Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: My Nokia N8 is dead,can't turn on and can't ch...

Counsellor

Re: My Nokia N8 is dead,can't turn on and can't charging

[ Edited ]

The only real failure I see they made is not making a specific statement acknowledging either WHAT the problem was and some sort of contingency plan to let those who've defective units to either exchange or refund a handset that can't be economically repaired. After the N97, Nokia seriously needed to instil some confidence to there loyal and new customer base and as it's stands PR wise, there silence has been dumbfounding. I'd like to see the N8 be a success but only Nokia and what it's customers say about it can assure that.

@greycounciller , I certainly agree. The lack of real information about the nature of the problem and the way it has been fixed is frustrating for their current and potential customers and disastrous for their own reputation.

@noipv4, you should look for manufacturing later than week 47. The problem was admitted in week 46. However, as Nokia doesn't usually print manufacturing dates on their labels, and as you are the only one here that has such an indication, it's very probable that the week you see on your box is not the manufacturing date but the date that the device was received by your provider. So the real manufacturing date is even earlier.

Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

[ Edited ]

" What do we see today? It's still mere lottery! People still buying faulty sets. Some sets return from NCC unfixed. Some get working substitutes. People keep guessing: was it  45th week of production when things went wrong or earlier, or maybe later? And still silence from Nokia."

I know how you feel Mickita.

I just had a thought though about manufacturing dates.

I got a replacement set which is working fine.

Using Win7,  in the Windows explorer, it shows the folders in the phone.

Clicking on the "Mail for exchange" folde r> Admin_log1 text, it shows Mail For Exchange was installed from 20 9 2010 making it week 38. Would that be right?

Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

No, I don't think that it's manufacturing date.

This date shows when firmware of your N8 was let's say done, 'frozen' and then it's image was loaded to each N8 I think...

NOKIA please at least say to people how to check if N8 that somebody is going to buy is from faulty part of production or NOT!!!!!

I've seen that on the box on those white labels there is some code. I think that it's manufacturing date some kind encoded in it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JakeKok

I had my N8 now for approx 1 month no probs, suddenly after yesterday 19/12/2010 after taking it off charge it died and cannot be turned on. If you keep power button depressed for longer than 8sec it will vibrate 3 times and supposedly reboot when you switch back on however, I feel the vibration, but no screen, no startup. After plugging it in on PC via USB cable, it starts up, and I thought it was a once off software fault but it happened again this morning after I've already been on the road..No phone for the whole day... Not convenient.... Any ideas???

Read the other comments, but surely there need to be a self fix for this i.e.... Set to default settings or what...PLZ help...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Marv3L

The reason why Nokia is not telling people the real reason of failure is because all the N8 devices across the world were manufactured using the same techniques and same assembly line. and that means every N8 manufactured so far (or at least till mid november) is vulnerable to the issue.

Nokia said the reason is "the way we assembled the engines" and "this issue is not limited to a particular region". he also said that Nokia can not tell the exact number of phones that have been affected. That means the issue is global. and all the N8s has the potential to go dead any day. Some are going dead now, the till now working phones may also go dead in near future.

If media comes to know this officially from Nokia, there will be a huge shame on Nokia in the world media and there will be lawsuits from thousands of customers and that amount of bad publicity will affect the future device sells. thats why Nokia is not telling anyone the truth.

If you see the official Nokia statement about the issue, you will see that the video is not continuous. it's edited and many part has been cut out. I bet the information which Nicholas said on those sections revealed more details about the issue but Nokia trimmed those out.

Please use plain text.
axtenar

Dear All,

I am from Libya, I bought N8 about 2 days ago, at first the device was shutting down by itself for a couple of times and I had to restart it again manually.

a few minutes ago, the device shut down himself and won't start again !!! same as every single one complained about this issue.

tomorrow I am taking it back to the retailer. Nokia = fail.

I hope if there is any solution on how to fix this issue manually would be highly appreciated.

peace.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
slimboyfat45

im from india nd my replaced n8 also starting to give issues will i get a refund

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Wim55

HELP My Nokia N8 is dead,can't turn on and can't charge it HELP

Just received phone. Put in SIM card and turned it on, introduced basic data (date, etc.) and requested contact update from another phone (my old N97). Bluetooth connected ok, started and suddenly the N8 died (black screen), plugged in charger, but no charge indication. Tried hard reset (pushing ON key for 8 seconds), nothing happened. Left phone on charger one night,  charge light  does not turn on. Next morning hard reset resulted in 3 vibrations, nothing else, phone did not start.  Did contact seller who referred me to Nokia site. Contacted Nokia through the site, received a confirmation email, but no answer after 4 days.

This is really very disappointing!!! 

Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

That's tough luck Mickta. Owning an N8 is a bit of a hit and mix affair at the mo. I got a hit, you obviously didn't. The N8 is decent phone when you get a working model. Nokia support on the other hand haven't. Obviously, a persons choice of phone is personal. My advice would be wait til the new year and see the state of play. Or, buy from an online retailer and if you've a problem, return to your POS and demand a refund.
Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dcajetan

Guys dont try anything which could void your warranty.... I had the same problem, simply took it to the store i bought it from and they instantly and gladly replaced it...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Dear Greycounciller, the sole model that I was interested in so far was E7. It has been delayed - as usual, though. But I think those 'mockinbird' moderators have finally persuaded me to keep off Nokia in the future. Thanks to them and their corporate respect for clients :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

I see Mikta. I've had my fair share of run in's with them too. Reminds me of being stuck in the naughty corner. This isn't the only Forum. Enjoy your travels!
Please use plain text.
Advisor

OMG ...

