Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How to clean up my phone memory..nokia 5230

Contributor
cooldj

How to clean up my phone memory..nokia 5230

Hai,
my 5230 is working fine except that its phone memory is gradually getting used up by its own.. I am not using the phone mem for any storage. Still the memory is as low as 20mb. Please suggest me a way to clean up my phone memory without losing my personal data and settings..
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: How to clean up my phone memory..nokia 5230

@cooldj

Welcome to the forum!

One method would be to carry out backup to memory card, go to Menu > Applications > Office > File mgr. > Backup and then remove memory card from device. Reset 5230 by keying in *#7370# followed by 12345 (default Nokia lock code unless altered by yourself) then replace memory card and restore categories as required; I am assuming that you haven't password protected memory card here.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

prior to a hard reset I would try clearing use cache in your browser , in browser chose options clear privacy data , clear all . This may give you enough space to let the phone work quicker . A hard reset will give maximum free space on C but involves a lot of work , also I would back up contacts , calendar and notes only , then set up the phone manually , just installing what I really needed and installing anything I could on E or F to maximize space on C , as backup and restore will in effect set up the handset as it was prior to reset ! Also set your messages to be stored on memory card not phone memory , in messaging , options settings other . Good Luck

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cooldj

Hi..thanx for the quick response.. but what will happen to the ringtone settings, contact groups, accesspoint settings and other settings on hard reset. Can this be fixed by a soft reset? Is there something called a soft reset??
How exactly can i back up all the above listed items without a laptop..??pls help...
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cooldj

Ahh.. one more thing... is this backup function backing up files to the mem card? then how can i restore everything?? Where shoukd i search for the options for the same??
Am sorry for being so ignorant on this issue.. please help me out of this fix....
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Personally, I would backup the phone using Ovi Suite on a PC, everything on the Phone memory C is removed except the operating system, it will make the phone like it was when it came out of the box, Anything on your memory card will be unaffected. You will however have to set the phone back up again, IE set up your profiles, home screen etc, but you'll have the maximum memory available ! Try simply clearing cache and setting your messages to save to E/F first and see if you have enough space. As I mentioned before, if you do a full backup then restore, you will put everything back where it was, so may not get the full benefit of your efforts. Most things can be installed on your memory card instead of on the phones memory, so setting up the phone manually lets you chose, some software, mainly Nokia/Ovi will only install on C phone memory, so you need to install everything you can to F memory card, also only install things you REALLY need and want to use.

Good Luck

Please use plain text.
429_1

Install net qin mobile gaurd on ur nokia 5230 memory card after that select clean spam n remove it after cleaning spam or junk files it will automatically removes junk files frm memory card nd phone memory after use these software uninstall it or remove it bcz it use ram memory so much if this was help full plzz hit star button
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cooldj

Hai all.. i tried the cache clear trick which fetched me about 5mb space.. so happy for the time being... thanks to all your support.. the netqin seems to be a mess..its gained only 300kb and it rendered my nokia mail email faulty... my nokia email is nit working and i am in deep trouble now....
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

YOU DO NOT NEED ANY VIRUS SECURITY ON A SYMBIAN PHONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE ARE NO VIRUSES FOR SYMBIAN !!!!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cooldj

Okay boss.. i uninstalled netqin... and presently my probles is with nokia email.. any solution to get it working again..
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cooldj

discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Messaging-Email-and-Browsing/Nokia-email-not-working/td-p/1005477
Please use plain text.
429_1

its have a simple solution just hard reset ur phone i recently reseted  my phone, it free up my phone memory frm 25mb to 59mb  but dnt forget to backup ur contacts or important files.  code is

*#7370# but dnt forget to back your important data it will restore orignal phone setting and whole data in c drive will be lost...

be careful!!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
poullykke

I had the same problem, only 100 kb memory back.
As I use the nokia email much, I went into the program settings, and chose the nokia email, and click on Delete.
It said that the nokia email fill 1 mb, but when I chek the memory after removing nokia email, it appeared that I had 50 mb free memory.
I installed again nokia email, and it's only 1 mb, so now I have 49 mb free memory.

I know that its a late response, but I think others can use theese information.

Kind regards from

Denmark

poullykke

Please use plain text.
avicena_bosnia

But, for God's sake, 'carman58', we are not children. Of course that we install software on memory card, and if I want to 'install things I REALLY need and want to use' I must try it first. That means I must install it!!! And if I don't need it, I remove it. But guess what, I lost memory. Now, can I get my memory back? That is the question! And the second question: can I get it back without reseting, formating, losing (call it whatever you want) the software I REALLY need and want to use?!? And, in the future, how can I try new software without these problems?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
haveproblem

*#7370# 

this code will remove my data? like messgees or contacts? 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

haveproblem wrote:

*#7370# 

this code will remove my data? like messages or contacts? 

Above code or three key depressed power on reset will remove ALL user data from device!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hall_damien

Is there a way to clear the browser cache without being able to go into the browser?  My 'phone apparently has so little memory that it won't let me browse, so I can't get into the browser to go to Options > Clear privacy data, etc!

Thanks a lot!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@hall_damien

Can only suggest after backup of essential data to carry out a "hard reset" by keeping these three keys red, green and camera depressed whilst powering on until you see the Nokia "Shaking hands" and device will be returned to "out of the box" condition.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
prashant143

how could you give foolish suggession , i lost my all contact ,messages , how could i restore all these , i made backup , plzz help...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Did you use the Nokia Suite for taking Back-up ? If so once again connect the phone to PC and in Nokia Suite go to Tools -- >Restore .. 

Without trying the above how could you blame someone ? 

Please use plain text.