Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: My Nokia N8 is dead,can't turn on and can't ch...

Registered Member
shoot2

Re: My Nokia N8 is dead,can't turn on and can't charging

yeah! IM DISSAPPOINTED TO NOKIA REGARD TO THIS N8 PROBLEM TOO... my n8 1 week just died and i could not even turn it on.. even on charging..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
SysDsnEng

Hi All,

I just want to give you a short wrap up of my Nokia N8 "story". I did xmit it to the official repair center but before I did a phone call and tried to talk to the lady explaining it will not help just to re-load all the basic firmware a second time, since the problem is in the HW.

She agreed. However the 'repair report' states that the firmware has been reloaded and a basic function test has been done.

Again after using the phone for another 12 hours, it died. This is really a **bleep** device. Ok let's take it and send it back for "repair" for a third time. I will repeat this procedure until I get a working phone or my money back.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Alvaro88

I got my phone back today, after 10 days at the NCC. They have changed the motherboard, and it has come with the latest firmware. Now it works wonderfully. It responds much faster than before. The bad thing is that I lost all my pictures; I have to reinstall the applications again, and set everything again.

I keep my fingers crossed, but so far, it is very good.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Roberto_Lim

Marv3l

New N8 phones does not have the death problem anymore, but they have another annoying problem: the purple screen. probably all the n8s manufactured in january have the problem. search in google for Nokia N8 purple screen problem.

I do not know, the number is not all that big, but in our local forum/market, the problem power keeps on trickling in.
It would be good if Nokia were to give firm details about the cause of the problem.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Spotter

[ Edited ]

Hi again.

I - finally - got my phone home again Feb 18th - 3rd time (they've had it at Nokia for 5 weeks - complaint), and  the papers from Nokia said, that there wasn't enough wrong with it, so I could get a new one - opposite from, what they told me several times. 

Not very smart though, since it just died again today, Feb 24th, meanwhile I was talking. All I have done with it, since I've got it home, is trying to put the pictures, a widget etc (which all disappeared after 1st time to repair) - the few things, I could put back in my phone again, and then I charged it, put it in my drawer - to check battery, but it didn't help much, since it died today, shortly after started talking. :smileysad:

I was told on phone with NCC - before my phone was send to repair, that I should have a new phone - that's the 5th time, I've been told so, but suddenly/again I can't get a new phone - sorry language, but wth is going on. I'm not pleased with buying a new phone, and 3 month later, I've even not have it for 4 weeks - it have been for repair for over 2 months. That's an easy way for Nokia to let the warranty 'fly away'.

Still - why do they then say, I shall have a new ? They also said from NCC (talked with them), that it was ok, and when I finally get it home, it dies, while talking. Most interesting after I got it home, is that there is an sms in the phone - outgoing, (and I couldn't send it either), and it wasn't in the phone, when they got it - I haven't deleted it, cause it looks like some IT-language -- just numbers, letters (with and without caps) etc. (I have family working in IT).... I still remember the number, it was send to (5 numbers), and I've not send it, cause I haven't had phone long enough to even do so.

I try to connect it to my laptop - usb, it don't find the driver for it at all -- same problem, as I had already the 1st time, it died for me. I've also tried to charge - in hope to just see something light up, but no - still dead -- though it still had a little over half power, before it died - 4 lines. And I've also tried to hold down the power for too long time -- it's totally dead.

Interested in, what NCC have to say to this, cause this would be 4th time for it to be repaired - and I can be patient, but not this time - this have gone too far.

Here we get the feeling, that Nokia are running around corners with us/my phone's problem, which could have been solved easily just by giving me a new, sorry, but I'm really annoyed now, and it seems like Nokia is running around corners with me (and other ppl with problems too), and I'm not in the mood to wait several weeks/months again to see a - hopefully working phone. :smileymad:

Buy a phone - be prepared not to have it home within warranty..........Just the feeling ppl get with this - leave the problems to the buyers, and don't help....Nice job, Nokia.

