Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: 'Installed apps.' in the 'Application manager'...

Advisor
evil_sars
Accepted Solution

'Installed apps.' in the 'Application manager' in the 'Settings' menu doesnt open!

Menu-->Settings-->Application manager-->

Gives me 3 options:

• Installed apps.
  • Installation files
  • Installation sett.

Now when i click 'Installed apps', nothing happens and i am thrown to the previous menu after 30sec or so.

My software version is V 20.0.005

Any help will be appreciated..

Thanks..

Nokia X6 32Gb (comes with music)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
coolbelief

Re: 'Installed apps.' in the 'Application manager' in the 'Settings' menu doesnt open!

Restart phone and try to open "installed apps", don't run anything else. If still not working then uninstall any recenctly istalled apps, go to main menu>apps folder>options>organise>(single tap particular app)>options>remove Then try "installed apps"
Previous Phones: 6600, 7610, 6230, 6230i, 1100, 1112, N70, N73, N95, N95 8GB, 5800XM, 5230, C5, iPhone 3GS, SE Xperia X10, N900, N8, SE Xperia Arc

Current Phones: Nokia N9, iPhone 4
Please use plain text.
Advisor
evil_sars

Re: 'Installed apps.' in the 'Application manager' in the 'Settings' menu doesnt open!

[ Edited ]

Actually i hav tried restarting n opening this several times..but it never opens.

As for the uninstalling any recently installed apps is concerned, i installed quite a lot apps recently(30+) and this problem has been there for a week now. I even tried restoring the phone to its factory settings... didnt help.

Nyway thanks coolbelief.:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
coolbelief

"i installed quite a lot apps recently(30+)"

installing too many apps can cause problems sometimes, and may be 1 or 2 of them causing conflict.
So one work around is to uninstall all of them and install them one by one and see which one of them is causing problem. (thats some time taking work indeed,)
Otherwise Soft reset can help you, it'll wipe phone mem/C and phone will be in "Out of Box" condition. if you have any intention to do a soft reset PLEASE REMEMBER TO BACKUP FIRST.

Soft Reset;

*#7370# enter ur lock code, default is 12345
Good luck.
Previous Phones: 6600, 7610, 6230, 6230i, 1100, 1112, N70, N73, N95, N95 8GB, 5800XM, 5230, C5, iPhone 3GS, SE Xperia X10, N900, N8, SE Xperia Arc

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
steve_p

coolbelief wrote:
"i installed quite a lot apps recently(30+)"

installing too many apps can cause problems sometimes, and may be 1 or 2 of them causing conflict.
So one work around is to uninstall all of them and install them one by one and see which one of them is causing problem. (thats some time taking work indeed,)
Otherwise Soft reset can help you, it'll wipe phone mem/C and phone will be in "Out of Box" condition. if you have any intention to do a soft reset PLEASE REMEMBER TO BACKUP FIRST.

Soft Reset;

*#7370# enter ur lock code, default is 12345
Good luck.

I have an X6 and it suffers from exactly the same problem. I believe that the problem is not caused by one or two apps creating a conflict but instead that the OP (Original Poster) just has too many apps installed at once.

Nokia in its wisdom decided to scrimp on the installed RAM for its 2009 handsets e.g. N97 & X6 and I believe it's this lack of available free RAM that causes this problem in opening the Application Manager when too many apps are installed (e.g. more than 30 or 35 depending on the apps themselves). You click the icon, wait a few seconds with a blank screen and are then dumped back at the previous menu... translates to: Open the App Manager, it starts counting and scanning all the installed apps, it counts/scans up so far and then runs out of RAM and cannot continue to analyse the rest so it auto closes which is the normal behaviour for S60 when RAM memory runs really low.

You can try coolbelief's idea but I think you'll find it a waste of time. Ideally you'll have to cut back on the number of apps you have installed on the phone. If you want more than 30 to 35 apps installed on your phone then you'll have to be resigned to the fact that the App Manager won't function :smileysad: You can kind of work around the fact that the App Manager is disabled... if you need to uninstall a particular application, just go to its icon in the menu or menu sub-folder, click:

"Options" > "Organise" > highlight the app you want rid of > "Options" > "Remove"

I can forgive the X6 most of its faults due to that gorgeous screen but lack of free RAM is one pet hate that irritates me the most :smileymad: especially since my old handset was an N82 which had copious levels of free RAM.

S.

