Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Is this Nokia C6 bug software or hardware.

Advisor
C6user

Is this Nokia C6 bug software or hardware.

I just purchase a C6. I find that the sound from the C6 when heard through headphones is not centered.

The media player fortunately has a balance(panning) option and I need to set it to pan 50% left to get the sound centered in the stereo field. However, for alarms, etc, the sound is coming from the right side of the stereo field.

I have done reset to factory defaults and reupdated the firmware twice.

I don't think its a hardware issue as when the panning is corrected by selecting 50% left, its sounds centered.

Also when doing the firmware update, all of the installed applications remain intact. The profile changes do get reset to default, same for the standard applications listed in the front page. So I am not sure if the firmware update is working. Previous Nokia software updates resulted in erasing all changes made.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
phonehacker

Re: Is this Nokia C6 bug software or hardware.

[ Edited ]

well, i dont have a C6 but i want to buy one...

"Also when doing the firmware update, all of the installed applications remain intact. The profile changes do get reset to default, same for the standard applications listed in the front page. So I am not sure if the firmware update is working. Previous Nokia software updates resulted in erasing all changes made."

i've read somewhere that C6 has UDP (User Data Preversation) which means when you update you won't lose your settings, apps you have into it...

If you want to thank someone, just click on the blue star at the bottom of their post

Please use plain text.
Advisor
C6user

If you are looking for good audio quality, carefully consider. My old music xpress sounded way much better. Good thing that the music play has that panning function, else my set would pretty much be unusable. The stereo widening algorithm is bad compared to music xpress. It significant distorts the sound.

GPS via Ovi Maps is really slow. I don't see how it can be use for transport navigation.

And if you want to use an MP3 for alarms and alerts sounds, they have to be stored in the phone memory and not the card. It just will not browse over to the card memory!

I hope there will be an update with big fixes.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

the c 6 is not a music based device its a social network aimed device ,i was planning on buying one today so you say the music player is bad ,thats one important thing for me

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
phonehacker

[ Edited ]

@C6user

thanks for your useful info buddy. fortunately, i am not a music fan:smileyhappy: . but i care about the camera...:smileyindifferent: . is its camera good?

If you want to thank someone, just click on the blue star at the bottom of their post

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sockatume

This will sound ludicrously patronising, but have you pushed the headphone jack in all the way? There are several models of Nokia phone where it's hard to push the headphones in fully at first and that can do bad things to the stereo balance.
Help I'm trapped in a sig factory.
Please use plain text.
triptrip25

hi tanz 4 all d info given i love d fone C6 nd i'm a lady wud u pls make recommendations on d fone nd if i shd go ahed nd purchase it, i love music nd browsing as well so pls make ur recommendation, tanz.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

we as nokia users have our own views and thoughts on every model so one bad and one good review dont make it equal it will take time for a decent review as its just new and over the next few weeks we can see if there is a common issue with faults ,so i might just wait myself now and see i will be testing one tomorrow for the day and see what feed back is there in relation to the two posts above ,ive seen some reviews on you tube it looks like a good device so we see how the future holds for it

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Advisor
p3ter

triptrip25, I have a feeling that a full keyboard might be wasted on you...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

why is that ?

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sockatume

I think p3ter is trying to make a joke at the expense of triptrip25's typing. However I think people who use a lot of abbreviations are likely to benefit from a full keyboard because predictive text doesn't handle them as well.
Help I'm trapped in a sig factory.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

the c 5 is not great which im using now at moment posting here ,the page keeps shooting of to the right ,the words dont store all the time ,its becoming a nuisance ,and again with the small screen it dont help i think i may just get the c 6 alone for them reasons.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Advisor
p3ter

You are correct sockatune!

On another note, I wonder why Nokia decided to have a standard charger connection AS WELL as Micro USB on this device? I thought Nokia had adopted the Micor USB charging standard.

Wonder if its linked to the issues with not getting a fast charge from a Non-nokia Micro-USB charger/cable?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
C6user

I have. First thing I checked.

