Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Low on phone memory in nokia n8

Advisor
saubhagya88

Low on phone memory in nokia n8

hi,

recently i updated my nokia n8 maps 2.0, and my phone memory has seriously shrunk.

i have deleted al msgs and mails.cache and cookies too. how do i get my memory back?

need help

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: Low on phone memory in nokia n8

saubhagya88 wrote:

How do i get my memory back?

Unfortunately loss of 20MB of phone memory seems to be the "norm" for Nokia Maps Suite 2.0!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
nev55

Yeah and no way back once installed. does not even show up in the installed apps any more !! nice one nokia !!!.why the 14gb E memory then they install by default to C ( plus its hidden too ). I have 102 mb left on C out of 256mb. no major apps really installed.have contemplated a hard reset an reinstall of the few apps im running batt monitor , dab radio, sleeping screen but to be hosest dont think its gonna make that much of a gain in the memory status !!.

The hard pill to swallow is the Maps 2.0 is what is offered to n8 users on belle from nokia store, well unless you live in London  that transport part of the app aint much good when one lives in a small town the north east of england . the option to non install that part  or a choice of city/cities  wud av been a considerate option. instead we get the gr8 memory eater called Maps 2.0 when we only have 256 mb in the first place...not the 512mb of more recent models.

Finally wud a format an reset an clean install be worth the effort ?? my phone is running on o2.

thanks guys

Neville

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi,

I faced the same problem of low phone memory after installing Nokia maps suite 2.0. My free memory came down from 101 MB to 86 MB.

The *#7370# (or 'delete data and restore') option fixed it for me. It DID NOT DELETE the new maps installed (amazing, right?) and still gave me 129 MB of free space. After restoring my backup and performing all installations again,I now have 108 MB free space in my C: drive.

Try the delete data and restore' option, you may get lost space back provided you dont mind performing all installations again.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
nev55

Hi Zainsul,

Thanks for your comments and advice on the reset options !. Interesting to learn that the reset does not remove Maps 2.0. it wont i suspect because its " burried " for want of a better word deep in the denied access area of C/drive of Belle, hence it not shown any where in installed apps as it was with Anna ect.

Considering the few apps i have installed and the fact that Batt Monitor 3 flatly refused to install to E sleeping screen was a fight to get onto E but managed  i ll just be careful in future and watch my memory levels.

Shud nokia be observing this post Why the use of C for maps ? when there is 14 gb sitting there available ??? and most of us have an F card fitted for music pics vids ect .

Another major update to Maps from Nokia labs ect featuring more major cities ect an i get the feeling this phone wont have enough C drive left to operate as intended or even operate at all. This swollowing of C drive NEEDS TO BE ADRESSED NOKIA !! pls.

neville

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
hpholm

[ Edited ]

@aspergerguy: Nokia Belle should have built-in "house cleaning" routines to take care of this, running every few days, or maybe once a week, to bring back lost space from installing the new Maps version? - So wait a couple of days and see what happens?

Anyway, with 75MB or more left on C: there is no reason to panic yet. I get nervous tics when the C: free space drops below 50MB and panic only when it drops below 25MB. :smileysurprised:

--

Hans

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi nev55,

Surprising to hear that Battery monitor did not get installed to E drive. It installed on E drive for me without any problem.

You will find lots of complaints for your issue of allowing applications to be installed on the mass memory, especially social and maps. These are large applications which use a lot of C drive space.

Same goes for emails. I don't see any reason why emails cannot be downloaded on the mass memory instead of the phone memory. Lets hope Nokia provide us with a solution soon.

Zain
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I have some bad news. My phone memory dropped to 88 mb from 108 mb without any activity/installation at all. There is a dedicated thread for this issue and i am also a victin of this problem now......... My formatting and installing everything again went a waste..........

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
nev55

Thanks Guys, for your agreement on this issue its pretty scary when one stops to think about further map updates for large cities to come from Nokia as im sure they will !!!!. :smileyindifferent:

Yeah guys as you know dont have allot installed in way of apps but Batt mon 3 wud hell as like install to E its sits there now working ok i may add in C drive. maybe an o2 thing or summit on phone tried enless to save it to E but point blank refused to go anywhere but C !!!.:smileymad:

Any way lets hope Nokia give an spend this some of there precious time to solve this issue an finally get it into the bigger drive E on our phones, and stop hiding it in a folder on C  that by there clever techno s can hide from us pure simple mortals. if they clever enough to do that then the E drive install shud really be a walk in the park for them.

Come on nokia yeah london an the like are natural cities to have installed but at least give some of us the option chance to decide if we want or ever gonna need it esp if you dont live in London an use its transport utilities ect ect you may well av gone an given us Hong Kong ! sure it wud have same memory eating capabilty !! and i suspect most of us in UK wont be going there too on a daily / weekly basis.

The debate needs a solution Nokia or do we all jump ship and follow the like sheep to APPLE !! 

neville

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
nev55

Zainsul,

Memory still stable at 103 mb so not suffering loss with out install as you have stated. thats not to say i wont start of coarse ! and if i do then the only culprit can only be maps 2.0 cos i aint installed anything since and as you know av minimal apps installed any way.

Have read the other disappearing memory post fully through, it beggers belief !!!!

neville

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JoeFishman

I'm at 16MB on C on my N8 - any ideas please?  After having this on my ole N86, starting to re-consider buying the 808 as even though it has twice the C drive, it also has FP1 which uses yet more C drive.  Agree that putting maps to E really is a must.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Having the same problem on N8/Belle. Don't have very many apps and all are loaded to E: where available.

