Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Mobile VPN for N8

Ex-employee (retired)
IsmoK

Hi efcso,

Would you tell a bit more of the problem you are facing or ask your IT to explain the issue.

You can send a PM to me or post here. We would like to look at the issue and figure out

how to help you with it.

Thanks,

Ismo

Please use plain text.
Contributor
qaisabrar

please send me the details of the vpn application for n8

IsmoK wrote:

Hi,

I can provide a copy of new VPN client for interested people. Just send me a private message.

Thanks,

Ismo

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
IsmoK

Hi qaisabrar,

You can download Nokia Mobile VPN Client for Symbian^3 products from:

http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/nokia-mobile-vpn/compatibility-and-download

Take a look at the supporting documentation at:

http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/nokia-mobile-vpn

If you have already a policy file (.vpn) for a previous version of Nokia Mobile VPN,

you can most probably use it also with Symbian^3. If you don't have such,

you can create one with Nokia Configuration tool or manually. The policy

file is just a zip file containing .pin and .pol files, which are text files. The policy

file can optionally also include certificate files. The policy specification is available at the

documentation page (link above) and describes the policy files in detail. If you need futher

assistance, just send a PM to me.

Thanks,

Ismo

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rednl

I tried to download the VPN software. But I receive a 404 page ( after agreeing to the license ).

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
IsmoK

Hi rednl,

Thanks for pointing out the problem. We have updated the SW but the link is not updated.

I will inform the web admins.

You can get the file directly at:

http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/global/phones/software/mVPN_43_110321.sis

The same license terms apply.

Thanks,

Ismo

Please use plain text.
Ashok1985

hi ismok
i really require your help
i have read the whole post but i havent understood any head or tail of it
my problem is
i have a n8 and i have downloaded nokia config tool, mvpn client for n8 , vpn policies zip folder ,and all the pdf
my question is simple i want to use my laptop's internet connection on my mobile and it can be either by wlan (adhoc connection..which i dont know how to configure...please help).. or vpn (which i dont know how to configure ..please help..) .. or any other way please help !!!!!! as most of us here face the same problem...
sincere help requested..
Please use plain text.
pilotbc90

I have witopia PPTP VPN service.  I have read many blogs support stuff etc no luck.  if you find a way to get VPN going please do post how you where successful.  I live in UAE, to fully unlock N8 potential and use skype, other VOIP programs, VPN is needed.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
more6384

hi i have an idea nokia should
now launch a phone called nokia
gamingx in this all features are
supported and it should have
java and symbian both and
buletooth v2.6 new symbian
which is in n8 and it should
have low price so can every
people can buy it ok plz do it so
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
enfogar

Ashok1985, you do not need vpn in your network scheme for connecting internet.

1. You should establish WiFi adhoc connection between N8 & laptop. (in N8 Settings->Destinations->create AP->...-> when propting for WLAN mode - select not an infrastructure mode->set all your settings for adhoc connection)Read manuals how to establish adhoc WiFi conn.

2. Your laptop should be connected to internet over cable (it's impossible for regular laptops maintain 2 WiFi connections simultaneously on same network adapter).And it WiFi card must be configured as adhoc. Read manual on yor OS.

3. If you are runing Windows - run Wirless N tetwork wizardo set up network on your laptop and tell rhere that other computers will get internet from it.

Something like that.

P.S. Better way is to call your computer friend for help. It's a bit coplicated for user who didn't understand what is tcp/ip and how it works.

Please use plain text.
reeeza

Nokia VPN really sucksss!
Please use plain text.
reeeza

Hi,

Would you please send me a VPN client. I have N8.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
reeeza

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Sorry I forgot to leave my email.

I'll be thankful if you send me VPN client. I have N8.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
twiggy

I have a Ph.D. in computer science, have been working in IT for 45 years, have been using Nokia phones for 20 years and have just spent two weeks, on-and-off, trying to get the Nokia VPN to work. How do ordinary people manage?

All my PCs connect to my work VPN using Cisco VPN client, so I have a working .pcf file for that.

I have consulted all the web resources I can find in my efforts to get it working. Now I'm at a point where I am getting an error 5120 when I try to connect, which seems to mean "DndTimedOut -5120 No response from DNS server".

I don't see anywhere in the documentation of the .pol file which could influence the use of DNS, so I'm at a loss to know how to proceed. Anyone got any ideas?

It seems to me that it should be possible to automatically convert a .pcf file to a .pol/.pin file pair. All the information required must be in the .pcf file. How about it, Nokia? 

Please use plain text.
reeeza

Hi,

I installed "Nokia_Configuration_Tool_6.1_06_01_2011" on my both X32 and X64 win 7. But after making the VPN client file it says" you have to have .NET 2 on your computer". I tried to install it from Microsoft but it said " this version included in your system".

Is there any way to I can do?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
enfogar

reeza, i cannot recommend NCT for configuring VPN. It's very buggy software.

You must delete all your .NET installations higher than 2.0, even 2.0 with SP

And than you can install .NET 2.0: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5

The other problem that i faced with is that after doing some changes in N8 config i can't use NCT: /t5/PC-and-Mac-Software/NCT-6-1-reading-settings-problem/td-p/940713

Other people also have problems whith NCT: /t5/PC-and-Mac-Software/nokia-configuration-tool-6-0/m-p/825043#M43563

The better and easiest way is to write text .pol file as described in "vpn policy specification": http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/nokia-mobile-vpn

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
enfogar

twiggy, without understanding your cisco settings there is hard to say somesing useful.

