Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: How to deal with an N8 with purple tint screen...

Contributor
Cyclone82

How to deal with an N8 with purple tint screen fault in Australia?

[ Edited ]

Hi, I finally bought a N8 and receved it yesterday after wanting to get one for a year now. I had always held back as I was hoping they would sort the purple screen issue out. I specifically wanted to buy a phone from a proper Australian dealer as I wanted it to be A tick and have 24months warrenty. First thing I did when I got the phone was charge it, turn it on to the analogue clock screen saver, lock the screen and then press the menu/home key. There it was, half the clock was purple!:smileysad: So I was sure I had the fault I was hoping not to get. I was gutted/disappointed. I really thought it could not happen to me. I have not even put my sim card in, used the phone or removed the protective shipping stickers yet

I do not know how to tell the age/build date of my N8 but when I ordered it last week, the dealer was out of stock and had to get new stock In from Nokia in Brisbane I believe. The box/packing looked the same as what I had seen 12 months ago. The phone did not have Anna on it. I do know that the latest N8 from Hong Kong are shipping in newer packaging that show the pink coloured N8 on the box.

I spoke to the shop today and they said this was the first time they had heard of this purple screen issue and that they have had no one else mention it to them. I could not believe it as this is a world wide spread issue. They rang Nokia in Brisbane and Nokia supposedly knew nothing about the ‘faulty purple screen’ issue. So they are either denying it and there is this huge cover up or they have honestly never heard of it.

Since the shop said it was news to them, maybe that’s a good thing and I got 1 in 100 faulty one or something. I know this shop has sold about 37 on ebay plus more from their online shop and retail shop too, so if what they are saying is right, then all those buyers must be happy. I actually bought it from their online store and not on ebay. It gives me hope that mine may have been a one off, but i doubt it.

So I am trying to work out what to do. I think I have every right to get the phone swapped for a new one. Its definitely faulty but what do I do if they send it to Nokia in Brisbane and they say its fine?

-What I want to know is how have other Australian buyers delt with the faulty screen issue here?

- Has Nokia Australia officially acknowelged the problem? has anyone made them aware of it?

- Are there any known online shops in Australia selling good nokia N8’s with known good screens?

- Has anyone had a screen replaced with a good one recently? I believe there is a new one with part number MP40 that fixes the purple tint screen, but i have only hear of people in europe getting this screen.

I specifically want to know information and experiences and opinions from Australian N8 buyers and owners who have bought a N8 with pruple screen fault in Australia.

Thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Cyclone82

Re: How to deal with an N8 with purple tint screen fault in Australia?

So no one else in Australia has a faulty N8 screen?????????///

Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

Sounds like it's an old one doesn't it, one would hope they aren't still shipping phones with that fault.

Try checking your Firmware with *#0000# to see how old it is.

As it "has" been a known issue for about 12 months and your phone is new I'd take it back and ask for a new one, there claiming not to know about it is really quite insulting.

Having said that, the degree of tint does vary, if you search you will be able to find a test pattern that @buzzx posted which will shown how much tint you have and may help convincing the store.

I have the fault as well but don't really notice it especially now with Anna and I use the Sleeping Screen so the default clock isn't there reminding me of the fault all the time. Just checked and the Screen saver clock is much better with Anna.

I you watch a lot of movies on the phone though it may be an issue.

Hope you get it resolved, the N8 really is a brilliant phone and Belle should be here soon, though if Anna is anything to go by you boys across the ditch may have to wait a while.

N95 (RM159) V31.0.017, N8 (RM596) Belle 111.040.1511
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Cyclone82

Hi, I returned my phone to the shop and spoke to them today. They spoke with Nokia Australia and Nokia is refusing to acknowledge the problem. They also did not say they could swap to the good MP 40 screens. They will not swap screens with this purple fault inside warrenty period as they are saying there is no fault. At least the phone shop was sympathetic about it  and could see the problems and the store owner said his N8 showed little to no purple on the clock but did show some in the test image but said it was not too noticeable. He suggested that they just refund me as he said there is a chance even if they send out a new one that its got the same tint and could even be worser. Right now i am very angry with Nokia and am not sure what to do and how i could find a good one. I said i would think about it over the weekend.