Please use plain text.
slick2u

No, your not on your own, i purchased two N8s whilst in Perth Western Australia, on 23rd December. Im now back on the east coast where i live and my wifes is down in Sydney at the Nokia care centre, it did as you said. and my other N8 does frustrating things as well. the srceen goes blank sometimes after dialing a call and stays that way, i can still talk and hear but nothing on the screen, after the person i have called, has hung up i am disconected, but still no screen image. after a couple of minutes it comes back on at the home screen.  i have had the same problem with recieving a call, the phones ringing but the screen has gone blank and i have no way of answering it. then today i thought i had a dead phone like my wifes, i made a call and they ended it, the screen went blank and stayed that way for around ten minutes, then as i was wishing i had purchased some other phone, it came back on, and again at the home screen.

Please use plain text.
slick2u

i have had this problem with one of my N8s, and have read on many forums that this is not an isolated problem, but a very common one.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Spotter

Hiya Slick2u.

So sorry to hear, that both of your phones are hit too - dead/acting crazy - that's just not the way to treat customers ( especially, when it's a wellknown, worldwide problem ).

I really hope, that you and your wife will get your phones working again - if Nokia 'wanna' make it, or better - get new phones instead, that is over the problem/runs smooth.

My phone was bought Nov 18th (in Denmark), so it is - like yours too, between the phones, that Nokia did lay the video out on web with - just weird, that they, when they know, which portion of phones is hit by it, can't  let ppl get a new, working phone instead.

And yes, the problems with the N8's are spread over several forums, not just in here, but all over the www, so that should tell much about - as you say yourself, that is a common problem.

It shouldn't be necessary to look far for Nokia to see, how many - here in their own forum, complains about problems with the N8.

Crossing fingers for you (and the rest of the "unlucky" N8-users all around the world), that there will be found a solution for this - once and for all.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

My N8 also died last week. I bought it from Amazon.de, but really I have little interest in getting a refurbished, repaired or new one. After reading all the user complaints it makes you think that the N8 is really flawed. I'm going to send it back to Amazon. I am curious what they will do. Preferably I get my money back.
Please use plain text.
mike125

[ Edited ]

My device just died as well.

Nokia N8 is an abomination but the Nokia support is even worse.

We're complaining all over this damn forum - but where's the **bleep**ing service?

Dealing with this device is a waste of time.

In case any of you geniuses suggest to

a) reboot the device

b) hard reset the device

c) try charging through AC source

d) try charging through 5V USB source

e) try using Pheonix

f) try this, try that

IT DOESN'T **bleep**ING TURN ON (GET IT?), NO USER SUGGESTED SOLUTION WORKS.

I hope Nokia gets sued for this - this is unacceptable service.

P.S. This device should be recalled.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

Your post will be deleted thanks to the P word you used which isn't allowed to be mentioned on this forum,

anyway this issue only affects a few of the initial batch of N8's and can only be resolved by returning to a nokia care point for a warenty repair,

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
donewithnok

What a joke and a waste of time and money this phone is (and I'm beginnging to believe the same for Nokia as a whole). Nothing but glitch after glitch since day one. I am such a fool for being loyal to Nokia especially after having to send my e71 in for a THIRD TIME and now they want me to pay for repairs.  For the few years I have avoided driod, bbry and apple as I felt Nokia stood for quality and customer service and was willing to pay extra for a good phone w/ these benefits. It also sucks all the good apps are available on all phones BUT Nokia phones. I will never purchase a nokia phone again. I advise everyone to avoid nokia. I'm sorry, but you've hidden behind your policies (the only thing that keeps you in business) and hidden behind your front line call centre staff who have no authority/discretion. All they are allowed to do is read nokia policies out loud and apologies for Nokia, then put me on hold.

Nokia, you were supposed to be the creme de la creme, but now you are rancid.

I will enjoy watching your share price collapse over the next few quarters and enjoy watching your market share dissapear. I will also do my very best to communicate my experiences w/ Nokia staff/polices/phones to all my family and friends, co-workers, teammates, waitresses/bartenders, blogs, social networks to ensure other consumers are aware of the current quality (or lack of) of nokia phones and their customer service.

