Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: I don't understand why Symbian has been killed...

Advisor
miffywiffy

I don't understand why Symbian has been killed off by Nokia.

I recently posted my impressions of the 808 http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=374416 and it has it's problems which means I will not be keeping the phone for very long. However if Nokia continued with Symbian which has far more potential than Windows Phone I'd have been happy with it and would have stuck with the phone knowing there will be more updates. 

Now I've never used Symbian before, unless the 3310 run it, though that was a vastly different experience that you cannot compare. I decided just to give it a chance as the 808 was mega cheap on ebay and I thought what the hell, my upgrade comes in April and I can sell it then if I don't like it. I broke my phone so I needed to buy a new one and it's a bit of fun trying something other than Android or IOS for once. 

I have to say now I'm not a fan of Windows Phone and IOS being closed systems, I think you can remain open like Android while offering a great selection of apps on the store. Developers really need to get over piracy, especially platform owners and the makers of Operating Systems. I feel like there is this trend to go towards a closed OS as an easy way to combat that, rather than offering a great open experience but having a service worth paying for over piracy. For example Steam has really defeated Piracy on the PC, people still do it, they always will and it isn't always a bad thing anyways. A lot of the time people will torrent stuff and then later buy it on Steam when they know it is a product they like. If that person goes on to tell other people about it then it creates more sales. 

From what I've read Symbian has this bad image of piracy but I really think that is due to a lackluster service on Nokia's end more than anything. The store needs a lot of work, while it is functioning, it does need a bit of a UI tweak which obviously wont be happening. I also feel like you have to get your apps elsewhere to test them first as there is no protection from Nokia like you get with Android where you can get a refund within a certain time in case the app doesn't work. I've bought a few apps now which just plain don't work and it has put me off buying anything else.

Back to the topic though, I've never used Symbian before or had a Nokia since the 3310 and I'm really surprised at how good it is. I said in that thread it feels like a mix between IOS and Android and it even has good functionality of it's own. Belle FP2 is either a massive step up far too late or Symbian has gotten a lot of hate for no reason, I don't know as It's the only version I've used. The core functionality is good, it is fast, it doesn't drain much battery and it does everything the other platforms do. Yeah it looks a bit drab but it's so easy to just change the theme unlike IOS and while you can do it on Android it isn't anywhere near as easy as Symbian. I really Respect Nokia for a lot of things with Symbian and while I said the store needs work, it does function. I feel like it probably lacks a lot of options like more categories due to the lack of apps on it. 

I've only really got two problems with Symbian and that is the stock browser is bad, which wouldn't be a problem if Nokia was continuing development of Symbian because they could easily fix it in the future. I have switched to Opera which fixes most of those issues, though I do wish Symbian supported Flash 11 because of my next point. The second issue is lack of apps, really this is what has lead me to selling the phone come my upgrade in April. You cannot do much on the phone compared to the others because of the lack of apps, if there was Flash 11 it would be less of an issue, however not being able to watch stuff like ITV Player or TVcatchup is a big downer. The lack of games is also another depressing thing and really the lack of development on Symbian is depressing. 

From what I've seen of Belle FP2, Symbian is a great starting point for Nokia's Smart Phone future, sadly it looks like it has come too late and they've always ditched it for Windows Phone, which I think is a shame. The other biggest issue Nokia had is they never really made good hardware compared to the rest in the past. They've just started making competitive Smart Phone hardware just as they killed off Symbian. If the Lumia 920 came in 2010 for example I feel like more people would have taken notice of Symbian, sadly it came to Windows Phone and not Symbian. Sadly like I said it looks like it took too long for Symbian to get good... though I'm only guessing on that as I've never used it before Belle FP2. 

I do like it though and really wish'd Nokia stuck with it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
miffywiffy

Re: I don't understand why Symbian has been killed off by Nokia.

I do have to ask though, how do I turn data roaming off? It keeps using roaming data but I cannot find the option anywhere so I've turned data off altogether. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

I think the biggest commercial issue is that the most money in the phone business is made on app sales, and Symbian lost those once the Iphone came along and developers saw unlimited riches developing apps for IOS.

The fact that the vast majority of the apps in the Apple shop are useless trash, and most of the rest are so functionally crippled that one needs to buy several to do a single task, is not the point...

So, how were Nokia going to get app sales?

Symbian could easily be tarted up to work just like IOS. But the app sales were lost for ever, as of about 2010 when most Symbian developers dropped it and worked IOS-only. And a lot closed down completely.

Android was lost to Nokia due to very limited options for product differentiation. So they had to do something else, and WP was the only option.

WP is not a bad option. I have played with WP phones and they work fine. And Micro$oft have the resources to drive it forward.

Piracy is IMHO barely relevant. It affects mostly games - just like on IOS where the vast majority of jailbreaking is done to run games and other trivia. Piracy became big on Symbian once the developer community dropped it en-masse, and what the hell did they expect? Many developers didn't just drop development; they actually took the apps off their websites and out of the Nokia app shop, which is a really stupid business strategy. This stupidity is what has driven piracy. I have had to google for a number of .sis files, to get apps that I would have paid for happily.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Symbian has been put to rest ,its best left that way.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Advisor
miffywiffy

See I don't think Symbian is the problem, Belle is really nice and what Nokia have done is make it function like IOS and Android. I've used both in the past, I left IOS because I found it too restrictive and used Android ever since. Making the jump to Symbian Belle, it's pretty much the same experience but with no apps, though the core Belle experience feels more refined than Android. It probably just came too late for Nokia....