So i am not sure if i should just try and get a newer version with Anna pre-installed direct from Hong Kong? This i assume would only have 12months warrenty and not be a A tick phone for Australia. I wonder what the differences would be beteen a Australian sold N8 and one i import myself? I might start a new topic on that. thanks for your reply anyway.

Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

Hmmm, interesting response from Nokia. They seem to believe that if they refuse to acknowledge the issue it will go away. I've seen a couple of long time forum members who have gone away because of their attitude.
However as I said, depending on the severity of the tint and your use of the phone it's either a non issue or a real pain.
If your supplier will agree, seeing as they acknowledge the problem, try using the phone for a couple of weeks. Instal Anna Anna and sleeping screen though as well as the beta labs camera update.
Good luck.
N95 (RM159) V31.0.017, N8 (RM596) Belle 111.040.1511
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

If Nokia Australia still refuse to acknowledge the purple tint issue then you can refer them to the following statement from Nokia.

/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/N8-C7-PURPLE-SCREEN-ISSUE-AND-HOW-TO-SPOT-IF-YOU-HAVE-IT-PLEASE/...

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
iwaress

Right now i am very angry with Nokia and am not sure what to do and how i could find a good one. I said i would think about it over the weekend.

Please use plain text.
Employee
auslander

Hi Cyclone82

You can visit a Nokia Care Centre where they will evaluate your N8-00 and replace the LCD if needed. See http://www.nokia.com/au-en/support/contact/care-point-finder for your nearest branch.

Alternatively you can send it from your nearest post office with Nokia Care Direct http://www.nokia.com/au-en/support/troubleshooting/nokia-care-direct

Hope that helps

Auslander

All opinions expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily represent the official view of Nokia.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Cyclone82

[ Edited ]

Well i bought this N8 from a shop in Queensland by mail order. I am in SA. Currently the phone with them. They have said they would prefer to refund me than supply a new one as the tint may be the same or worse. Nearest Nokia care is over an hour from me. I should not have to go through this BS with a brand new one faulty from new.

The shop who has my phone, can see the problem, they spoke with either Nokia in Brisbane or Nokia Australia i am not sure which one and Nokia pretty much in their own way said, there is no problem with N8 screens, we are not replacing screens with the so called purple tint under warrenty, you can not ask for a MP40 screen to be fitted, go away, end of story.

I am not getting the phone sent back to me and then sending it off again.

From what i heard Nokia care dont exactly take 'care' with your phone either. lots of complaints of butchered screws, scratches, dirt under screens etc.

I already contacted Mobi citi  (another store) where ever they are, and they do have A tick and 24 month warrenty N8's but they said they are still in the same old packaging and not in the new packaging with the picture of the pink N8 on the box. I thought i may try and get one of those as that new batch may have better screens?

So i am back to deciding if i should get the refund for the phone or get them to send me a new one or try buy one from elsewhere in Australia. or maybe get a hong kong import but they will only have 12 months warrenty and i am not sure if they are the same internally and will be able to get the right updates from nokia Ovi suite australia. I would like the right handset for australia so i can get the right updates. That is why i am reluctant to try one from HK.

Are there any online retailers in Australia where people have got a N8 with a good screen from?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
fetmelter

Maybe my story can help as a reference to Australian Shops / Nokia Care centers that resist to acknowledge the problem.

Solution: I paid myself a display update at NCC.

If my phone was to fall under local Nokia warranty, they would probably have replaced it for free.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got myself a second hand Black N8 Made in Finland

(after testing the N9 I got into virtual keyboards but wanted something more "durable"and less slippery for everyday use and with a camera shutter button)

Noticed the purple screen, purple area's in B&W pictures, the purple blur in dark and grey area's when watching films etc.. Unacceptable.

In Vietnam it is easy to compare screens so I went into the street, did compare screens of about 3 second hand devices "Made in China" : all purple, some even worse than mine.

Comparison done by watching same grey shade testing image in photo application, which I bluetoothed to the respective devices. (thank you Nokia for not needing an "app" for this "advanced feature")

Checked one new device in shop: Purple of course.

