text.
Qewee

Re: Hard reset N8

Yor steps dosn't work with me...

I donno what's the problem with my phone... Just Every day he made some data send or making call from my SIM card and that cos me every day arround 19 sent and i have no hand with it

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Stoney268

Same problem here... After N8 being stuck in whatsapp again the only option was to switch it off... After that unable to turn it on, even a hard reset doesnt work!!! Since the latest nokia software update (firmware) it got stuck more often then before!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
driggy

Hard reset doesn't t work at my phone, simply "Brick in the wall".  If somebody can help I would be grateful:smileysad:

Please use plain text.