Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Is there any NOKIA UK promo going on?

Counsellor
hamzah95

Is there any NOKIA UK promo going on?

yesterday I got a sms that i won 130,000 pounds from the on going nokia uk promo. Is there anything like that because i live in the United arab Emirates and I got this sms.

Plz help me with this beause I suspect that this is a spam sms
Nokia N72
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: Is there any NOKIA UK promo going on?

It is total spam, nokia wouldn't contact you like that.

See this official comment:
/discussions/board/message?board.id=news&thread.id=608
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hamzah95

I was wondering my self how the hell did they get my number while they are a mobile manufacturing company
Nokia N72
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

The scammers get your number from the personal details that the mobile networks sell on to 3rd party companies (mailing lists). Sometimes the numbers are also chosen at random.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hamzah95

thanks but they also had a number but it was uk so i couldn't call on it. the email was nokiauk@email.com And when i saw email????????????????????????????????????? i new it was a scam
Nokia N72
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

The email addresses are always the biggest clue in a scam.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

On a side note, possibly tangential.

I haven't received any of these texts, however, I have suddenly started getting "tip" texts from Nokia. They seem to be real. Does upgrading to Software v21 on a N95 kick off these messages?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Only if you accepted the tips and tricks prompt that appeared. Not sure how you stop them.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
maverickg

15-Jul-2008 11:03 AM
psychomania wrote:
Only if you accepted the tips and tricks prompt that appeared. Not sure how you stop them.

on uk o2 it's applications -> my Nokia and select unsubscribe
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

15-Jul-2008 10:56 AM
palexr wrote:
I haven't received any of these texts, however, I have suddenly started getting "tip" texts from Nokia. They seem to be real. Does upgrading to Software v21 on a N95 kick off these messages?

Subscribing to "My Nokia" is what triggers them.

Actually they're a bit of a PITA being somewhere around the level of "tip: how to switch your phone on", and the firmware update notifications are for a phone branded with my operator's firmware while I use an unbranded phone, but I do use the "My Nokia" service to do on-line backups of my contacts and calendar.

So, I went into my settings, said that I wanted to receive the tips by e-mail only and gave an e-mail address on my domain that doesn't exist.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

Hello. help. I from in Ukraine. I take this is sms : Congrats! Your mobile has won 100 000.00 GBP in the on going NOKIA UK PROMA,email your name and to our london office.                        That is joke or breeding.

Moderator Note: Contact Numbers and Email Address were removed. This information are not allowed to be posted on a public web forum.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

Scam

You'll be asked for an admin fee to release the fictional "winnings"  or some such

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
soad2010

[ Edited ]

hello 

i am soad from libya .

today 5-6-2010 i  got a massage from the number that says:

your mobile phone number just won 350000 pounds in the

going uk nokia promo .

and it told me to email : 

can you please give me explain for this massage and tell me if this a real massage from nokai.

thanks

Moderator Note: Personal contact details removed. This information are not allowed to be posted on a public web forum.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

Can you please give me explain for this massage and tell me if this a real massage from nokai.

Read previous replies  and draw your own conclusions .

You are the fourth one to day to have won a lot of money  ?????

jje

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Of course it's a hoax. Think about it. Why on earth would Nokia be using a live.com (hotmail) e-mail address? Also, the local part of the e-mail address, "nokiaclaims144", suggests that the first 143 have been deleted for violations of hotmail's terms of service (such as spamming...) or at least that your hoaxers expect that to happen.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
darth_pogo

grschinon wrote:

Actually they're a bit of a PITA being somewhere around the level of "tip: how to switch your phone on", and the firmware update notifications are for a phone branded with my operator's firmware while I use an unbranded phone, but I do use the "My Nokia" service to do on-line backups of my contacts and calendar.

Yes, "how to switch your phone on"  is a rather pointless, if not somewhat inane tip! :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor

This thread is evidence in itself as to why people still attempt this kind of scam... 

Please use plain text.
mauro50

[ Edited ]

I received the below mail,

the issue is that a bank is partner of this fraud

To,

Mr./Mrs.
Payment No.: NK-57
Verification No.: CN-435-663-0

Email: !!!!!!!!!!!!@hotmail.com    

Date: 22nd, September, 2010

Congratulations, we the staff of NOKIA congratulates you as one of our lucky winners. Your Email address has won you the sum of £750,000.00 Great British Pounds  and your cheque has been issued in your name. We advise you to check the spelling of your name and if your name is arranged or well spelt so as to avoid problems at your local bank.
Your name:.................

Your Country:.............,
Winning Email Address:............
Mobilr Number:..................
A copy of your identity:.........
 Standard Chartered Bank United Kingdom

Moderator Note: Personal contact information removed. This information are not allowed to be posted on a public web forum.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Standard scam mail. If you feel that a bank is being fraudulent (which I seriously doubt) then report it to the police.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
StevefromOz

[ Edited ]

I Live in Australia and also received I txt @ 6am stating you won 900,000 pounds respond with a password to receive your prize.

As we say down under

" WHAT A CROCK"....Of **bleep**

thank Nokia & Vodaphone for even more **bleep** on my phone !!!!!

Moderator Note: Email address removed as it is unwise to publish personal contact information on a public web forum.

Please use plain text.