Took my device to a Nokia care centre a little bit out of  town centre, where the people have a lot of time to listen and provide service:

Showed a testing image, explained the movie issue, told them the issue is much worse in dark conditions... I was transferred to the counter of a technical lady. Did the explanation again. Told her I wanted the problem solved and the problem can be solved by replacing current display by an MP40 one.

No denial, no discussion. They grabbed the phone confirmed the display to be available, unfortunately I would have to pay because the phone wasn't originally sold in Vietnam.

No problem. I forked out 2 million VND and 2 hours later I was walking around with a warm colored display that looks better than the only good device I could compare mine with: initial batch 10/2010 Russian market N8 made in Finland device with no purple issue.

There is now also 12 months warranty seal on my phone.

Since i paid for the screen I asked to take home the old one which I received nicely packed together with my device.

Total cost: less than a new purple Nokia N8 :smileyvery-happy:

Enjoying my high end N8, sadly again needing more nursing than I expected after freeing myself from the fragile N9.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Cyclone82

Well i have got my refund and back to square one. I am going to try another one i think from a place in sydney. Again, they say they have had no complaints of purple screens.

The problem for me is that i would have to mail my phone to a NCC and request a MP 40 scrreen but since i am not there with them, how do i really know they would put a MP40 in?

Are the made in Finland N8s better than made in China? Shouldn't they all be made to the same standards/quality controls?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
fetmelter

Hello, I suggest you use some friendly telephone conversation skills to talk somebody technical that does not go “what?” on hearing N8, purple and MP40 in on sentence. -are they aware of the problem -since you are aware your screen is purple, if you send in the device will they change your screen unconditionally under warranty? -if not what will be the criteria to judge the purpleness? (could they send you a link or test image) -will they call you to let you decide to pay for an “upgrade” ? -who did you talk to, can they put conclusion of the conversation in your case file and fwd you the details? China vs Finland: Quality wise I don’t think any difference here. Only the resale value of Finland one will be slightly higher in certain locations where a majority of the devices is China made. However the early Russian market Made in Finland device has a more blue tint (and worse color calibration) than the latest upgrade I got in Vietnam (more yellow) Asia vs Europe means yellow whites vs blue whites. Coincidence due to different screen versions or…?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
fetmelter

Hello, I suggest you use some friendly telephone conversation skills to talk somebody technical that does not go “what?” on hearing N8, purple and MP40 in on sentence.

-are they aware of the problem

-since you are aware your screen is purple, if you send in the device will they change your screen unconditionally under warranty?

-if not what will be the criteria to judge the purpleness? (could they send you a link or test image)

-will they call you to let you decide to pay for an “upgrade” ?

-who did you talk to, can they put conclusion of the conversation in your case file and fwd you the details?

China vs Finland: Quality wise I don’t think any difference here.

Only the resale value of Finland one will be slightly higher in certain locations where a majority of the devices is China made.

However the early Russian market Made in Finland device has a more blue tint (and worse color calibration) than the latest upgrade I got in Vietnam (more yellow) Asia vs Europe means yellow whites vs blue whites.

Coincidence due to different screen versions or…?

Sorry I post this a second time for readability after the layout got messed up in first post (which was 2nd try via copy / paste in fact after the page crashed on posting, grrrr).

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Screen in my N8 was replaced TWO times in Nokia Care Point and it still has purple tint. I have seen four other N8's and half of them have the same issue. If half of the phones have this fault then why Nokia Care Point still don't know how to fix it? What's going on Nokia? This problem is well known from over year!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kanpuriaa

dont worry man you are not the only one in australia who's got faulty phone..i changed my phone 5 times and i live in melbounre i changed it 2 times from dicksmith and then i returned my money back and then 3 time i bought this from from nokia store in city and guess what?i still had the same problem from even i bought my phone from original nokia store and then 4th one i bought it from telstra and still had a same issue.and in last i sent my phone to nokia care they changed the screen but still there is a little bit problem but its hardly to notice.good luck with your phone man..!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I found a workaround for this issue: the problem is the brightness.
Lower brightness= purple screen between RGB 10-10-10 to 25-25-25
So i increase the bright. and disable the light sensor with this app: http://store.ovi.com/content/107603 and the purple go away
Please use plain text.