Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Is there any way to disable USB charging on N8?

Contributor

Is there any way to disable USB charging on N8?

It might be a strange question. But many time, my battery still nearly full and I just want to transfer a couple of files. When I plug the cable in, it start charging right away. This may makes battery deteriorate faster. Therefore, is there any way to disable USB charging? Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Professor
kman00

Re: Is there any way to disable USB charging on N8?

If I were you I would just use the USB on the go, transfer whatever you want on a flashdrive and transfer that to your phone that way with the USB cable that comes with the phone, I know its an extra step but that way you won't have to worry about your battery. So how do you like the phone so far? You happy with it? I'm deciding weather or not to buy it.

Nokia N80
Nokia N82
Nokia N97
Nokia N8 Dark Gray- RM-596
Please use plain text.
Contributor

kman00, you will find the many improvements with N8 over your N97 (My old phone is 5800XM). It is faster and has better usability. Yes, it is a good phone but it is still not perfect. There are still down side in symbian^3 browser and the audio quality which is quite bad with low impedance headphone as there are noticable static noise produced (I use Phillips SHE9850). Just check if that feature is your concern or not. If yes, you may have to go and try it yourself before purchasing. Hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Professor
kman00

Well as for Browser, I've read nokia is working on a upgrade that should make it much more user friendly, I think that's coming out around February but even if that doesn't work I have no problem using opera Mobile, I use it on my N97 and love it, but I usually runs out of memory lol and that shouldn't be a problem in N8.

How is your experience with email and facebook? Is the only email client Nokia messaging? You know in N97 you have the option of nokia messaging and phones Email client.

I was even thinking about wireless headphones, I don;t know, haven't decided yet.

Nokia N80
Nokia N82
Nokia N97
Nokia N8 Dark Gray- RM-596
Please use plain text.
steleong

I have the same problem. How to disable charging when connect to PC via USB?

Please use plain text.
Sage
Akuma07

You can't.

The first time i connected my N8 to my computer, it wasn't charging. But when the battery got down to 10% the USB charging kicked in.... it was strange...

But yeah, ever since then, it charges everytime i plug it in. You can't turn it off yet.
Hit the white star if I have helped you =]
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

charging by usb isn't a problem , modern batteries do not suffer 'memory effect' just do what you want to do and don't worry about it . My N97 is connected to laptop most nights for anything from 10 minutes to an hour , no battery problem in 18 months and left on charge overnight every night . Enjoy your new phone and don't worry about a problem that doesn't exist :smileyhappy:

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
sunny_pirate

[ Edited ]

I have an Issue with my Apartment Earthing System, the earthing does not work with some devices. So, there is a slight current felt at the sides of my Laptop. 

When I connect the N8 to the laptop, because of USB charging there is a shock felt if you touch the handset! I believe this might damage the device, so its important for me to disable it! There must be a software way to do this?

Thanks,

Sunny.

Please use plain text.