Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How to use Nokia N8 with PC Suite 7.1.30.9 (appare...

Professor
Mike_Myers_N8
Accepted Solution

How to use Nokia N8 with PC Suite 7.1.30.9 (apparently compatible)

[ Edited ]

The N8 is supposed to be used with OVI Suite, but if possible, I'd also like to be able to use it with PC Suite.  The latest version of PC Suite won't allow this (not compatible) but an older version seems to accept the N8.

I saw in a discussion at Nokia Beta Labs that I can also install a late version of PC Suite. It's 32.2 megs in size.  

(The newer versions of PC Suite install on my computer, but tell me to use OVI Suite for my N8.)

With the version I downloaded from hotshare installed, PC Suite recognized my N8.  It also displayed a message saying PC Suite must be updated to support new features, and told me to click on "help" and then the update link.  I did that, and the next message was "Do you want to install PC Suite on your mobile phone (N8-00)?"   At this point I hesitated.

Has anyone done this, and will doing so allow PC Suite to work better with the N8?  What are the new features that the update is trying to support?  If they're not something I need, maybe I'll just stop where I am.

Any advice?

Moderator note: (Nokia only allows official download site such as Ovi store).

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: How to use Nokia N8 with PC Suite 7.1.30.9 (apparently compatible)

Can't remember sequence of updating but if it goes to v7.1.60.0 you will certainly get "Connected device is not supported" unfortunately!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
slowfiddler

If it works then don't tinker with it. I am using 7.1.30.9 and I ignore its requests to be updated.

I think I have asked this before: does anyone have experience with Oxygen Phone Manager?

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

I've found out that if the PC version gets updated, it no longer works.  So, it's un-install PC Suite, and then re-install the version that is working now.

...but, the message I get says "Do you want to install PC Suite on your mobile phone (N8-00)?"  

I haven't yet done this, but it sure sounds like PC Suite on the PC is happy with the N8, and it just wants to put software on the N8. 

I can hang onto the OVI Suite for when/if I need to add more maps, but from what I've read, PC Suite is a simpler, faster, and safer way to sync contacts.  I don't mind having both available.

My question really is just whether to allow PC Suite to install the support software on my N8?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Presumably it wants to add such as MMSSync and Contacts Group DS Plugin?

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

That's very likely the case.  I highly doubt it would do something that would break anything - but on the N8, I don't know how to "un-do" something like this.

Since this version of PC Suite seems to be compatible with the N8, there doesn't seem to be any valid reason for Nokia "forcing us" to use OVI Suite.  Personally, I'd just like the choice of using whichever I prefer, based on what I want to do.

If I go ahead and let it update the phone, will it tell me what it's going to do before doing it?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

After installing version of PC Suite that you suggested there were no prompts to install anything on N8 and here is screenshot of N8 connected:

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Whatever it is that my PC Suite wants to have installed, apparently your phone already has it.  At any rate, this is very good news.  Thanks! 

If I knew more about the N8, maybe I'd  be more inquisitive, but other than doing backups, I'm not sure how to make sure that if I don't like some results, I can un-do them.

I'm also back to wondering why Nokia is now "forcing" people to use OVI Suite, when there's a version of PC Suite that may be more desirable for some people.  So many people in the beta labs forum are asking this (and complaining).  I'm quite pleased that there's a "back door" that accomplishes what we want!  :-)  

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Pipould

+10... PC suite is light and easy to handle if you don't need to do much when you connect your phone on your pc...

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Step #1 - getting things working.

Information on how to get the older version of PC Suite working on a Nokia N8 from "Jerm":

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96725

It seems that Ovi Suite doesn't play nice with Outlook 2010 (nothing new with OVI Suite), often giving the error 80043c93 when trying to sync contacts/calendar to the phone/Outlook during conflict resolution.

PC Suite 7.1.50 doesn't really work either, giving an error that "this phone is not supported". After trawling around the interwebs and nokia forums, i've come to a workaround that enables you to sync your phone's calendar and contacts (among others) to Outlook, with some caveats.

1. Install PC Suite 7.1.50.xx (the latest version available)
2. Install OVI Suite that came with the N8
3. Remove PC Suite 7.1.50.xx
4. Do not restart if asked
5. Install PC Suite 7.1.30.9
6. Run PC Suite, complete phone install, pairing
7. Set up Sync

This works wonderfully, as i now have a fully populated Calendar, and my Contacts are all in sync.

The caveats i spoke of however are:
1. In PC Suite, you won't be able to see your calendar entries (rest assured, they're still there)
2. Version 7.1.30.9 may not play nice with Windows 7 (i'm using XP SP3)

All in all, if you truly need the sync, you can follow what i did above, it works for me, for some others, and likely will work for you too.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Step #2 - Update to the latest version that still works with the N8, and also with Windows 7:

Download 7.1.40.6 PC Suite:

http://cid-3deabc5c7f57077b.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Nokia%5E_PC%5E_Suite%5E_7%5E_1%5E_40%5...

