Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How do I tell if my Nokia n8 is unlocked?

Advisor
meedo1

How do I tell if my Nokia n8 is unlocked?

thanks!

I won a Nokia N8 at a conference this weekend. The Nokia people said it would work on either AT&T or T-mobile – does this mean the phone is "unlocked"? 

If not, how do I check to see if it is? I see plenty of websites that let me unlock the phone, but I don't know how to just check to see if it already is unlocked.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: How do I tell if my Nokia n8 is unlocked?

Easiest way to tell is to insert various sim cards and see if they work. Perhaps you could try friends or families sims in it?

The box may also give you a clue, if no carriers are mentioned on the white ID label then chances are it is unlocked.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@meedo1

A note of caution please do not try microSIM by itself or in adaptor in your N8!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

You could also check your phones product code against the Nokia servers which will reveal whether the phone is locked to a specific network or not. Type *'0000# into your phones dialler to reveal the product code. 

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
allup

If you want to use your phone on any different networks such as switching from AT&T to T-Mobile, then you will need to unlock your Nokia N8 otherwise it's unlocked.
Please use plain text.