Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Importing contacts from Hotmail account

Advisor

Importing contacts from Hotmail account

Previously, all my contacts were taken periodically from my Nokia E71 phone and moved to my Hotmail account.

I found no reason for this, although other threads here suggested I disable the contacts option in the email accounts part of my phone.

I not only did this, I upgraded the phone software and then imported the phone contacts from the backup I had made in Nokia PC Suite.

Now I need to import the rest of my contacts from Hotmail, the ones which were removed from my phone without my wanting them to be removed.

How do I do that?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: Importing contacts from Hotmail account

I found the answer - export contacts to a spreadsheet from hotmail (via browser window), options, more options, export contacts.

That's fine, and I've cut and pasted etc into a Nokia Suite Communication Centre .csv file.

Now I can't import the Nokia .csv file back into the phone.

Nokia doesn't like me doing that, Nokia wants me to buy Outlook Express, move the .csv file into that and then sync with it via the Suite.

How do I get around this problem?

Please use plain text.
Sage
xbin

I don't think there is a way of doing what you want but it might depend on what email client you are using on your phone.

When you set up the email account on the phone did it ask if you wanted to sync contacts? If so, you could sync the current contacts to the pc and delete the account off the phone. Then set it up again and sync with all the contacts in your hotmail. Once thats done, re-sync with the pc to put them all together.

E71-1(241.04) RM-346 300.21.012
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

I would like to be able to download a Windows Live client or Hotmail client to my phone, which would sync my contacts with  my Windows Live/Hotmail account; but after much searching I did not find any for the E71.

Nokia offers a download of one for S40 and S60 phones only, not the E71.  Microsoft don't offer anything for any phone not running a Windows Mobile OS.

I spent between four and five hours last night searching for solutions, exporting data, editing, importing data...

I ended up downloading a trial version of Outlook.

Of course, the .csv file still needed editing (all the 0's at the beginning of numbers had to be replaced); but that was easy.

In case there are any users out there who need to know this; what I tried with the .csv file and how I added the 0's was...I inserted the 0's one by one.  Then I tried (obviously naively) to alter the .csv file so that the Communicator would read it.

To do that, all I did was copy the data to a new spreadsheet, then did a formula ="*"&A1&"*"&";"

Then I did a paste special (values/text only), then replaced the * with ".

Then pasted back into the original file.

That is incorrect however, because in a .txt file in Notepad, the original .csv file had all the "", in there before editing.  So the editing was pointless.

I noticed that when I opened the .csv file in Notepad, that it was all correctly separated with "",

Not so if I open it in a spreadsheet.

Tried saving that as a .txt file and importing that via the Nokia Suite Communicator; but it froze up the program.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ozidug

The S40/S60 distinction relates to the platform, rather than the precise phone model. The E71 is an S60 phone (built on the S60 platform, also known as a Symbian phone). Have you tried the S60-compatible products? I'm afraid I can't help with Hotmail sync.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Yeah...just found that out by going to the Nokia E71 software specificatons.

Then found this in the Windows Live download instructions;

To find Windows Live on S60 devices, visit the "Download!" folder from the main menu and click on the Windows Live Messenger icon. If you don’t see the Messenger icon in the Download! folder, select "Options", and "Refresh list". Windows Live should appear after the list has been updated.

There is no "Download!" folder in my home menu.  It shows as being an installation in the Application Manager, but is not actually visible in the menu.

There are instructions about it in the help menus, so it must be there somewhere.

How do I make the "Download!" folder visible?

Please use plain text.
Sage
xbin

[ Edited ]

No 'Download' Folder has ever existed on my E71, it must mean the 'Installations' folder. If WLive appears in App Manager then it should be in the Installations or maybe the Communication folders unless it was moved. Sounds odd if App Manager thinks it is installed but it doesn't show up anywhere !

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

There was a "Download!" folder on my E71, because it shows in Application Manager and there are instructions about it in the Help menus.

What I have found out though, is that Nokia have probably disabled it to make way for the Ovi Store.

That's all well and good, but it does mean I can't have Windows Live Mail on my E71 at the moment.

The only reason I wanted Windows Live on my E71 is because the Nokia Suite Communicator doesn't read .csv files properly, and because Nokia Suite Communicator won't take an import from any email client except Outlook.

The reason why Nokia PC Suite won't read any .csv file that has been edited and saved is because in order to open the .csv file in a spreadsheet application, it has to be decoded first.  Is that going to be Unicode or Western EU 1252 Win Lat 1?

Nokia hasn't said so far.

What Nokia appear to want me to do instead, is to download Nokia Messenger and pay a subscription after the free trial of Nokia Messenger has ended. 

Nice try Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Sage
xbin

The Download in App Manager is not a folder, its a link to download files which now go through ovi as you say. Anything downloaded/installed goes into the installs folder as before.

CSV files are simply text files with values seperated by Comma's (but can be any character really). I don't see any reason for any decoding unless you aren't using Western. Some software needs each seperated value to be surrounded by quotes which is a bit odd as far as I'm concerned but thats how some are, so may be thats what is required here.

It is extremely doubtfull that Nokia will ever charge for Nokia Messaging.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

The reason for decoding is that when you open a .csv file in a spreadsheet after having exported to that file via Nokia Communicator, it asks you to pick which option you want to use to decode with.

I mean, I personally don't get it, but that is what happens.

The message sent to my email after I installed Nokia Messenger was this;

Thank you for trying Nokia Messaging! This email message contains important information about the service.

Costs of the service

During the trial, there is no cost for the Nokia Messaging service itself. However, data traffic will be charged according to your current operator service plan and may not be included in your flat data rate plan. Please contact your operator to know how much you will be charged.

Get the most up to date client

If you signed up for Nokia Messaging directly from your phone, please upgrade your software. The updated version allows you to view emails in HTML, supports Windows Live Hotmail, allows you to set up multiple email addresses, and is a lot faster!

Using your phone browser, visit http://email.nokia.com and click the download button.

NOTE: No upgrade is necessary for E75, E72 and E55 phones.

What happens after the trial?

As your trial nears its end, we will send you a reminder. If you do not want to purchase a subscription, simply allow the trial period to end. We will notify you when the period ends, and we will cancel your Nokia Messaging account. You will not be billed for the service and you will not have to do anything.

Enjoy your mobile email!

Please use plain text.
Sage
xbin

I don't know why it asks about decoding without having a mess around!

Yep, everyone receives that mail. However it is widely expected that the trial is now a never ending one and at some point they will remove any mention of it. You never know but if they do charge then many (most) will simply not use it - Nokia know this.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

This wasn't the only thread regarding this, found some others. Here is one, here is another, and another.

Please use plain text.