I suspect there will be a big bug fix update soon. Guess this is the price of being an early adopter, bugs... . But panning to the left 50% makes it ok. So its not like that is no workaround. Sound quality is not as good as a 5610.

But the main gripe is that the file system is not robust. Ghosting of files and no way of getting the system to refresh. Mp3s must be copied over via Ovi Player for the system to recognise them. The music player will find them but not the operating system like when you want to use them for alerts or alarms sounds. Then you better delete you stuff in the phone file manager and not from the computer.

Camera is ok. Just remember to delete photos only via the photo brower and not even from the phone's file browser else there be ghosting.

Get BlockGo, Sliding Escape, TropicalTowers. They are nice!

Downloading stuff from Ovi, use the browser rather than Ovi Store app. Installation can failed with Ovi Store app but when you redo it with web browser, it will work 100% of the time.

Ovi Maps GPS. When the positioning method is set to solely GPS. Its takes forever (or more like never since I gave up after 5 mins, tried this 3 times already) to locate itself. But when selecting additional method options, Wifi/Network, etc. It will then call out and viola, its updates the position pretty quick then. 

So basically, your location is triangulated by the cell phone signal transmitters... they just call it GPS so as to not spook people into realising that their cell phones are a 3D ID card. If you got no phone signal, dun expect GPS to work.

Browser is fast enough and updates well. Opera is even quicker but somehow doesn't want to use WAP but GPRS or something. Must go figure out how to get it to use WAP.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
C6user

Figured out why installing via the Ovi Store application keeps failing. The settings was for installing into the memory card. When you install into the memory card, installation fails!!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
p3ter

Got mine today. Replaced the 2Gb card supplied with a 16gb and experienced a similar problem to the one you descibe with Ovi Store, but with Ovi Maps. Ovi Suite would not recognize the Maps installation and refused to download maps.

The solution was to reinstall Ovi Maps, after which Ovi Suite once again recognised the install and could sync maps etc.

http://maps.nokia.com/services-and-apps/ovi-maps/downloads-and-services

(C6 isnt listed, I chose N97 mini)

Please use plain text.
Employee
laitos

C6user wrote:

Ovi Maps GPS. When the positioning method is set to solely GPS. Its takes forever (or more like never since I gave up after 5 mins, tried this 3 times already) to locate itself. But when selecting additional method options, Wifi/Network, etc. It will then call out and viola, its updates the position pretty quick then. 

So basically, your location is triangulated by the cell phone signal transmitters... they just call it GPS so as to not spook people into realising that their cell phones are a 3D ID card. If you got no phone signal, dun expect GPS to work.

Actually we call it A-GPS and when A-GPS is used, then the first "rough" location is estimated with the help from network and then the actual position is then calculated by using this rough estimate of current location and the GPS satellite data. This is quite quick method as you mentioned and getting the fix takes only a few seconds. 

If A-GPS is not used (e.g. all network connections are disabled), then the GPS fix is calculated only with the data which is received from the GPS satellites and in worst case this can take up to 15 minutes. Getting a fix requires also that there's enough satellites visible, so it's always possible that there are problems with the GPS fix inside bigger cities (skyscrapers scramble the signal or obstruct visibility).

So, in any case I'd use A-GPS whenever possible :smileyhappy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-GPS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_to_first_fix

Btw. I'll also forward your file manager / file system issues to our SW team. I'll be on vacation until the end of August, but I hope that someone could check if these are working according to specs.

Please use plain text.
peterandre

thanks for the useful information had problems as well
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

1st use of maps to get location can be slow

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Advisor
C6user

Updated to the 29 update.

Well, file system problems listed earlier are still present. Can't delete the ghost files in the photo browser. System error. Music player still does not update number of songs properly.

Music player. Panning. Now about 25% to the left is "centre". Confirm stereo field placement by listening to alarm tones too.

New problems

Trying to change alarm tones gets challenging. The file list reset itself within a few seconds. So you open the file list from alarm settings, within a few seconds, it refreshes itself and keeps doing it.

No good.

Will update as I encounter any further **bleep**.

Please use plain text.