I also think Nokia hasn't made a Smart Phone to get excited for until the 920. Everything else they made was sub par, poor specs, poor screen and just very clunky and I'm guessing from reviews, Symbian wasn't good before Belle. Like I said though if they released the 920 last year on Symbian Belle instead of Windows Phone 8, I think Symbian could have survived. Really all Belle needed was the hardware and it just never got it, the 808 is great for a camera but the hardware isn't mainstream like the 920 is. 

I just find it weird how Nokia handled the whole situation, it took years for them to get going and once they did they retired Symbian and never released it on a relevant Smart Phone to give it a chance.

The 808 has opened my eyes to Nokia Hardware though, it is good and well made. I'll wait to see if they release a refreshed 808 with better specs and screen this year before I upgrade as I've just seen rumours about it. I'm just not convinced about Microsoft making good on Windows Phone, I don't like the experience it currently offers and Microsoft have never delivered on anything worth while in the past apart from Windows 7. If I look at all their software, I don't remember any of it being good and now with Windows Phone being a closed experience, you're stuck with Microsoft's software. 

I just think it is a shame, I really like Belle, it just needs apps and Nokia to revive development for it. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

I too still have a soft spot and did feel great sadness in my heart when it was announced that Nokia was moving to Windows Phone. but that was soon forgotten when I had a chance to play with some Windows Phone devices, and now have a lovely 920 in use as my daily driver. I will always have a soft spot for Symbian, but as the news sources and users can attest to, it was too late to recover. It went out on a high with the 808 PureView, and the Belle Refresh update to the N8, and for me, it will live on in the sunset :smileyhappy:.

But I know that there is nothing more that can be done, and the focus is on other great platforms now such as the Asha Touch lineup and the Windows Phone lineup of Lumia devices :smileyhappy:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

The problem for me with the 920 is that it is HUGE.

And phone shops are packed with HUGE phones.

Samsung make about 1000 different HUGE phones. If you want a big phone, with a 4-core processor, ultra thin, whatever, there are loads of them.

I guess that, for the current "phone season", Nokia have to sell a HUGE phone like everybody else. They missed out on "Star Trek" flip-top phone business which was all the rage 10 years ago and they don't want to miss another big wave like that.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
miffywiffy

The problem I have is Windows Phone is a locked OS, you have to wait for Microsoft to do everything for you.

The potential is gone already, Microsoft does not make good software, it's always just bought out the competition but due to laws these days it's having a hard time staying relevant. The only reason Windows is still so big is down to it being open and all the third party stuff is great.

Symbian is open and so with developer support it could be great. The core experience is almost there, it's pretty much Android but without all the apps. 

Symbian has far more potential than Windows Phone and tbh we need more Operating systems so there is never a monopoly like there has been with IOS and Android. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
carlee12

Don't Worry the Asha Series still SYMBIAN :smileyhappy:
I love T9 Bar Phones | I used to be a Sony Ericson fan before but they leave the low end Phones so I have to switch to Nokia | LG Optimus L5 II and Nokia 206 3
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Asha is S4 != Symbian

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
miffywiffy

I wonder if Nokia will release Windows Phone 7.8 for the 808. It seems a bit bad to release the phone and then kill off Symbian, I'd love to be able to dual boot them.

Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

They won't, the 808 is nearly a year old now and doesn't meet Microsofts hardware specs.

Why would you want to cripple it like that anyway?

N95 (RM159) V31.0.017, N8 (RM596) Belle 111.040.1511
Please use plain text.
Advisor
miffywiffy

Better specs than come of the 7.8 phones, only downside it has is the resolution. 

Please use plain text.
Smotter

I love my Symbian Belle E7. I upgraded to a 620, which I couldn't stand. There's too many features on the E7 which Windows lacks. I flogged the Lumia after 2 weeks, and am back with the E7. As many have said; if only we could have the chance to see how Belle runs on a modern quad core processor .....
If Nokia insists on running all their upnarket hansets on Windows, I'm afraid it will be the sad end of a close to 30 year relationship that began with a 1610 !
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
f_pokrandt

Hi niffywiffy,

there is some information about the rise and fall of Symbian on the Internet (example) that might be interesting to you. Like you, I also can't understand (from a consumer's point of view) why Symbian was killed so quickly and dirtily. It has a great UI (since Belle, Belle FP1 and Belle FP2), terrific hardware support (USB on-the-go that supports USB drives, mice and keyboards, HDMI out, FM radio AND transmitter, analog TV out (PAL or NTSC), etc.) and is really much more open than iOS or WP.

To answer your question regarding data roaming:

Got to: Menu -> Settings -> Connections -> Mobile data counter -> Allow mobile data and select "in home network only".

You can go faster to this menu if you add the mobile data counter widget to your homescreen.

6600 -> N90 -> N95 8GB -> (skipped N97) -> N8 -> N950 -> 808 PureView
Please use plain text.