Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Micro-usb and charging problems on N8 and E7?

srfmktg

Micro-usb and charging problems on N8 and E7?

I am having trouble with my phone N8 with connecting to PC for synching and charging.

This is my 2nd phone and I just got it back today and having the same problem and very frustrated even after  I updated to Belle and even did a hard-reset?

Anyone else having the same problems?

Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

If you're having the same problem with 2 phones on the same PC maybe it is a problem with the PC. Try another PC and see if it recreates the same situation.
Also, with my PC, I can't connect my phone and printer together ; it doesn't recognize the phone until I unplug the printer.
Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Martin_TP

Try on another computer. Connected directly to computer or USB hub?

Please use plain text.
srfmktg

thanks but I have tried that as well even did hard resets.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
typhoon2000

Hi there,

The problem is one of the fundamental design of the Micro USB B socket/plug, as it is simply not durable enough to withstand usage for the duration of the use of the phone. Not so surprisingly, many manufacturers in the industry have adopted this system and are having the same problems (at least those that don't use off-standard connectors), ie, loose plug/sockets, poor contact made in the pins. HTC have had a few issues as an example.

Personally, I feel that Nokia should have used Mini USB B, similar to that used on PS3 controllers, as these would have been far far durable. - The problem is, like lemmings, they all signed up to a European agreement to have a standardised port - and this was the standard they chose. Unfortunately, this system is here to stay unless someone decides to see it's drawbacks and replace the standard with a suitable connector setup.

It's either that or Nokia NEEDS to make these ports much more tougher in future devices.

Long Live Nokia OS!
Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

Funny thing is now mine is starting to show signs of failing. With the USB-O-T-G lead it will now shake and disconnect causing errors. Still ok with the CA101 data cable though.
Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Mine has been loose for months and can take a while to be recognised by the PC. I have to jiggle it  around until the PC finds it.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
madMEDicine

hi guys....Im having the same problem but was dumb enough to change my charger twice....it worked briefly with both new chargers then dying off. Sometimes Usb charging happens, and I have to carry my laptop around to charge this phone....how I loved this phone all this year....!!
Also when I connect to my car charger, it simply says USB device not recogonized, and doesnt charge.....
i think this whole charging issue is a software problem....?
Thanks.
Www.madmedicine.co.in
Please use plain text.
Advisor
flake

My e7 had the same problem. I suspect it is because the micro usb port on the E7 (maybe n8 too) is made a tad bigger to fit the usb to go dongle. The slight play when connecting to the charger is enough to break it.

p.s. The e7 usb to go dongle can not go into my n9.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
typhoon2000

I've had mine replaced by Vodafone at their service centre.. The port was the problem (again) and that was only after 6 months of general home usage. There are no software problems with regard to charging on these phones that I am aware of. I predict I may need the port replaced again within this 24 month contract period again.
Long Live Nokia OS!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
megall69

So what are Nokia doing about this as we all seem to have expensive phones that are not fit for use, this charging the phone via the laptop is getting right on my nerves especially the fiddling around.
Always liked Nokia's but when it comes upgrade time in Aughust im going elsewhere.
Anybody any suggestions?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
typhoon2000

sadly nothing, as this is the industry standard now - and is a part of the reason why Apple resisted the move - the other part was mostly to lock users down to only their tech standards.

HTC have had the same problems and some Samsung devices have had issues but not to the same extent. It's just generally a very poor standard in all honesty
Long Live Nokia OS!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
msbionik

I thought I was the only one with charging problems! not! I have two brand new phones which I cannot use because they will not charge! E7 & N9! So I've been using my trusty N900 again. I'm calling nokia care today. hopefully they wont give me what they said last time: some bs!!!
Recent phones: N91, N95-4, 5800xm, N900, E7, & now the beautiful N9
Please use plain text.
rosariopasa

Having the same f.. problem with my E7. Changed the connector once when it was under coverage of warranty, worked a little and then the problem started again. Standard chargers don't work anymore, you have to go around with your laptop to charge the phone. Done this for some while but now I'm becoming crazy. It doesn't work at all also with the USB PC port. Getting really frustrated about that.. So nokia has some plan to make his customers happy again? Do I have to throw away my 370 Euros telephone because nokia chosen the bad standard of the connector?
I don't f. mind about why and what the standard was. I want my phone working and charging regularly when I connect it to the charger and not havin this f. frustrating situation. Does nokia have an answer on that? Can nokia send us home a working phone or do something that make us happy again???

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Hi Rosariopasa,

sorry to hear the problems you are having. If you are still encountering problems with your handset, then you will need to visit your local Nokia Care point and stress to them that this has happened before and you want a brand new replacement handset, not a (possibly in your case) refurbished one.

to locate your nearest Nokia Care point: http://nokia.com/support
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
rosariopasa

Thanks for answer me but the closest nokia care center is 500Km far from my home. Will nokia refund me the money and time spent to have my phone repaired or changed? Supposed that they will do that? 

Please use plain text.
rosariopasa

Have red in other discussions of this forum that MANY other customers have the same problem. This is a big problem for us which trusted nokia to provide us a "smart-phone" or "business-phone" like they call it but  which the connector sucks and many of us have to throw away their 300, 400, 500 or maybe also 600 euro "smart-phone" only because the connector sucks and only because nokia has chosen the bad standard of the micro-usb connector.

But we as customer want their own phone working as it should without caring about standards and **bleep**s like this. Nokia still doesn't answer to this big problem which will make many of us not to come back and buy a nokia phone.  Does Nokia have some plan to recover its credibility or to refund us of our hundred of euros of bad investment??????

I still have my nokia E7 connected to the pc keep trying to be charged, thing that never will happen again. A "smart phone" dead because of the connector.  Is this Nokia?

Please use plain text.