Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: How to get the best performance from GPS of N9...

Advisor
mominnawaz

Re: How to get the best performance from GPS of N95

Yes u right, GPS devices dont transmit, they receive signals, but when using autodownload for maps, its very simple, when tremendous calculations are being done and the gprs and the gps receiver is working together along with the other flip flops, battary issue will remain.
Looking at the Garmin device it has 22 hours of working performance, nokia cant, as its a very low power chip used and the quality is poor, as thats the best technology which nokia could buy from the vendors. in its size, to fit the phone.
the E90 will be much better, as it has a differnt receiver.
Please use plain text.
Sage

What chipset does the N95 gps use ?, I have a stand alone bluetooth one that I use with my N80 and you can put that in the recess under my stereo in my car or on the floor and it still works just fine.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
mominnawaz

It uses the SIRF STAR II chipset which has a cold start and poor signal reception.
Lets wait and see when nokia can come up with the SIRF STAR III chipset, as thats a lot better.

cheers
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Yes but the STAR III is very power hungry compared to the STAR II, the battery would go flat much faster.
Please use plain text.
Sage

They need to develop a phone that uses a decent battery technology as soon its going to get so bad with all the extra bells and whistles that your going to have to carry 3 or 4 batteries around you to get you through the day,which is ridiculous when my old 8310 used to last a week even when using it.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Downloaded new firmware 11.0.026 now and this solved a lot of the timewaiting for GPS......and batt cap as well..... so go get your guns out!
Please use plain text.
Advisor

oooh new firmware? i'll go and look for it now :smileyhappy:

its time to try and get quicker lock on time !

usually its 10 mins :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Sage

Ten mins is shocking, I have a bluetooth gps with sirf star 3 chipset that I bought off ebay for £39 it gets a lock in under a min and also has a battery that will let it run for about 14 hours straight, and the stupid thing is the battery is smaller than my N95 battery so it shows you with all the big screen ect it certainly increases its power consumption.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Is it right that I cannot upgrade to this improved firmware if I have an Orange branded phone.

If so can I legally debrand my phone?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
richcowell

Yes, it's true, at the moment there is no update for the Orange variant firmware, but there will be at some point.

No, there is no way of legally debranding your phone, and attempts to do so may invalidate your warranty, so it's not worth the risk.

p.s. you should have posted this in the topic re. the firmware update, this topic is about the GPS.
Nokia History: 3110, 5110, 7110, 7110, 3510i, 6210, 6310i, 5210, 6100, 6610, 7250, 7250i, 6650, 6230, 6230i, 6260, N70, N70, 5300, N95, N95, E71, E72
Android History: HTC Desire, SE Xperia Arc, HTC Sensation, Sensation XE, One X+, Google Nexus 5
Please use plain text.
Sage

Its not illegal to debrand your phone, its just your warranty wont be valid any more if you do thats all, so if your phone breaks you'll have to pay to have it fixed.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Can i just make sure that no one here on Vodafone has any updates ?
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)

Can we plaes keep this on Topic. If you wish to disscuss Firmware then please do this in the Software Updater Boards
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mattyj

Ok I'm confused. I got my N95 the other day, and I've now purchased the maps service, how do I download them to my phone? I went to www.smart2go.com, but the N95 isn't on their supported handset list. I tried downloading the N93 software, but the installation fails when it gets to my handset.

Any ideas? I was hoping to get this sorted tonight!

Thanks, Matt
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
edwardquan

03-May-200711:34 PM
mattyj wrote:
Ok I'm confused. I got my N95 the other day, and I've now purchased the maps service, how do I download them to my phone? I went to www.smart2go.com, but the N95 isn't on their supported handset list. I tried downloading the N93 software, but the installation fails when it gets to my handset.

Thanks, Matt

Download the MapLoader PC application from here :

http://www.smart2go.com/en/help/maploader

Install the program, and then connect your phone to your PC using the USB cable provided.

Then load MapLoader and follow the instructions provided.

Hope this helps.
Regards,

Edward
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mattyj

04-May-200712:23 AM
edwardquan wrote:

03-May-200711:34 PM
mattyj wrote:

Thanks, Matt

Download the MapLoader PC application from here :

http://www.smart2go.com/en/help/maploader

Install the program, and then connect your phone to your PC using the USB cable provided.

Then load MapLoader and follow the instructions provided.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but I downloaded that bit, and connect using mass storage mode, but maploader doesn't pick up the N95. Xp has it on there as a mass storage device. There doesn't seem to be anywhere that I can test the connection on the MapLoader software?
Please use plain text.
Contributor

what do you do when you have paid to upgraid to voice navigation and the licence key provided is invalid and will not work

Openbit support are not responding to any of my emails sent, one everyday for the last week.

Is there a number i could call them on?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Have a hunt around and read my lengthy post on this subject, it gives you details of who to contact. Basically you have to contact the CEO of Openbit, Arto Lehtonen. It does work for sorting out the Sat Nav licence problem.

Good Luck, it is very frustrating and very unsatisfactory isn't it!

H
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

One of the main problems with the GPS is that Nokia chose to install an inferior chip. They should have installed the SiRFstarIII GSC3e/LP & GSC3f/LP which is pretty much the best on the market. The military uses them. I have a Garmin GPS MAP60 CSx and it has this chipset inside. I get a lock on in about 30 seconds from anywhere. The second problem is that someone, obviously not a GPS engineer, convinced someone else that putting the antennae in the bottom was a good idea. Only one word comes to mind: STUPID. Hopefully future software upgrades can improve upon the sensitivity of the antenna but other than this, there is not much else to. I have found that if I stand stationary and try to acquire a lock, this is much faster than trying to lock while on the move.

Nokia, if you are listening, you made a design error. I am sure it will be changed in the N95i.

Show the KUDOS button some love.... Hit that bad boy.... It don't hurt....

Apple iPhone 5,
Retina MacBook Pro, iPad Mini, Nikon D4

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mominnawaz

I dis agree with your words, about the SIRF star 3 yes thats the best in the market but again it will not solve the battary issue.
About the design error, no i dont agree that. As nokia has one of the most highly qualified people working on each aspect with extensive design testing.
If they would change the antenna place the phone would look ugly.

Nokia Team Cheers, Uve done a excellent job, except for the GPS Sirf star 2 but im sure there must be some techincal aspects which nokia didnt use the new chipset.

Cheers.

M
Please use plain text.