Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Memory cards for N8

Counsellor
Patje1968
Accepted Solution

Memory cards for N8

Hi,

Does anyone knows if you need to purchase a special type of Micro SDHC-card for the N8 or will any card just work fine on it?

Thx. 

N8-Wizard !!! Click the white star if you are happy with my help !!!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: Memory cards for N8

[ Edited ]

Any type will be fine as it accepts any capacity or type of micro SD and SD-HC cards.

What you should consider is brand and class rating. It's better to buy known brand names as many no-brand card or cheap cards from ebay can be unreliable.

As for class if you are planning to record HD video to it you should buy a class 4 (or greater) card. Class 2 cards can be a bit slow for that purpose.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Patje1968

Thx a lot, this is excactly what i needed to know, much appreciated :-)

N8-Wizard !!! Click the white star if you are happy with my help !!!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mandeep1803

Here is one of the best cards avialable at the moment:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036V9AGU/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A29UNH1ZA819PW

Its a class 10 (10MB/sec speed minimum)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Class 10 is a bit overkill for a mobile phone, you won't get the benefit of the extra speed it offers. If the class 10 is the same price as a class 4 or 6 then it's worth considering but it's not worth paying extra for.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mandeep1803

So do you think class 6 would be good enough?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

More than good enough, class 4 is acceptable, class 6 gives a little boost over that but generally not used to it's full potential so class 10 would be a waste (unless same price as a lower class card).
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mandeep1803

Cool. Thanks a lot! That saves me about 65 bucks!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Happy to help :smileyhappy:

I've been using a 16gb Lexar class 6 card for the last few months and found that to be a fast reliable card at a good price. Might be worth looking at if available in your countries.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
whatsinaname

Right!!!!

I think everyones talking B********S because here's the exact details for the cards and what does work and what seems not to work.

However I have 2 cards one for my lad one for me! 8Gb class 4 for his C6 and a 16Gb class 4 for my N8, neither work in my N8! They are recognised however if I try and use view albums the checking media goes on for ever if a series 4 card is installed no matter what capacity!

Incidently the 8Gb is a scandisk SDHC the 16Gb is a Kingston SDHC

Now! If i fit the 256Mb standard Micro SD from my Nokia slide the phone recognises it and allows viewing of the albums after a short refresh of the albums???

So whats the crack guys!!!

listing of card capacities and Approximate performance:

Speed Class Rating

The Speed Class Rating is the official unit of speed measurement for SD Cards, defined by the SD Association. The Class number represents a multiple of 8 Mbit/s (1 MB/s), and it measures the minimum sustained write speeds for a card in a fragmented state

The following are the ratings of some currently available cards:

• Class 0 - These cards do not specify performance, which includes all legacy cards prior to class specifications.
  • Class 2 - Minimum of 2 MB/s performance. Lowest speed for SDHC cards.
  • Class 4 - Minimum of 4 MB/s performance.
  • Class 6 - Minimum of 6 MB/s performance.
  • Class 10 - Minimum of 10 MB/s performance.

Even though the class ratings are defined by a governing body, like × speed ratings, class speed ratings are quoted by the manufacturers but unverified by any independent evaluation process. In applications that require sustained write throughput, such as video recording, the device may not perform satisfactorily if the SD card's class rating falls below a particular speed.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
skinzzy

Class 4 is plenty good enough for hd video on n8, dont bother with any lower class or cheapo cards from china off ebay, and also from experience with the n8 i would recommend no to format the card in the phone, just use it straight from the packet, as the n8 makes its own folders on the card as soon as you insert the card in the n8, i paid £20 for an integral class 4 microsd from ebay  proper card in orig retail packaging

before that i bought a 32gb sandisk copy from china off ebaY FOR £7 and had no end of problems with it , formatted it all ways, on the pc, on the phone and even with an sd formatting prog for the pc

theres a reason why a brand  proper legit 32gb micro sd is around £60 and a **bleep** fake off ebay is £7,   and it aint the retailers trying to rip you off

I have a class 4 32gb sd card in my sony hd camcorder i  shoot  1080p hd video at 24mbps and never had a prob with a class 4,  i cant see how a class 6 8 or 10 would be of any more benfit in the n8 apart from accessing media from the card faster,

regards   chris

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
MontyN95

It should prob be worth mentioning that if you don't plan on recording to the SD card, then any card will do! The onboard 16GB is really quick and don't think it can be matched even by a class10 card on the N8.
So you should simply use your mem card for storing your music and videos and things that don't need fast write access to the card. Othere things like apps and video recording should be done to the mass memory.
With this, you'll save yourself lots of $$$ as any class2 card will do. Even a £25 card on ebay should suffice (I think)
Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

This seems to be a good buy at the moment - 16GB, Class 4 (as recommended by Nokia) at app. £20 inc delivery.  Whilst I agree totally with Monty, at this price it seems worth going for the Class 4, allowing you the flexibility if you want it.

Kingston Class 4 16GB Micro SDHC card

My current phone - Samsung Galaxy Note
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
MontyN95

16gb yes but when you're talking about 32GB, then a sandisk or kingston class4 is at least £70!!
Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

Agreed, Monty. I would never pay that, which is why I posted the details of the 16GB at the very reasonable price of £21 including postage - almost half the RRP - some sites have it listed at over £40!

My current phone - Samsung Galaxy Note
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Arkam

Hmm: I need advice from you All

I want to buy this

Class is 6

Seller Rating: 100 percent

Mem: Thirty two gb

Prince: twenty five pound

what u all say?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Micro-SDHC-32GB-Memory-Card-%20--Adapter-,-Class-6_W0QQitemZ180655951093QQcmdZ...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
slowfiddler

Do not buy flash memory from eBay, period.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Arkam

hmm alternatively can u please send a link for a good health and solid

san disk thirty two gb micro sdhc card ! which should be class six or above

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sammigiggs

excellent answer, just what I needed to kinow, thanks alot my friend, am quite wiser now:smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Sage

I have a MicroSandisk San32GB

I bought is off Ebay.  I suspect it is fake

It works sporadically - it will never copy over very large files (10+) - it will fail.

When content is copied over - it may say it is the right size, but on play back it says 'file corrupt'. Occasionally some work.

OF course for $20 what do you expect.

Just my experience.

VeePee

Please use plain text.