Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Invalid WPA Pre-Shared Key

Invalid WPA Pre-Shared Key

I have a Nokia 5800 and I have been trying to connect to my home wireless broadband (Netgear). I can detect full signal but when I try to to connect to the internet there is an invalid msg which is starting to annoy me as I have tried everything!!!

Pls help

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Invalid WPA Pre-Shared Key

I presume you have already checked your passphrase many times.

Do you have MAC filtering enabled on your router? If you do then you have to add the MAC address of your 5800 into the allowed list. 

It may also be worth trying turning off security on your router and see if your phone connects. 

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Hmmm! For some reason I cannot seem to edit my last post.

I realise it is not practical to leave the security disabled all the time but disabling it temporarily could eliminate other issues with your connection. 

You could also try updating the firmware on your router. I have heard of issues with Netgear routers which can be resolved with a router firmware update.

I am not the most of tekkie guys! where is the Mac address and how do I get that into the router??? Apologies :-(
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Access to the admin menu for the router is via the browser on your pc and you enter an IP address usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1. Check the documentation for your router because it is different for every router type. Look out for MAC filtering. If it is disabled then this is not the cause of your problem. If it is enabled, there should be a list of allowed MAC addresses and you have to add the MAC address of your phone into this list.

You can get the MAC address of your phone by using this code on your phone.

*#62209526# - Find your phone's MAC address (WLAN)

Mobile Guru
hadimassa

Cjlim is absolutely right and turn off the WPA2 only settings in your phone if this is in use
‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
charlie_cat

[ Edited ]

Can some one help me please? I sit with the same problem, I tried updating the phone and it says no updates available!

I also get invalid wpa pre-shared key! and the code i type in is exactly as it is on my laptop, which i connected to the same router.

my phone is software version: 52.0.007 with date 17/10/2010!

is this the latest? 

please help im desperate :smileyhappy:

thanks

Advisor
Corporal_Hicks

Try resetting your router
Preethi_I

I AM USING A NOKIA E-5 MODEL.

I am unable to use the wifi connection. I was able to browse before, but now whenevr  i do it takes so long and then finally comes up with a message that unable to connect.

Contributor
mhbsdMEW

i dont know your rooter and phone. or if they are buggy. but if you have problems make sure that:

1. mac filtering is off

2. both devices support the decryption you are using: wep, wpa, wpa2

3. if necessary you insert the right ssid, its the name of your network

4. you insert the right key

5. your router is a dhcp server and your phone is a dhcp client

if one of your devices using linux you have to insert exact the same signs. you have hex signs a to f, there is no difference between a and A its alway a 10 but the character code for a and A is different..

N900 user - facit omnia voluntas