Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

I own two nokias, one is great, the other s**ks. A...

launcelot

I own two nokias, one is great, the other s**ks. Am i doing something wrong?

Hello everyone, how are you guys doing :smileyhappy:

i have a weird problem here, something i never expected from a Nokia, i've been using nokias since the days of monochrome displays and have generally been satisfied with every nokia i purchased.

About three months back, i purchased two nokias, one for work, and another for speaking with my girlfriend.

The one i use for work is an E7-00, and the one i use for talking to my girl is an N97 (32GB model).

Here's my problem, the E7-00 is excellent--fast, pretty, and the touch is awesome. The N97 on the other hand is really starting to P*** me off. It keeps on crashing every 10 days and i have to do the *#7370# to bring it back to life. Plus, it never gets a GPS fix, i keep both my phones side by side, both using integrated GPS and Assisted GPS as positioning methods, the E7 gets a fix in about 2 minutes, and the N97 keeps displaying "Searching for location" even after 15 minutes.

The E7 has never ever freezed on me, not a single time in these three months, it's rock stable.

I don't install any pirated stuff, and all my apps are downloaded from the ovi store. What's wrong with the N97? I love my E7-00, and i am on the brink of beginning to hate my N97. Is there something I can do to make my N97 as stable as my E7? Thanks

Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: I own two nokias, one is great, the other s**ks. Am i doing something wrong?

@launcelot

You don't mention whether N97 was new or pre-owned and whilst all N97 chronically short of free phone memory early models required a GPS antenna modification.

Presumably you are using this version of OVI Maps upon your N97?

http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/global/phones/software/ovi_maps_installer_3.06_11wk10_b01_s60_5....

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

launcelot

Re: I own two nokias, one is great, the other s**ks. Am i doing something wrong?

[ Edited ]

@

i updated both my phones to the latest software available from nokia software updater application on PC. The E7 runs Belle, and the N97 runs the newest, both are switched off and charging ATM, i'll post the exact version numbers in a while after they are done charging. I'm pretty sure m using the latest software on both though, i updated both, about a month after i purchased em.. :smileysad:

Thanks for your reply :smileyhappy:

Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@launcelot

In case it was not clear from my previous post early N97 models required hardware modification to GPS antenna irrespctive of the software verson installed, as was almost imossible to obtain positional fix.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5