Many people use proptietary cisco vpn settings like "eazy vpn" or other wich work only with cisco vpn client. And i think that L2TP also will not work with Nokia (at least i don't know how to set up it on Nokia)

I'm successfully set up "ipsec with preshared key with xauth","ipsec with  user rsa certificates" and "with device certificates" betwen cisco router 2800 series with 12.4 IOS and 15.0 IOS. cisco IOS 15.3 have some bugs with dynamic ipsec tunnels.

I'm always try not to use proprietary vendor settings becase it lead to using proprietary vendor hardware or software.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
efcso

Let's be realistic about this. Nokia's VPN implementation choice (IPSec/IKE) and the Nokia Configuration Tool are not designed for normal people to use.

Firstly, the NCT is, as already mentioned, so buggy that it's nigh-impossible to use. It barfs if you have a computer with up-to-date .NET framework installed (as you rightly should have to be sure you have better useability and security for using almost everything in the world that uses .NET framework). This is an almighty stuff-up on Nokia's part and, truthfully, something that you would think might have been noticed a little earlier. NCT is also, for a normal person, impossibly complex to use even if you could (or would want to) down-grade your computer's software to get it working.

(Let us contrast end-user experience here. If you have Symbian^3, you need to download NCT, write your own VPN policy [provided you can get the software to work], download and install the Nokia VPN client to your phone, copy the VPN policy file to your phone and install it. If you have iPhone or Android, VPN client is already installed in your phone and, with a mere 5 steps, you can enter the VPN account details directly through the keypad on your phone. Which makes more sense for a normal person?)

Secondly we have the issue that I mentioned before - that of VPN protocol selection. Nokia have locked into IPSec/IKE and there is no alternative, nor have they given any indication that they would ever consider enabling any alternative. Yes, this is a top-drawer protocol for VPN users, however it overlooks the availability of IPSec/IKE for normal people. Here Nokia have overlooked the segment of the market that will make or break its future - normal people moving into the smartphone space for the first time. It is a Rolls Royce spec in a space where most people are in a Ford market.

(More contrast. iPhone has PPTP. Android typically has PPTP, L2TP and IPSec/PSK. These are standard in the OS - you can add extra if needed)

Thirdly, the previous dismissal by Nokia of normal people's desire to use a more available, or more useable, protocol led to one third-party developer coming up with a VPN client for the "lesser" protocols, reinforcing their position that it's not their (Nokia's) problem. Sadly that third-party developer has recently announced that they have no intention of developing a VPN client for Symbian^3. Realistically, why would they? Nokia have already announced they're abandoning this OS to move to WP7, thus torpedoing their users almost as soon as they've purchased this 'new' device, as developers are reluctant to expend time and money for something with an already-limited future lifetime.

So Symbian^3 users cannot access PPTP, L2TP or even IPSec/PSK protocols for VPN - only IPSec/IKE. For normal people, the fastest-growing segement of the smartphone market, it is almost impossible to access a VPN service that will support IPSec/IKE protocol. There are loads of companies that sell VPN accounts, but very few (I have been able to find one!) support IPSec/IKE as standard. There is no problem with PPTP, L2TP and some can do IPSec/PSK - but not IPSec/IKE, the only option available for Nokia/Symbian^3 customers.

Another contributor here recently bagged PPTP because it is "old tech". That might be true, and it might not have the bells-and-whistles of IPSec/IKE, but isn't something better than nothing? Is it not preferrable to enable normal people to at least have the basic functionality of even a basic VPN (especially in this age of increased - but not always secure - free WiFi hotspots) rather than leaving them with nothing?

Normal people do not always have access to the level of tech that is needed to implement IPSec/IKE, so they're completely ignored by Nokia. Nobody is interested in developing an alternative VPN client because (in their eyes) Symbian^3 is already a dead duck.

As I said before, these are the same normal people that are the future of smartphones, the fast-growing market that Nokia so desperately needs to capture in order to reestablish its market share, but they (we, I) are the normal people that Nokia have managed to overlook either by design or by incompetence - and will turn to Nokia's competitors in future if this kind of indifference continues.

Lastly, when you add this to the still-being-ignored-by-Nokia catastrophe of push email on the N8, is it any wonder so many people are binning their still-new N8s and going elsewhere, regardless of the cost? These forums are littered with posts from normal people (and even power users) begging for help for these fairly basic problems and getting nothing more than "we'll do something about it soon" - a soon which seems to really be a never. Instead of providing a reliable source of answers for problems, the forums are serving more as a shining example of Nokia's indifference to its customers.

Normal people, Nokia. Do you remember us? Might be time you started thinking and caring about us too...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Pipould

+10 ! I wonder why Nokia NEVER released a smile VPN tool ! Like PPTP and Open VPN compatible.... I could create a IPsec/IKE vpn, but **bleep** about ? It's just my home network... Nothing more...

Useless to precise, on android it's possible to do so...

N8 owner...
Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
IsmoK

To pilotbc90:

Hi,

I'll send PM to you and let's look at your issue.

Thanks,

Ismo

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
IsmoK

To reeeza and twiggy:

I'll send a PM to you too. Let's look at the issues.

Thanks,

Ismo

Please use plain text.