=================================================================

Reference - Nokia PC Suite Version History

Product

Date Added

Nokia PC Suite 7.1.60

January 18, 2011

Nokia PC Suite 7.1.51

June 24, 2010

Nokia PC Suite 7.1.50.2

June 11, 2010

Nokia PC Suite 7.1.40.6

March 30, 2010

Nokia PC Suite 7.1.40.1

November 17, 2009

Nokia PC Suite 7.1.30.9

July 2, 2009

Nokia PC Suite 7.1.30.8

June 25, 2009

Nokia PC Suite 7.1.26.0

April 21, 2009

Nokia PC Suite 7.1.18.0

December 15, 2008

Please use plain text.
Professor

@Mike_Myers_N8

I also often wonder why we are forced to use Ovi Suite, over PC Suite.

I don't like the way that Ovi Suite takes up the whole computer screen or the fact that it wants to constantly sync things.

I want to decide what I sync and what I don't (which to be honest, I don't want to sync anything!) etc etc.

Maybe someone from Nokia could enlighten us because PC Suite did everything I wanted without having to take over my PC or my phone!

History: Always Nokia since 1994 including Nokia 2140, 7110e, 6150, 6210, 6310i, 6230i, N82
Current: Nokia N8 (Anna - I have no intention of going to Belle) - and delighted with it!
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Doing things as described above, using 7.1.40.6 my calendar function on PC Suite adds things to the "Personal" calendar on my N8. Anyone know if this is what it's supposed to do? All seems to be fine so far, and I don't think I really need multiple calendars.

When I get everything else working, I'll try to get 'sync' to do what I want it to do.

Maybe someone here can offer some advice. I don't really want all my PC contacts to show up on my phone, so I was thinking of creating a new .pst file just for the phone contacts. Then I read that PC Suite can sync with a folder within my Outlook contacts. Is it true that I can create a folder named N8, and all my contacts on the phone and this one folder ONLY will be kept in sync? That would be great if it actually does that. Reading through the help files on 'sync' for 7.1.40.6 I think this will work....
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Good reading, and more people finding the way to get around Nokia's silly idea of forcing us to use OVI Suite:

/t5/PC-and-Mac-Software/PC-Suite-amp-E7/td-p/927229

Tangerine - there is no way any tech person at Nokia could ever feel that OVI Suite is good for us - maybe for teenagers, or iphone addicts, but not serious users. So, it must be that some "higher up" person in the organization is forcing the tech guys to go along with their misguided ideas. Until Nokia wakes up to this, we're stuck.....

BUT....

We seem to have figured out a perfectly good answer. If enough people download and post copies of 7.1.40.6 we should all be fine (unless Nokia gets angry, sees what we're doing, and tries to prevent it in a future firmware update).

Maybe the real answer is to find someone who can work with the source code, and fix things on our own - people can 'root' the phone just like with other OS and make it work the way we want it to.

It's impossible that Nokia isn't aware of the negative impact they are causing by this silly decision, but obviously the people in charge don't care. I guess they want to build a phone just as limited as the present Windows 7 phones, instead of something as powerful as the N8.

Anyway, sorry for going on and on, but I've got a feeling we have our "fix" for the problem.

(I'll keep my copy of the beta labs version of OVI Suite, so I can update maps, but I expect to do just about everything else in the older version of PC Suite.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Mike_Myers_N8 wrote:

I'll keep my copy of the beta labs version of OVI Suite, so I can update maps,

Fortunately those days are over with "Update" within application via WLAN connection upon N8!

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Bingo! Good thinking. I set up all my 'map' and 'navigation' from the PC all in one morning, then updated to the Beta version, so I'm now on the latest.

I guess any new maps I add can be done directly from the phone. Does the fact that I'm running the Beta version of the map software have any effect on how I should now do updates?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Mike_Myers_N8 wrote:
Does the fact that I'm running the Beta version of the map software have any effect on how I should now do updates?

Just so we're not talking at cross purposes, are you referring to latest pre-release v3.07 11wk15b01 from Nokia Beta Labs where for some OVI Maps  "Update" feature has ceased working with this version?

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

I'm not really sure. I installed the standard maps and software, then updated as much as possible. Then I went to Beta Labs, and downloaded their latest software, which I think meant something had to be updated in the maps. It's all up and running now.

I wasn't aware of any recent problems with the update feature, and I'm not aware of any updates to the maps at Beta Labs for the past few weeks. If anything has changed recently, I'll need to check that out.

What I meant by my question, is now that I'm running the Beta Labs version, can I still do "updates" from the regular map utility in OVI? I assume I can't, as it only knows about the official version, not the Beta Labs version...

I didn't know there was a problem like you noted. If Beta Labs has recently (last couple of weeks) updated things again, I wasn't aware of this. I have
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Mike_Myers_N8 wrote:
I didn't know there was a problem like you noted. If Beta Labs has recently (last couple of weeks) updated things again, I wasn't aware of this.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

OVI Maps v3.07 pre-release came out yesterday using existing 00.02.42.122 mapping, but suggest you read "bug reports" if thinking of utilising:

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Will do.  Right now things work pretty well.  I don't want to lose what I've got, in order to get something that isn't very different - but I'll do as you suggest, and read up on it.

That's why I haven't updated the firmware on the phone.  PC Suite is telling me "New phone software available.  Phone softwar availale for Nokia N8-Mike.  Click this balloon to proceed.  To update software later, use Software Updater."

I just don't get that warm, fuzzy feeling like I do from Nikon or Microsoft that an update is almost certainly going to be good for me.

Hey, any way to update the title of this discussion to the newer version of PC Suite that works on the N8?  It still says 7.1.30.9 here - should I start a new topic, or continue in this one?

Please use plain text.