Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: List of common 5800 problems and solution stat...

Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Re: List of common 5800 problems and solution status

It was not disproved I for one know that its pricing. For example, I bought my phone for about $50 less from a Europe supplier than its price for my country. It did not have Adobe preinstalled, but the phones in my country which are more expensive have it preinstalled. It is price dependent.

What I meant by country dependent is that the function does not have high demand in the country, so they took it out. Also, it would be based on the market in the country. If the market in the country caters more to lower end and cheaper phones, then Nokia will take out certain additional pre-installed apps to make the price go lower so more of that particular model will be bought.

Lets face the facts, there are a lot of not well to do people in India, thus the market is at a lower phone range than in Europe. They do not consider you inferior, but the fact that if they increase the price of the 5800 there due to the paid apps, there would be less customers.

You are one person against a survey of the entire Indian market. Your wants dont count as much. Also, the PDF reader is available on the device through Ovi Store I think. I dont know if its still there though.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Dissapointeddd

[ Edited ]

well, I doubt it is for free. And pdf, doc readers shoud be free, included in a smart phone. At least READERS, edditing and other fuctions could be paid.

I just feel like a morron then I show my phone which cost at least twice as the one my friend has and he can read simple doc files and I cannot. Even more of a morron and cheated then it is another Nokia phone.

Buying an app is not an option, because I strongly believe that it is a basic function of smartphone. And if Nokia can provide us with so many useless, unnecesery programs it could provide us with a program to read doc files.

And Nokia looses more with not doing so as there are plenty of people who are unsatisfied with this and some unlock the phone (don't know how it is cold) which is not ok with a guarantee. I doubt I could ever buy another Nokia phone after this dissapointment.

How stupid it is that if I want to read something on my phone I email it to me as a letter and use internet to read some simple doc file instead of saving document on my phone and simple opening it.

About other problems and solutions, only the ones I have and it's not all of them :smileyvery-happy: :

radio doesn't work- turning off the phone works for now

phone doesn't turn on - taking out memory card (need to update music library after that)

home screen not working with shortcuts - green, red, camera buttons and turn on (deletes everything)

screen with lines after unlocking, nothing is vissible - replace the screen or download app from ovi store flashligh, keeps the phone from locking up, but drains the battery (temporary solution)

batery drains without any use - because of the problem number 2 probably, taking our the battery the only way to turn off the phone so battery contacts get looser

internet crashes all the time- would like to know how to fix that one

other programs crashes too- no sollution

screen sometimes freezing - don't know why

not being able to install anything - dont remember how I fixed that one

enough for now :smileyhappy:

I was a little dissapointed from the topic name I expected to see a lot of problems with their sollutions and there were only a few. My phone alone had more problems than written in this topic

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

The document reader is free. It used to be in the software downloads of the 5800. If its not you can search for it on the net. Type quick office 6 for the 5800. Doc, PPT and XSL reader is free. PDF reader not being free is not Nokia's fault. Adobe is asking for a price.

As I said, putting it in would make the phone slightly more expensive. They're not free, the price is just included in the phone. Didnt you ever wonder why 2 phones with exactly the same features have a price tag difference of about $50? (e75 and 5730). The e75 has bundled complete office apps, 5730 does not.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Dissapointeddd

[ Edited ]

Well I did, I looked for QO 4.1 too. That one nowhere to be found (only illegally maybe and I don't want wisk guarantee as the phone is a piece of sh... Don't have a polite word). QO 6 is not free, there is free update (not for Nokia 5800) and trial (won't it end as it is only trial?)

I just checked and it is 7 days trial, so how is this free?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Reader is free, the editing is not free. QO 4.1 was not touch optimized and can only read for 5800 and not edit. On QO 6, reading is free but not editing. On a side note, QO premier must be the one you saw. Dont get premier version as that's not free, since that's the one with the editor.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Dissapointeddd

[ Edited ]

There is only QO premier 6 at least in www.quickoffice.com I kinda think that it should have all its products on its webpage as they created it and I see only quick office premier. Google also doesn't find any reliable sources, only rapidshare, torrents and alike. It's been months since I first tried to get my phone to read doc files and i am still at point zero. People only suggest to crack the phone and similar stuff

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Well, I got from a non-crack related website (they ban you for even mentioning the word crack), that the quick office premier trial version is free-reader forever, edit for 7 days.

So just download it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Now, that another person (Mr Disappointed) has joined this issue is proof that I am not the only person who is so disappointed by Nokia's tactics.  At least, now Nokia should gracefully accept and recognize a genuine deficiency pointed out by the customer as a genuine one.  Rather, what is more disappointing is the way Nokia responds to genuine difficulties faced by the buyer of their product which suffers from a genuine deficiency.