History: Motorola MR30, Nokia: 7110, 7650, N70, N80, N82, X6 (32GB), Samsung Galaxy SII

Current: Samsung Galaxy Note3 Black

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
coolbelief

@steve_p;

Agree!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
evil_sars

@steve_p

I think you are right. The problem is that the device runs out of ram while trying to get a list made of the installed apps. Thanks for the idea man:smileyhappy:..i never could hav thought that ram be an issue when its just creating a list of installed apps.

@coolbelief

Thanks again man:smileyhappy:. Ill try uninstalling apps one by one n if that too doesnt work, ill try a soft reset. And if still it doesnt work it may be an issue of the device having low ram.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
steve_p

Good luck in sorting it out. Let us know how you get on!

S.

History: Motorola MR30, Nokia: 7110, 7650, N70, N80, N82, X6 (32GB), Samsung Galaxy SII

Please use plain text.
Advisor
evil_sars

I just uninstalled round 10-12 apps...n tried goin into the 'Installed apps'..and it opens now.:smileyhappy::smileyhappy:

Thanks again to steve_p and coolbelief.

But i still need to find out that was this because of the phone running out of ram while compiling a list of installed apps or it was because of one or two 'bad' apps.

Ill try investigating and post any findings.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
coolbelief

Could be both, on s60 5th normally we get 40 to 50 mb free ram on a fresh start, and i don't think 'installed apps' could take that much. Search for some ram monitoring software (nokia energy profiler is one), and with that you can get some idea if the low ram is causing this problem.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
evil_sars

I tried installing all the previously uninstalled apps again and realized that having installed around 40-45 other than the pre installed ones, slow down the 'Installed app' list considerably,(it even gives an 'out of memory' message sometimes) but as soon as I cross the 50+ 3rd party apps installs..the 'Installed apps' menu refused to open at all.

During these tests I had the Handy Taskman installed to monitor the ram. I also always closed all the extra processes through the Taskman before going to the 'Installed app' list. Thus making sure that I have the maximum amount of free ram the device is able to spare, before creating the list.

So I think the ultimate problem lies with the ram, as pointed by steve_p. This actually means that there is an approximate 40-45(max) limit:smileysad: on the number of apps that can be installed on an X6 and still have the 'Installed app' list functional.

Although its possible to work around some of the services offered by the 'installed app' list, but not all.(eg: enabling/disabling onscreen keyboard, default internet connection etc)

Thanks again coolbelief, steve_p.:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
coolbelief

Welcome!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
steve_p

Thanks for reporting back... I have read similar findings on other forums  and also have my own experience too, unfortunately my X6 has 60+ 3rd party apps on it. Would never be a problem on my old N82 but a constant niggle on the X6.

S.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mayankast

why not just move 10-15 applications together to a new folder?

this will make sure that long lists of applications do not need to be compiled everytime.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Shadow78

Hello,

I unistalled several apps (about 12-13) and then the apps installed works!!!! Too many apps installed for me.

Have a nice day.

(NOKIA X6 8 GB)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DushanDJ

Please help me ! I couldnt open installed apps,i red what you wrote and unistalled 15-20.After that application mannager worked but a really slow,so i decided to unistall more apps.After i did so the application mannager (installed apps) couldn't open.It just shows the black screen and after that it returns me to application mannager "home" Please please please help me ! Thanks !

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DushanDJ

I HAVE NOKIA X6 8GB
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
presston

'Installed apps.' in the 'Application manager' in the 'Settings' menu doesnt open! LOOK UP FIRST

wow,you guys really know what you said,I tried first dumping some apps that I really do not use and ¨¨BOALA¨¨¨worked!!!,I was thinking about master reset the phone but then that was not needed,please YOU,tried deleting and them do something else,the last resource could be doing the master reset,I got an app that could be very helpfull to managa the RAM memory=  NetQin_P1432_MG_S60OS90+94_v_3_0_0_Express_Signed_EN_20101231.sisx,

THANKS DUDES!!!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
memak41

My n900 app manager, faster app manager keeps showing 'error unable to install' tried using the x terminal but it says 'dpkg: files of file com.ea.app.battleship.pre.en contains empty file name.. please how do i fix this without hard reset or flashing the phone?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

memak41 wrote:
My n900 app manager, faster app manager keeps showing 'error unable to install' tried using the X terminal but it says 'dpkg: files of file com.ea.app.battleship.pre.en contains empty file name.

EA Games has never released a version for Maemo AFAIK and if you have tried to circumvent this by converting .ipk to .deb this manufacturer's sponsored forum is hardly the venue to ask for such help.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.