Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Issues with Swype on the N8

evilpaul

Issues with Swype on the N8

I downloaded and installed the Swype app for my N8. I wanted to change some of the settings and not of them save. When I change them and back out of the settings page, the revert back to what they originally were. I also can't uninstall/reinstall because of this same issue.

I looked through the files on my phone to see if there was any setting files I could manually change but I did not see anything. There is a swype log file that says a pen input failed to install.

Any help would be great, I liked the vibration the stock keyboard had and I lost that now. I just want to go back to the stock keyboard.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Open swype application... Swype Input Metod..'NO" and re-boot your phone..

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

It's worth persisting with Swype for a couple of days, the more you use it, it gets used to how you type and becomes really fast and easy to use !

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
evilpaul

The settings do not save. I click that, restart, and nothing. That and none of the options saved when backing out of the settings. 

Reading around I don't think it is officially available for the N8. The version that is able to be downloaded if for the C7 but seems to install fine.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

/t5/Nseries-and-S60-Smartphones/Work-around-to-get-Swype-keyboard-on-N8/m-p/774317

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
nocnoc

I just found an easy way to uninstall Swype on the N8.

Go to Settings, than Phone, than Language, and change the 'writing language' to Nederlands. Swype doesn't currently support this language pack, so it will disable itself. You can now uninstall it, and switch your language back to normal.

Voila.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
mayjas

i only have arabic/farsi/urdu/english as languages.

so how do i uninstall swype on n8?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Swype works great on the N8. Settings are not saved but it is cool. Note that it is not officially released yet so not too much whining.

Please use plain text.
nocnoc

Try each language and see if you pull up the stock keyboard. If you do, Swype will uninstall if you try it. If Swype comes up under every language, you may have to wait for an official update from them, or do a hard reset.
Please use plain text.
Sage
Akuma07

Swype doesn't support the N8 yet. It works but not the way it should. Wait until it supports the N8 properly, then download it again.

But yes, you cannot delete Swype off the N8, without Hard Reset, or some other tricky things. This is because of the unsupported nature.

Hit the white star if I have helped you =]
Please use plain text.
Advisor
mayjas

Re: Issues with Swype on the N8 (SOLVED !!!!!)

Everyone, i just successfully uninstalled the Swype beta version from my N8 after a lot of risk and trial and errors. Here is what i did

1. Download and install X-plore for N8.

2. Browse E:\ through X-plore

3. search for files *swyp*.* and also swyp*.*

4. delete all those files which are in the above 2 search results

5. some files will not be able to delete

6. search and note location for such files

7. connect N8 with pc in USB storage mode

8. go to the location of the above files (which could not delete through x-plore) and delete them thru pc

9. MAIN STEP (i think this did it) - go to the folder in mass memory sys\bin and delete the file "uninstall_0x200333DC.exe"

10. restart phone and check it out

Please post your replies and if working properly, share it with all who are planning to hard reset the phone.

Please donot hard reset the phone, as you wil lose Ovi store and vb runtime.

This was my last attempt to uninstall Swype as i was planning to hard reset tonight.

My next step in to install Swype version for C7 (people say it works properly).

All the best !!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mayjas

installed Swype for C7 after above uninstall. works like a charm, but only in landscape mode.

Please use plain text.
Sage
dani2xll

Where did you find x-plore for n8 as I can not find a version compatible with it on longelycatgames.

History is a mirror of the past!
And a lesson for the present!
(Persian Proverb)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
mayjas

Xplore 1.51, google it.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
PratikD

Thanks Mayjas. It works. I was able to uninstall. But instead of installingX-plore, I just connected to PC using USB storage mode. Searched for 'SWYP' in the mass storage drive and deleted all those files (I first copied the 4 folders that were getting affected. I had already taken full backup previously). Then I deleted the uninstall exe as per your instructions. Restarted the phone and then uninstaled from apps mgr.. it worked........... :smileyhappy: Thx a lot once again.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
mayjas

You are most welcome PratikD !!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pohlipit

I was trying to download from OVI but it says it's not available for my region. I am using a C7 from Thailand.

I tried the store or via the direct download link.

Does anyone know how to get around it or where to download the installation files directly, not via OVI?

P!

My Nokia history:
2110 => 6110 => 8110 => 6310 => 2300 => 2600 => 6070 => E71 => N97 Mini => E72 => C7 => E7 => E6 => 700
Please use plain text.
Advisor
mayjas

Ive uploaded it here for you and every1 to download, who get the message "Not available in your region"

www( dot )mediafire( dot )com/?lfvdnqomqewdbm5

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pohlipit

Hi!

You are a star. I am already typing this message from the Swype keyboard on the C7. Works great.
Thanks so much,
P!

My Nokia history:
2110 => 6110 => 8110 => 6310 => 2300 => 2600 => 6070 => E71 => N97 Mini => E72 => C7 => E7 => E6 => 700
Please use plain text.
ThetTt

[ Edited ]

This item is not available for your country. Explore more great content in the "Related" section below.

**bleep**ing nokia!!!

Only cause its a qwerty and not a qwertz programm you forbid it for german!!!

what the **bleep** are you thinkin????

damn ovi store!

at the old store you got the *.sis(x) file and could install a program to your phone.

Now you don't can download it, just cause the damn **bleep**ing new ovi store and if you paid for it, and there will be an error you have no file and no programm but paid for it!

i just want to have swype, omg!

whats the problem to give swype worldwide free?

Please use plain text.