Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Mobile VPN for N8

Ex-employee (retired)
IsmoK

Re: Mobile VPN for N8

Hi,

You can download Nokia Mobile VPN Client for Symbian^3 products from:

http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/nokia-mobile-vpn/compatibility-and-download

Take a look at the supporting documentation at:

http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/nokia-mobile-vpn

To get the VPN policy configured in your device, you need to download Nokia Configuration Tool and use it to create the VPN policy and transfer the policy to your phone. Usually your company IT support can provide you with the information for the VPN policy.
http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/nokia-configuration-tool

Thanks,

Ismo

Registered Member
Mike_Hindsight

My VPN is a PPTP vpn, I've been told that the Nokia Client is a IKE/IPSec vpn and will not support PPTP, all this means **bleep** all to me! can anyone advise or help

Counsellor

[ Edited ]

To  Mike_Hindsight.

Unfortunately there is no PPTP VPN client available for Symbian^3 phones at this moment. The only available PPTP VPN client for Symbian is designed for S60 3rd and 5th edition phones.

Registered Member
carlosamigos

is the vpn app now available for general download from somewhere?

Ismok,

Can you provide the solution for using an RSA hard token?  I'm sure it would be helpful for everyone if you replied here rather than in a PM.

Thanks

Counsellor

Sad no PPTP VPN client for N8... i am looking for it too... do u think E7 will have support on it? Just curious

Ex-employee (retired)
IsmoK

To: nomisunrider

You need to know the GW configuration and set the parameters properly.  It depends on what kind of authentication scheme you are using. It could be CRACK or it could be PRE-SHARED with XAUTH. Also, you need to set the ID_TYPE correctly. Look at the policy spec for details:

http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/global/phones/guides/Nokia_Mobile_VPN_Policy_Specification.pdf

Thanks,

Ismo

Registered Member
bambaaacha

Ismo, in my company we have vpn and 200 employers have iphone. they setup and connect to company's vpn with 3 clicks. why the rest of us, who have nokia phones, have to be nuclear physists in order to set up the vpn. why we must read 1000 pages about the configuration tool? and at the end to change our phone with a blackberry or an iphone. i just wonder.

Counsellor

Totally feel your pain, same here. It should be easy just a few click and not have to go thru bunch of instructions and after that not even sure it will work. Very frustrating. That is why a lots of people go for iphone due to easy usage and not have to deal with all those hassle. Hope nokia get it.
Ex-employee (retired)
IsmoK

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback and comments. It is important to know about the problems that users are facing when configuring the VPN Client and the feedback will be used as an input for the SW development.

You can send an PM to ask about specific issues.

Thanks,

Ismo

Gustav18

[ Edited ]

Hi everybody!

I'm despaired too. Our company bought several new phones. I choosed the N8 and praised it as one of the best. One colleague choosed an HTC, our administrator has needed about 4 minutes to configure the VPN and connect via OWA to his mail account.

I use Nokias since 10 years, I'm a fan, I championed it and I think I'm not the standard user. But I'd never imagine that the VPN client by Nokia can be such a disaster. The integrated clients of the Samsung Galaxy and the HTC Desire HD do need an IP, a user and password. That's it.

And I still don't know if the browser of the N8 does support the OWA like the HTC and Samsung do. I expect the worst...:smileysad:

I'm really frustrated and hope Nokia will react soon with a new, easy and working client.

Otherwise ... my boss has already mentioned to replace the Nokias by HTC's. Bu I don't want. :smileyindifferent:

@IsmoK: Please push that issue.

Thx

Gustav

Counsellor

Glad i still able to access my office mail using https://owa......... 

if not, i already gave up.

Agreed..please make it happen nokia.

Counsellor

I thought I would give this an hour.

2 hours later I give up

This programmeNCT6.1  just won't work for me.

Followed the 82 page manual, put in the settings, saved and got green tick to say saved,

Used explorer to find file where I saved it in my docs, Its not there. Did search on PC *.vpn not found.

I now have to use ipod touch through Joikuspot to access VPN (took 2 mins to setup!!!)

Why make something so complicated compared to apple / android

Anyone got this to work - If so how long did it take?

Counsellor
enfogar

I'v done it in about a week (((

An ipsec tunnel with preshared key, xauth and intranet addrsses+dns from N8 to Cisco router 2811

I'm very sad that vpn settings can't be changed from N8. Only from NCT

Especially due to the fact that the NCT began to fall while trying to read configuration from my phone and at once on my two computers.

Now, I can not change the settings of VPN in my N8 ((((

Counsellor
enfogar

I am furious :smileymad:

OVI Suite didn't restore VPN settings and some SIP settings after reseting N8 into Factory defaults settings.

Backup your VPN policy settings with NCT !!!

Registered Member
raduci

How can be setup a VPN with group password and RSA tokens ? Some example configuration file ?

Ex-employee (retired)
IsmoK

To raduci:

You can send a PM to me and we can look at the issue. I think there is no generic answer to your question, i.e. more info is needed.

Thanks,

IsmoK

Counsellor
petri71

Hello Ismo,

Thank you for your work on VPN,  now it is my turn to try it. :-)

I am using witopia who used to have only pptp service but now they also provide Cisco Ipsec solutions for iPhone :

http://wiki.witopia.net/wiki/Installing_personalVPN-IPsec_on_iPhone,_iPod_Touch,_and_iPad

or for mac :

http://wiki.witopia.net/wiki/Installing_personalVPN-IPsec_on_Mac_OSX_10.6_Snow_Leopard

so I hope I will be able to make it work on Nokia !!! :-) 

The problem is that their system is pretty simple, you basically need a VPN gateway such as : ipsec.sfo.witopia.net and then an ID and PW and there is goes. But maybe it is possible if I configure it the right way.

So maybe you could help me to define all the datas I will need to ask them to know how to configure the VPN (IKE vs shared, etc) for Nokia.

I hope you can help me, and I guess I am not the only one...I know a few people who'll be happy to use their witopia account on a symbian phone.

thank you in advance for any useful info.

Petri

Counsellor
enfogar

Is makesis program will work for Symbian^3 in the same way as for S60 for installing VPN policy and certificates?
If yes, where i can get it for N8 ?

Ex-employee (retired)
IsmoK

To Petri71:

I'll try and let you know.

Thanks,

Ismo