I guess ill just use my first nokia from 1996 - amazingly, that one still works...but it doesn't have 3g! I'll just head to apple once and for all. They have great customer service.

You have ruined a good thing.

Sincerly,

No Longer Loyal Nokia Customer.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
SysDsnEng

Dear all,

yesterday I got my phone back from the third round of being "re-paired". However up to now it looks better. They did change the motherboard (mainboard) of the phone. I got a new MAC address too. Up to now, it seems to work as expected ;-)

I will keep you informed, if this will stay this way. Keep my finger crossed. Don't give up ask for an error free Nokia N8 Hardware.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
specialp

OK well if this only affects "a small number of the initial batch of phones" then why does the repair center just reflash my device?  Again I am sending my phone back for the same exact problem.  Now I have to ship it back at my expense yet again, amd wait a while to get it back.  One time is OK, but the second is not because they know my phone is defective.

Nokia was always known for reliable phones, and being ahead of the game.  Now I have to deal with shotty hardware, bad customer support that does not even really understand English, and junk software.  The browser which was promised to be updated is no different than the one that was on my N95 5 years ago! 

Me and my wife are (were) huge Nokia fans, and both have N8's.  Mine died 3x (one time it started working again days later) and hers died once.  Our previous phones  were: N95, E90... Then nokia started making junk...  N97x2 and N8x2.  We also had 2 N900s but sadly they dropped support for Maemo which was very promising.

I guess this is not a forum for rants, but I am extremely disappointed that a company I have bought about $5000 worth of unlocked phones from just does not care.  I have stuck with Nokia for a long time, I think that I cannot do it anymore.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jonesfr

I am on my 4th Nokia N8 since mid December.

I am just about to send it back and get a fifth one as it has the black screen of death like the others. It won't charge - won't switch on.....

When is this problem going to be solved?????

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

It's been solved,

It only affected the initial batches,

All that is required is a new motherboard,

Please use plain text.
mike125

@synth_fg
What's been solved? What are you basing this on? Am I suppose to just take your word on it?
I sent my phone in for repairs about a week ago - I'm assuming I won't see it for another 2 weeks or so - I really hope you're right.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
sivhead

I had no issues with my phone until I upgraded to the latest firmware,   1st of all bbc  iplayer stopped working.  then there was fix for this...  but since the update my phone keeps freezing and  have to switch it off all the time.  Now my phone willl not switch on.  It has power as the red light comes on and (the camera red eye).  and if I hold it down long enough it vibrates 3 times,  but does not display anything,

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

sivhead wrote:

I had no issues with my phone until I upgraded to the latest firmware,   1st of all bbc  iplayer stopped working.  then there was fix for this...  but since the update my phone keeps freezing and  have to switch it off all the time.  Now my phone willl not switch on.  It has power as the red light comes on and (the camera red eye).  and if I hold it down long enough it vibrates 3 times,  but does not display anything,

That's not the problem described by this thread,

sounds like a diferent hardware fault, take it to a care point and let them look at it

as for how I know about the power management issue,

I had it, took my phone to a carepoint shortly before nokia announced they had a problem, where a firmware reflash improved things for a while before the problem returned,

being me I destuctivly tested it for a while until the phone died completely.

I then took it back to the care point, it was sent away an the mother board replaced, took about 2 weeks, since then it's worked like a charm 

Please use plain text.
rjayw

I came to this topic because i have similar problems. Has anyone realsied that one has to go through 28; yes 28 pages of complaints to get to the end. Now that is a lot.

Nokia -it is time to wake up, wake up!

I bought mine late last year, it arrive DOA, sent it back, took a month turn around, worked a month and it froze. Sent it back, just received it from the repair centre, after one week. it froze, dead again.

have emailed Nokia since Wed 2nd March and no reply; no acknowlegemnt.

Nokia - it is time to throw in the towel and say we can't fix this problem.

Richard J Williams

Please use plain text.