Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lots of reasons why my Nokia 5800 Xpress Music...

Advisor
Complainer

Lots of reasons why my Nokia 5800 Xpress Music sucks

Hi folks

I got my Nokia 5800 Xpress Music a few months back, paying a bit more than I had intended for my phone. I use the phone mostly for web browsing via wifi and as a camera. It is my first touchscreen phone, and the touchscreen is quite nice.

But now the bad news - there are just so many problems with this phone, ranging from the trivial to the serious. I've compiled a list, so I'm posting it below for the effort. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can fix the big issues, I'd be delighted to hear from you. If anyone is considering buying a Nokia 5800, then don't.

All comments welcome.

Complainer.

Bad Stuff

Browser

Browser is terrible – Crashes almost every session, within 2-4 minutes of use. I tried using Opera, but that lost bookmarks after every session. I tried 'UC Browser' from the Nokia store, and that was just very hard to use. So now I use the pre-installed browser, and I just put up with the fact that it crashes every few minutes.

The ‘overview’ feature to move around large pages doesn’t work for me. It seems to frequently release for no reason while I am scrolling down long pages.

The usability of the interface about network connections is terrible. When opening up the browser first time, it first asks me ‘Connection to server needed. Connect?’, and then searches for available networks and presents a list for me to select from. There is no point in the first ‘connect’ question. They should simply provide a cancel option from the second dialogue, and cut out the first dialogue. This problem is made much worse by the frequent browser crashes, so I end up having to go through these dialogues many times.

The pickup of WiFi signals is variable. I often find that when I attempt to connect to my home router, the phone does not find my router. If I retry after a few seconds from the exact same location, the phone finds that router. I don’t have this problem with other devices at home, just this phone.

PC Interface

I’ve been unable to connect to my phone using Nokia PC Suite. This seems to be a fairly common problem, and I’ve seen other posters on the Nokia support website with similar problems. Check my profile to find my posts on this issue. I can only connect to the phone as a file storage device, so I can drag and drop files to/from the phone, but I can’t do the backup/restore function or other useful Nokia PC Suite or OVI suite tools.

The folder structure used when connecting from a PC is unnecessarily complex. When I connect, I normally want to find my recent photos or sound clips. But the directory structure that appears is very complex. To find the most recent photos, I have to go down 3-4 levels. If some of the photos I was were taken in a previous calendar month, these are in a different folder. Several times I have disconnected my phone, only to find that some of the photos I want are left on the phone, because they were taken in a previous month.

Usability

When I use ‘Save to contacts’ to save a number to my contact list, it prompts me for ‘Name’. It actually means ‘surname’, but it doesn’t tell me this. I have to remember to enter the surname only, and then enter the first name by editing the contact.

It is difficult to get a photo that works well as a wallpaper photo. For many of my photos, the menus across the top of the screen block key parts of the photo. It would be really nice if there was an option to resize the photo within the available space, instead of having photo blocked by the menus. When I set a photo as my wallpaper photo, it would be helpful if it was moved or flagged in some way, to remind not to delete or move the photo.

When I switch on the phone after losing battery power, the phone does not do the little vibrate buzzer that happens when I switch on the phone at other times. Just a small inconsistency with no apparent reason.

The ‘screen flip’ that occurs when I turn the screen from portrait or landscape when browsing is just too slow. It takes maybe two seconds to respond, which is quite annoying.

Applications

The radio application that came pre-installed on the phone is unreliable. The radio gets muted out for approx three to eight seconds on a regular basis. The sound just cuts out and then comes back after a few seconds. This happens at a range of different locations, so it is not dependant on signal. It happens both with headphones and speaker in use.

The GPS facility just doesn’t seem to work for me. Again, I’ve posted this on the Nokia support site, and a few other people seem to have the same problem. I don’t have a data contract, so I don’t want the GPS to connect over the data network. But I would have expected that I could use the GPS when within wifi range. It seems not.

Games

The Games that come pre-installed are terrible. I’m not a real gamer, and just use games occasionally, just to kill time, but the ‘Bounce’ and ‘RT GR’ games do nothing for me at all.

Making and Receiving Calls

When I make a call from my contacts list, it asks me to choose between video call and voice call. I’ve never made a video call in my life. I’m pretty sure that the Irish network doesn’t support it. So why do I have to choose this every time. Surely there could be a global setting for this.

When I make a call, it pops up a message ‘Active Diverts’. I don’t know what this means. Why does this appear for every call? This kind of technical message just confuses the vast majority of users, and creates a barrier between users and the phone.