Still no respond ??

sweet dreams NCC staff
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sat_chand

i am from india (Hyderabad) bought N8 on 7 nov ..just after 3 days of use it went dead there after it went to NCC for 5 times and to there material center( i don't know what exactly they mean by that) for 2 times still waiting for that coffin phone. adding insult to my wounds NCC service is very pathetic and also there customer service call center.

i think they should recall N8 phone ...and i swear i will never take a nokia phone and also not recomend others to buy any nokia phone. nokia company will suffer from this N8gate.

regards

satish chandra

Please use plain text.
aaa89h

Black Screen Of Death

WOW

After reading all posts

I counted more than 40 people with the same problem

and nokia hasn't make any thing about

mine died today after 3 days of use

and I thought about a cool name for this problem

we shall call it

"Black Screen Of Death"

anyways nokia care said that they will try to fix it or replace it soon

nokia N8 I'm not a proud owner of you anymore

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Wim55

Re: HELP My Nokia N8 is dead,can't turn on and can't charge it HELP

Found the following on www.nokian8forum.com (Re: Help DOA or battery problem)  : there is another three finger hard reset.

Push volume down - camera - menu keys. Than try again the power key for 8 seconds. On mine it worked after two trials. Could turn phone on, battery charger working and updated software. Did turn off a couple of more times, but could be turned on easily with hard resets with power key. Phone has been working fine the whole day, hoping it will stay so as still no answer from Nokia Care!!!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
slimboyfat45

i bought my n8 on 10/11/2010 then it went off and didnt come on and i sent it to the ncc they returned it to me a week later saying softeare problem  and two days later it went off again  and was sent to delhi head center.i had demanded a refund bt the ncc guy told me that take a replacement and i agreed as i was a loyal fan and user for nokia for almost a decade.........3310/3330 6600 n73 and now ive got this n8 unfortunately they gave me a replacement phone a brand new n8 which worked fine for a day then restarted randomly but didnt go off just restart issues....i have lost all good will for nokia.i have not got the product satisfaction for which i paid money and its a faulty product....i want my money back or nokias gnna have a lawsuit..ive given my n8 in yesterday for   "repairs" yesterday.....................
nokia u had your chance to try and win my good will back but u failed misrably that forget good will i hate u u dont deserve to sell phones the government should shut you down......

if any administrater is reading this please contact me and i will give u my nokia job number and prioritise this request as i will be sending you emails and i will be consulting with my lawyer some time soon.......i cannot afford to keep going to a ncc all the time,i have better things to do as i spend money to go to a ncc all the time and also my work keeps me busy and its only in my free time that i can actually go to the ncc this is affecting my performance at work  as it is VERY stressful and its also embaressing  as im the laughing stock of my collegues at work and my friend circle as i got 2 phones in a row that were defective from NOKIA...this is frustrating as 23thousand is still a big deal of money here in india......and i DO not want a replacement i WANT A REFUND.....i am aware that you are forums administrators here BUT i ALSO know THAT YOU HAVE THE POWER TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THE SENIOR MANAGEMENT OF NOKIA....i BELIEVE i do have a lawsuit on my hands i do not want to go ahead with this but believe me when i say this that i will if i have to as my money means more to me that it probally does to you.........

i regret that i was ever a loyal supporter and fan of this brand..and i even ude to defend nokia against trollers on gsmarena but just goes to prove how wrong i was to do so....

i believe NOKIA still has some humanity in them and will return MY hard earned money back as i do not even want a working N8 any more as I will never be able to trust that phone i will also suspect that it will break down i DO not HAVE ANY GOOD WILL LEFT FOR YOU......

I am sorry that a good company like yours has to stoop to such a low level where you have the AUDICITY to send me a DEFECTIVE REPLACEMENT

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Marv3L

@Slimboyfat45: No need to ask for a refund friend, please file a lawsuit against Nokia and demand rs. 50000 for all the trouble and harassment you had. these ignorant cheaters should learn a lesson.

also write to editorials of big newspapers like Times of India so that people who do not have regular access to internet/forums can also be aware of this fraud company.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sat_chand

+ 1

yes do file a lawsuit against nokia ...

they must learn a lession from this ...not because faulty phone but wasting our valuable time in NCC and customer care which is not even tollfree

regards

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

N8gate is coming!

[ Edited ]

Moderators that are all NOKIAns deleted 6 (six) of my posts, of which the main idea was a logical, natural request:

TELL PEOPLE, TELL YOUR CLIENTS THE TRUTH ABOUT NOKIA N8 DEFECT!

They answered by deleting my posts. They obviously can't reply because the truth is most likely ugly.  This is probably why E7 has been delayed.

Nokia guys! When N8gate comes after you, don't tell you were not adverted.

Your clients did their best to settle the scandal in a friendly way, now it's evidently time for lawyers.

Please use plain text.