Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: More Belle Experience

Counsellor
Road_Warrior

More Belle Experience

I've had two working weeks with Belle.  Here's some more feedback for you Nokia.

1. The upgrade process SUCKS.  You made progress with Anna, being able to do things OTA and keeping your apps and settings.  But Belle's Computer only upgrade?  It was buggy, error prone, and to get the upgrade clean I had to ditch all my apps in backup and hard reset the phone.
  2. Battery life seems to have been slightly better on Anna 25.008.  For some reason I can't figure it out for sure--one day it seems like Belle lasts forever, and the next it seems like it lasts 2 seconds.
  3. I miss being able to touch the battery icon to turn on power saving mode.  This was a great feature in Anna--why ditch it in Belle?
  4. The clock and calendar widgets SUCK hard.  Anna had that nailed with the combo clock/date/profile widget in a reasonable amount of screen space.  The Belle clock?  Too huge.  Trying too hard to look 'Droid and too Useless.
  5. I already mentioned profile switching, but let's talk about it some more.  So you took this away in Belle and it used to be on the front-page.  That's okay, you have this cool drag down status bar at the top that shows you a couple of cool pieces of information.  Including profile.  You can switch between normal and silent--WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DID YOU NOT INCLUDE ALL THE PROFILES IN THIS?!
  6. See Comment #5, except at the end, replace the all caps with this:  WHY FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT"S HOLY DID YOU NOT INCLUDE POWER SAVING MODE?!
  7. See Comments 5 and 6 and replace the all caps at the end with: WHY FOR THE LOVE ALL THAT"S GOOD IN THE WORLD CAN'T I ADD FUNCTIONS TO THIS NOTIFICATION AREA? 
  8. I see a lot of complaints about Belle and a lot of articles saying how to organize it.  . . .Despite my above complaints I have to say Belle was an improvement in many areas.  Stability (granted, I reloaded it three times or so and did a hard reset) is MUCH Improved--even over Anna. 
  9. The new slicker, more dense and modern layout ability is a big plus--though honestly I wasn't really dieing for more app space with Anna.  If you hadn't hosed the clock and calender notifications, it might be close to perfect.  Instead, I find myself wishing for Anna's clock and calendar notifcations in exchange for a few extra home screens.
  10. The default theme per usual Nokia, is horrible beyond words.  I highly recommend the Softtech_Evo_By_Atlantis Theme to anyone who wants rid of the horrible abomination nokia festered upon us.
  11. You tried too hard to be like both Android and iOS.  You **bleep** off a large portion of your most rabid fanbase with trying to be like the two new cool kids and ignored the fact that you were THE cool kid once upon a time.  Just being a little bit more Anna-like and I think you'd have been better off.  Heck, just keeping the notifications area/widget for calendars would have won you lots of praise.
  12. You did a lot right (waits for the audience to fall over) when it comes to navigation.  Belle is much better in many ergonomics areas.   Button's are spaced better, closer to where they should be etc., Why on earth did it take 3 releases of an OS to get to this?
  13. All the little tweaks with the apps were great.  Camera, mail, even the auto-rotation works better.
  14. Love the speed.  Belle seems MUCH faster that previous releases.
  15. There's two ways to orgranize Apps--home screens and "apps menu" I suggest you do both as a user.  I also suggest alphabetical ordering of apps. 
  16. Can I please have a percentage remaing app for the battery?  Nokia Battery Monitor 3 is never accurate.  It's hard to estimate my remaining usage looking at a picture.. I know somewhere that app is hidden under the OS itself, because sometimes it shows on shutdown. 
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gdavidf

Road_Warrior wrote:

I've had two working weeks with Belle.  Here's some more feedback for you Nokia.

***snip***

We don't have Belle on Vodafone AU yet, but I'm told it's on it's way...

I like my multitasking rather than "saved state multitasking" and the calendar widget has been very handy. I guess what I'm trying to say is your post has made me want to try some emulators before I install it on my handset (when available on VodaAU).

Are there any emulators of Belle avaiable on the webs, even something in browser would be fine...

Regards,

Dave

Former Psion 3a-5-5mx & Psion netbook (Symbian) user who had an E63, E71
Now an E7 casualty remembering the 8 replacement Nokia Orange (or was that Lemon?) 2140's I had in 1996...
Please use plain text.
Sage
bbnaco

Could you elaborate on "saved state multitasking"?
Far as I know, Symbian has always had TRUE multitasking.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gdavidf

bbnaco wrote:
Could you elaborate on "saved state multitasking"?
Far as I know, Symbian has always had TRUE multitasking.

Why? Symbian has had it since the Psion days...

Former Psion 3a-5-5mx & Psion netbook (Symbian) user who had an E63, E71
Now an E7 casualty remembering the 8 replacement Nokia Orange (or was that Lemon?) 2140's I had in 1996...
Please use plain text.
Sage
bbnaco

I am asking specifically about "saved state" part.
What is this "saved state multitasking"?
Please use plain text.
Sage
metal_might

agree.

1. CALENDAR WIDGET

2. CLOCK WIDGET

3. EMAIL WIDGET

all are sooper bleeped up in belle. otherwise all's well.

what is depressing is that even the latest FP1 has the same widgets!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

listing down a few more things i found in belle on my E7.

When the phone is set in power saving mode, runs outta juice and switches off, after switching it on i find that the big clock is not set as the screensaver(none is set) and the display brightness is defaulted.

As read  in a few reviews, in camera app a few settings can be applied by selecting it and then giving the ok button or clicking them twice.

The icons look wayyy too big in the menu.. anna was ok.. but would prefer smaller icons.

There are glitches while moving between homescreens with analog clock being used in a homescreen(generally when widgets have live changes like ticking in this case). When ever I access the homescreen there are glitches(not as bad as in the first case) but would smoothen out after the first swipe, guess this is to free up the media processor and thus some aid in backup. Guess can live wid this but would be better if something can be done

The browser becomes unresposive when loading, cant browse through the page while loading.

The battery backup is good and stable get around 2 days with min to average use and a day or so with average to max usage, but in 3G mode battery does drain very quickly.

I have observed this bug right from anna, if location tagging is set to off when taking pics(after flashing) the same is not reflecting in the camera app, have to set it again, believe is the same for other settings as well.

Message length is not visible when using the qwerty keyboard.

Sometimes in messaging the contact name is not displayed instead the mobile number comes up, a restart fixes it! Can't replicate it knowingly.

In general I am very much happy with belle than on Anna but these few things could improve it !

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cDubbleyoO

while Iargely agree, Nokia included a profile widget that makes changing profiles pretty easy. don't have to install it.
Please use plain text.