Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: How is standby time determined?

Sage
peterh338

[ Edited ]

Update:

After another 24hrs of testing two phones, I have to conclude that the much shortened battery life was due to Nokia Maps, and probably the Maps Improvement feature having been turned ON.

That's all that is left.

However it's going to be possibly difficult to check this because that app's online "data transmission habits" are very sporadic.

Another possibility, impossible to verify, is that some other process was responsible (possibly one of the 4 which I terminated, for 1 day at a time) and it went away all by itself.

Counsellor
dradel

Hi peterh338.  Are you running FP2 on your Nokia 700? If so, how does the battery life compare to FP1 on your phone with the battery problem solved? I am reluctant to upgrade from FP1.

With the AMOLED screen, I imagine the lighter Evolve theme in FP2 will possibly (even if only slightly) affect the battery life. Maybe....

Mobile Sensei
paulheu

peterh338 wrote:

I see in the Nokia 700 specs:

GSM Standby Time up to 465.0 hours

That is about 10x longer than the battery lasts for, if the phone is not used at all.

TEN TIMES.

What am I doing wrong?

Standby time is the amount of time the phone is actually in standby.

For Symbian Phones this is the state the phone is in when you press the on/off button and the phone then goes off. It really does not, it goes into standby which is why you still have the alarm and you can charge the phone in this state. It is basically a sleep mode.

A phone is only off once the battery is removed and re-inserted without a connected charger or when the battery can't be removed the powerbutton is pressed for at least 10 seconds.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Sage
peterh338

That is unbelievable.

A phone which is turned off (with the bottom RH button) doesn't do anything at all.

Are you saying the alarm clock still works?

OK I can believe it then lasts a few weeks. That is certainly what I have found. But it is OFF.

On the FP1 v. FP2, it was with FP2 that the battery started to really go down. But I am not 100% sure it is FP2 related.

One thing I noticed today, spending all day in a place with a good HSPA ("3.5G") signal but not using the internet, the battery goes down much faster than it does at home where I have just GPRS.

This suggests that the phone does transfer data, sporadically when I am not watching it, and yes HSPA does draw much more power than 3G or GPRS.

Counsellor
dradel

[ Edited ]

peterh338 wrote:

That is unbelievable.

A phone which is turned off (with the bottom RH button) doesn't do anything at all.

If true, this is outrageous. I personally, would call that state: "off" not "standby".

peterh338 wrote:

On the FP1 v. FP2, it was with FP2 that the battery started to really go down. But I am not 100% sure it is FP2 related.

Thanks for that. I know it's subjective, but should I upgrade from FP1 to FP2 on the 700?

Mobile Overlord
farby

If THIS is what is called 'Standby' then does it matter whether its on GSM or 3G or whatever other networks ..???

Sage
peterh338

[ Edited ]

"should I upgrade from FP1 to FP2 on the 700?"

Personally I would because there are very significant improvements e.g. excellent predictive text behaviour in Messages (SMS).

During my tests (described on this forum) I have got an FP2 N700 to easily last a day with the battery hardly down at all, at home and at work.

It remains possible that the post-FP2 high power usage is a transient issue, perhaps to do with Nokia Maps (even when Maps Improvement is OFF). Very hard to say. Obviously Nokia know what their software is doing but they are not talking.

It certainly appears wise to kill those four processes I listed, with AppStop or whatever, and make a general effort to kill the Maps process which tends to stay running even after Maps is terminated. They don't seem to do anything useful on the phone.

I am waiting for Nokia to fix the 808 hardware problem with HSPA crashing it. It looks like the whole stock has got it, but the UK ones can't be fixed because they are all grey imports :smileyhappy: But no doubt that will have a similar issue.

"If THIS is what is called 'Standby' then does it matter whether its on GSM or 3G or whatever other networks ..???"

One would think not.

Can anyone verify their calendar (i.e. calendar generated alarms) work when the phone is OFF? Obviously the clock continues to run (the phone would be kind of useless otherwise :smileywink: ) but that is not the same thing as generating alarms according to each alarm's configuration e.g. 15 mins before time, etc.

Mobile Sensei
paulheu

peterh338 wrote:

That is unbelievable.

OK I can believe it then lasts a few weeks. That is certainly what I have found. But it is OFF..

Point is, and you seem to miss it, that the phone is _NOT_ off but in a sleep/standby mode. If the phone is off it would not be possible for it to either charge or wake up when the set alarm time comes around.

This is one of the most misunderstood features about older Nokia phones. That they actually never are truly off unless the battery gets pulled.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Counsellor
dradel

peterh338 wrote:

"should I upgrade from FP1 to FP2 on the 700?"

Personally I would because there are very significant improvements e.g. excellent predictive text behaviour in Messages (SMS).

During my tests (described on this forum) I have got an FP2 N700 to easily last a day with the battery hardly down at all, at home and at work.

Thanks heaps for that. :-)

Counsellor
dradel

paulheu wrote:

peterh338 wrote:

That is unbelievable.

OK I can believe it then lasts a few weeks. That is certainly what I have found. But it is OFF..

Point is, and you seem to miss it, that the phone is _NOT_ off but in a sleep/standby mode. If the phone is off it would not be possible for it to either charge or wake up when the set alarm time comes around.

This is one of the most misunderstood features about older Nokia phones. That they actually never are truly off unless the battery gets pulled.

But in that mode, it's not really being a 'phone'. The red button on my Nokia 700 phone calls that option "Switch off". It is not called "standby" or "sleep". It can't receive phone calls or texts when it's switched off.

Sage
peterh338

Another N700 Belle FP2 test today...

This is in a HSPA area, strong signal. Maps Improvement = OFF.

All four aforementioned processes killed, same for Map process (which was running previously, following an exit from the Maps app).

The battery indicator has not gone down at all over 14hrs...

So the availability of HSPA alone is not a cause for the short battery life. I think it is one of those five processes, possibly combined with HSPA availability.

To see which one of the five it is is going to take too long to narrow down, because I don't get HSPA much.

However since I rarely switch off the phone, killing those five is not a big deal.

"But in that mode, it's not really being a 'phone'. The red button on my Nokia 700 phone calls that option "Switch off". It is not called "standby" or "sleep". It can't receive phone calls or texts when it's switched off."

Exactly. I don't think anybody would regard "standby" time as anything other than the phone sitting there not being used, but accepting phone calls.

Very few smartphones are capable of accepting calls for more than 24-48hrs.

Sage
peterh338

Another test today...

I think I have found out why the Maps app (which remains running as a background process even after it has been "terminated") runs down the battery - but only sometimes.

The answer is that if you start it up (I mean just Maps, not Drive) and run it for long enough to obtain a GPS fix, and then Exit from it, the background process opens up and keeps open the mobile data connection. It is uploading or downloading something... and it runs for tens of minutes afterwards.

If the mobile data connection is HSPA ("3.5G") that uses a lot of battery power.

Killing the Maps process (with AppStop, etc) closes that mobile data connection about 20 seconds later.

I suspect that if the mobile data connection is unavailable, or is GPRS or 3G, there isn't much of a hit on the battery. Since HSPA is far from universal, this would explain why some people get a poor battery life.

Nokia 700, Belle, FP2

Counsellor
dradel

Hi Peter,

I did the upgrade to FP2, and (except for the lighter-grey Evolve theme) I am really liking it so far. I use AppStop also.

Thanks.
Sage
peterh338

I like FP2 also. Lots of little improvements.