14GB free on E: and only 20MB on C:. Needelss to say the phone runs VERY slowly at times. Tried a full backup and restore but its back to 20MB free. Music and pictures are directed to E: No idea what has eaten up C: but I need to get this resolved or get an Iphone quick!

NOKIA: If anyone is listening, its really bad that the phone doesn't do any housekeeping and allows itself to run down C: when there is 14GB free on E:!  Any chance of bringing out a patch for this so that the phone can manage its memory properly?

Please use plain text.
Sage
Tirza

JoeFishman wrote:

I'm at 16MB on C on my N8 - any ideas please?  After having this on my ole N86, starting to re-consider buying the 808 as even though it has twice the C drive, it also has FP1 which uses yet more C drive.  Agree that putting maps to E really is a must.

My N8 C: memory was at 25 Mb. Try to manually check all installed apps in C: (Settings - Installations - Already Installed) and delete any unneeded apps in C: (reinstall in E: or F: if you do use them).

I deleted Social, Communicator, Chat, Shazzam, and few other apps that came with Belle and installed in C:. Now I have 45 Mb free in C:. All apps (including HD games) seems to work fine, only Opera Mobile v12 refuse to load.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Found a great link on one of these threads ( sorry - cant remember name of originator to credit him/her)
Anyhow one tip was to delete the email mailbox, leave for 10 mins and then recreate it. *** I have just reclaimed 51 MB - total of 71MB free now!!! ***
Seems that nokia mail collects things over time and it just builds up!
Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

Yes have a look at your email settings for how much you're keeping and weather you need more than just headers.
I'm down to just over 40, having just installed the MS apps, haven't noticed any negative effects yet but the jury is out on tne MS stuff, seems to be big chunk of C for little gain.
N95 (RM159) V31.0.017, N8 (RM596) Belle 111.040.1511
Please use plain text.
Sage
Ngwangwa

Hi all,

Nokia must do something about the low phone memory on the Nokia N8-00. Why did they remove the option of storing messages on the mass memory and why are emails stored on the phone memory instead of mass memory? Temporary files stored on C: Private should be deleted by the phone itself instead of using means that will be harmful to your phone and void your warranty i.e Hacking. Nokia do something about this shrinking phone memory on the Nokia N8-00 yet all the applications are installed on mass memory other than the applications that are part of the Nokia Belle OS. I hope that this will be rectified by the next software update that Nokia will provide for the Nokia N8-00. Concerning Maps Suite 2.0 I wished that Nokia could completely remove the previous version of maps to free phone memory and install the latest version that will be replaced the free memory lost during installation phase instead of eating 20 MB more from the phone memory or they make a fix to Maps Suite 2.0 that will install completely on mass memory. Concerning Microsft Apps I wished that Nokia could fully make it install on mass memory rather than installing parts of it on phone memory and mass memory that stills ends up eating 20-15 MB more from the phone memory.

Many Nokia N8-00 users who are running Nokia Belle have not updated or are rather afraid to update to Nokia Maps Suite 2.0 and Microsoft Apps because of the fear that their phone memory will decrease rapidly causing the device to become unresponsive or slow affecting the overall performance of the device. I wish that Nokia will overclock the CPU speed of the Nokia N8-00 to make the device a bit faster than it is.

Ngwangwa - Six Million Ways To Die Choose One
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Jehovah_Netto

Same thing here... Very few apps, Whatsapp mainly, and I am bleeding c memory steadly. And whats worse, the problem is around for quite some time judging by the posts on the net, looks like no help is comming.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
unlike

Ahaha.. same happened to me.. the C memory is vanishing every minute.. And this is happening even as I start to delete things.

Oh well,  my brother just upgraded to Nokia 808 from N8.  But after observing this vanishing memory.. I think I should just stay away from Nokia.  Heck, I'll just carry a separate digicam than suffer through this vanishing memory and sluggish software.  It's time for Samsung S3...(too bad,  I've been a NOkia user for a long time.. 5800, n73, n86, n8, and the smaller ones)..  N8 will be my last NOKIA! Bye Nokia..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Jehovah_Netto

I did the delete mail box process, got 5 mb back and didn´t restore it yet. I keep on losing memory, but on a lower rate. I can´t tell how frustrating it is to have 12 gb idle and fight over mere 5 mb as great prize. Nokia has a great product, but I supose this kind of problem AND THE COMPLETE SILENCE will keep on driving costumers away.
Please use plain text.
K8S_84

[ Edited ]

Hi, My phone currently only has a maximum of 1.8MB left on C: and keeps dropping all the time, right now i've got 6.0kb:smileyfrustrated: suffice to say I can't do a lot with it right now, no memory to receive messages or go on internet or anything else.

I don't have any emails, messages, pics or videos on C: only got WhatsApp really not many apps at all but they are on E:

Following the Belle update, it wouldn't let me download latest Maps, didn't have enough memory at the time tried numerous times(I think I had 30MB at that point - so it's still sat there waiting to be downloaded)

Now as I am writing this it has just started doing a long buzzing sound and turned it's self off and won't come back on :smileymad:

HELP!!!

EDIT: Got it back turned on thankfully & now I have 58.0kb

Please use plain text.