May I ask you then why Nokia is forcing us to carry the utterly USELESS pre-installed games in our precious phone memory (note that this can never be uninstalled by the user from the phone, as it is bundled along with the software pre-installed)?  If these utterly useless games are coming free?  I believe No.  It might also be outsourced by Nokia after buying Licences from the software (game)-makers.  Why can't Nokia bundle the most essential PDF reader instead of this useless game?  In fact, the customer is now forced to carry an utterly useless, rubbish gaming software (for which he is also made to pay along with the price of the phone, as already mentioned by Nokia, nothing comes free!)  Please understand, understand, understand that game is not an essential software for which we are forced to pay for.  Instead of bundling the useless game, Nokia should give us the PDF Reader for vewing PDF Documents.  What we need is only a viewer without limitations.  We are not asking for editor.  But Nokia is always replying as if you people did not understand our genuine difficulty.  The way you reply really is antagonistic as well as it sounds more arrogant that you will provide only this useless game (for which the buyer is paying as nothing comes free) and if we need an essential software, we need to buy it separately.  How ludicrous is your stand!?

Understand that it is not only me.  But scores of other users are finding it extremely difficult to use the phone because of the lack of basic software application for reading PDF files without limitations.  Once the unnecessary, utterly useless games are taken away and PDF reader is bundled instead of games, that will certainly offset the cost or at least minimise the additional cost to be borne by the customer.  Nokia should think it in that way instead of giving rubbish replies.  No customer would hesitate to spend a small per centage of increase in the cost (certainly less than the cost of buying the software separately).  Here, what Nokia is doing is they are simply forcing the customer to pay for an utterly useless pre-installed game and again forcing the customer to buy the most essential software from outside.  Is it really right on the part of Nokia?  Is it really a good business practice?  Certainly not.  Understand, understand, understand at least now.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
zech666

I have some problems on my N5800 with regard to keyguard switch... It is very inconsistent in a way that I clutch that switch twice just to turn off the LCD backlight... Sometimes one slide down is enough to lock my phone and turn off its backlight... Is that an effect of a certain worm or virus? Or a phone defect?

One more thing, it also instantly turns off the backlight while I'm browsing at my phone...

to wrap it up, I have trouble in activating and deactivating backlight...

Kindly help me with these... Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

Is it really right on the part of Nokia?  Is it really a good business practice?  Certainly not.  Understand, understand, understand at least now.

Understand, understand, understand this is a users forum not Nokia so you are wasing your breath   . Use the Contact Us button .

jje

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@skumar - The PDF readers as I already said are not freely distributed by Adobe, and Nokia wanting to keep the phone at lower price range, did not include it. Well then why dont you just buy the PDF reader then?

This is a marketing decision as the majority of the Xpressmusic phone with s60 OS buyers do not even know that their phones can read PDF files. But Nokia wants the phone to have as low a cost as possible.

The Xpressmusic lineup is not marketed as "business" devices, and more of a enjoyable device. Its target market are teenagers actually, who in fact only want their phones for music, games, and basic phone calls.

So in fact, you are mistaken. The Xpressmusic lineup does not need PDF readers, as it was never meant for the market whose users want PDF readers. that's what the E-series is for.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sath

i am unable to retrive a dns address from my isp who are aol, i have found out that they provide a dynamic dns codes that keeps on changing... which ip and subet do i use the wirless routers or the modems....i have got bt voyager 190 adsl and i have also got belkin wireless g....please help:smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mahendrameher

This mobile 5800 set is camera not working.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

This mobile 5800 set is camera not working.

not working from new  ?? return it to the supplier ..

Stoped  working soft reset     dial   *#7780#

jje

Please use plain text.
prahar

i had the same problem and i tried the solution. but it is not working. what can b done 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Swastik

when i use flash in the night to take photos, the flash is so bright that it almost turns one side of the image milky. its very dissapointing, if this is the real picture qualiy of 5800 xpress music. If any solutions to this please suggest

Please use plain text.
ruinga

Hi There- not sure if you can assist. (fingers xd!) I have had my phone about 1 year & 6 mnths,

have nto dropped/ water or neither....& last night i put phone on charger to wake up to it having not charged.  This morning, I have tried two different chargers & tried the 2chargers on friends phones- both chargers are working good.  have switched phone off/ on & removed battery, have even tried cleaning connector... phone is stilI not charging. arrghh!! I am over my warranty period (12 mnths) even tho- I am still paying for the handset as a mobile repayment option which sux to me. I have checked a couple of phone places but they dont know too much.... any suggestions??? anything would be much appreciated. Many Thanks, tia

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
majela

i'm having a prblem with my SD card. It happened for almost 3 times now. All photos and MP3s were missing.. and when i check  it to my phone's FILE MANAGER i noticed that the file name of my memory card was changed to "ID3". and though all files were lost the capacity stays the same as if it has all the files.. what should i do to retrieved all the files. is it possible?? thanks. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
laskarsamad

hlo
Please use plain text.