There is no facility to set up a group logo for a contacts group. This facility used to exist on a previous Nokia phone, and was very handy for quickly distinguishing between family/work/club contacts. There is group ring tone, but no logo.

Good Stuff

Camera quality is great – I particularly like that the automatic rotation of video clips, depending on what way I hold the camera when shooting.

The photo viewer is nice, with good zoom capability and easy flicking to next or last photo.

The speech synthesiser which announces incoming calls is great, particularly when I’m cycling or driving.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sentimentGX4

Re: Lots of reasons why my Nokia 5800 Xpress Music sucks

First and foremost, you should update to the latest firmware if you're not on v51.

Browsing:

Depending on the version, Opera browser does crash or freeze or a bunch of other issues. However, Opera 10.1 beta 2 is working very well. Make sure this is the version you are using. If you are still experiencing issues (and not loading a huge, data hungry website), I recommend soft resetting the phone.

http://my.opera.com/operamobile/blog/2010/09/29/opera-mobile-10-1-beta-2-for-symbian

As for the wifi, you have to remember you're on a cell phone. You can't expect the device to have the same reception capabilities as your laptop. -.-

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Complainer

sentimentGX4 wrote:

First and foremost, you should update to the latest firmware if you're not on v51.

Browsing:

Depending on the version, Opera browser does crash or freeze or a bunch of other issues. However, Opera 10.1 beta 2 is working very well. Make sure this is the version you are using. If you are still experiencing issues (and not loading a huge, data hungry website), I recommend soft resetting the phone.

http://my.opera.com/operamobile/blog/2010/09/29/opera-mobile-10-1-beta-2-for-symbian

As for the wifi, you have to remember you're on a cell phone. You can't expect the device to have the same reception capabilities as your laptop. -.-

Thanks for the suggestions. I've installed that Opera browser, and it does seem to be remembering my bookmarks and start page settings so far, so that's a good start. It did crash once on me.

Re, the wifi - it's not so much that I'm expecting brilliant performance. I'm expecting consistent performance. Why does it not see the network one minute, and then see my wifi network a minute later, in the same location?

It seems like I'm stuck in firmware upgrade hell. I tried installing and running the Nokia Software updater, but that isn't seeing my phone - presumably for the same reason that Nokia PC Suite can't see my phone. I tried updating on the phone via *#0000# - that is trying to connect via a data connection, which I don't have - so it is failing. I tried setting up a new server profile using the details on this thread, but it won't let me save a server profile with server ID of Nokia, telling me that a server profile already exists with this ID, even though there is no other profile visible on the phone.

It really shouldn't be this hard :smileymad: I'll try the Software Updater from a laptop in work tomorrow, and see if that works.

All other comments and suggestions welcome.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

1. You can remove the prompts on the browser whenever you use it by editing its settings to simply automatically connect, but that would divert it to your mobile connection. Furthermore, it seems that your stuck on old firmware, and all your browser issues arent present on mine with the latest firmware.

2. I use Ovi Suite. Transferring photos from phone to PC takes one click.

3. Saving to surname in contacts AFAIK happens when the contacts are saved to SIM. I dont know about you, but whenever I save contacts, the phone always gives me both the first name and last name fields to fill up.

4. Screen rotation would take variable time depending on your current RAM usage on the phone. The less RAM you have free, the slower it takes.

5. If you are not using the A-GPS function on the GPS, it would take like a day of getting the first ever fix before you can use it. Many people who use the phone without A-GPS and network connections needed to leave the phone on a windowsill overnight just to get the first fix and have the phone be able to acquire GPS signals in under 5-10min. There are also a lot more quirks in using the GPS without network connection.

6. As for games, that's why Ovi Store exists.

7. In making a call, simply highlight the number you want to call and hit the green button. It would make a voice call immediately.

8. Active diverts would likely mean a network setting on your SIM, where the numbers calling you while you are on the phone are diverted to somewhere like a voice mail box. It has nothing to do with your phone itself.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Complainer

Thanks chanchan. Lots of good suggestions there, and I have some good news, and some not so good news!

chanchan05 wrote:
1. You can remove the prompts on the browser whenever you use it by editing its settings to simply automatically connect, but that would divert it to your mobile connection. Furthermore, it seems that your stuck on old firmware, and all your browser issues arent present on mine with the latest firmware.

The firmware does indeed seem to be the big problem. I managed to install Ovi on a work laptop and connected to my phone from there. I did the firmware upgrade, and the browser is much, much more stable as a result. It doesn't crash, or at least, hasn't crashed over a few days of fairly steady usage. The unnecessary prompts on connecting are still there, and I don't have the opportunity to use settings to avoid these, as I use wifi networks, and not the GSM data network. 

But there is now a new problem with the browser interface. The newer version of the browser has an auto-hide feature, so that after a second or two, it hides the browser controls, and leaves an arrow superimposed over the bottom right of the webpage. To get at the browser controls, you have to hit the arrow first. So know, I have to hit this arrow for every single operation within the browser. To do a simple 'back' to previous page, I now have to hit the arrow, and then back. To get to my bookmarks, I have to hit the arrow, then the menu, and then bookmarks.I shudder to think how many extra clicks on this arrow I will be making on this phone over its lifetime of use. I can see that for some people, it might be useful to dedicate that extra space to displaying webpage instead of control. For me, I'd far prefer to have the controls, but I don't see any setting to switch off the auto-hide feature.

I've also has some problems with clicking links on some webpages, particularly Flickr. It basically seems to ignore quite a lot of clicks.

chanchan05 wrote:
2. I use Ovi Suite. Transferring photos from phone to PC takes one click.

I'll be able to use OVI in work now, so the single click transfer will be great. I'll try reinstalling OVI or PC Suite at home, and see if the firmware upgrade has fixed the problem with connecting in PC Suite mode from home.

chanchan05 wrote:
3. Saving to surname in contacts AFAIK happens when the contacts are saved to SIM. I dont know about you, but whenever I save contacts, the phone always gives me both the first name and last name fields to fill up.

Thanks for the explanation. I've changed my setting to save to phone, not to SIM. So I now get prompted for forename/surname for new contacts. Still, they could easily have prevented this.

chanchan05 wrote:

4. Screen rotation would take variable time depending on your current RAM usage on the phone. The less RAM you have free, the slower it takes.

Thanks for the explanation. How can I check what RAM is in use? 

chanchan05 wrote:
5. If you are not using the A-GPS function on the GPS, it would take like a day of getting the first ever fix before you can use it. Many people who use the phone without A-GPS and network connections needed to leave the phone on a windowsill overnight just to get the first fix and have the phone be able to acquire GPS signals in under 5-10min. There are also a lot more quirks in using the GPS without network connection.

Thanks. Leaving it overnight seemed to work, so at least now I'm able to track my location on Google Maps. There does indeed seem to be a few more quirks there, so I'll need to spend a bit of time to understand what works or what doesn't work for me here.

chanchan05 wrote:
6. As for games, that's why Ovi Store exists.

7. In making a call, simply highlight the number you want to call and hit the green button. It would make a voice call immediately.

Thanks - good suggestions. Still, it would be nice to have a setting to switch off the video call option.

chanchan05 wrote:
8. Active diverts would likely mean a network setting on your SIM, where the numbers calling you while you are on the phone are diverted to somewhere like a voice mail box. It has nothing to do with your phone itself.

Yes and now. Yes, this is a network setting, but it's not true to say that the message has nothing to do with the phone. Somewhere in the phone OS, somebody has written a bit of code that says something like "If this network setting is on, then display 'active diverts'". This is classic tech-centered approach, and is a long way off the kind of user-centered design that Nokia often boasts about. They are displaying a meaningless error message to users, and this is what creates barriers between users and their technology.

Thanks for all your help.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

1. Well, that's the new browser. I would suggest you use Opera Mini instead. Doesnt have flash, but if you dont need flash, its really great. I use it like 90% of the time over the default browser, especially since it has tabbed browsing.

2. I am not sure how they could easily prevented the saving to surname part, since the SIM memory on reads one line for names, unlike phone memory which reads multiple lines. The only difference that could have been done was for SIM memory contact names to be read as first names instead of last names.

3. For RAM usage, try RAMBlow from Ovi Store. I cant remember if there is a free lite version, as I am using Memcheck, which you cant install if you dont know how to sign apps (If you do, go ahead and search for it). On around 30mb free RAM (I have a number of background apps running), screen rotation takes usually less than a sec, I also have theme effects turned off.

4. Google Maps uses an internet connection, so I would suggest you use Ovi Maps. Its free anyway. Basically the onboard GPS would only be able to retrieve your location within 10min if you opened it less than 5km from where you last closed it. Greater than that, It would take anywhere from 15min to 1hr or even more before it gets a fix.

5. I am not sure about you, but I like knowing if my calls are getting diverted to voice mail or somewhere. Its a matter of preference.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
iseebird

Thats why I made the switch from the Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic to the Nokia N8.

Please use plain text.